GreaseSpot Cafe

17 years ago, John R. wrote to Rivenbark...

Rocky

John's wife Hope asked me to post this letter and some associated follow up. He wrote it and sent it 17 years ago this week. In a sense, it contains some of the same stated concerns the R & R group has stated much more recently. I think it's about 5 pages altogether.

Of course, more than 30 years ago, another group of then soon to be former TWI leaders tried to get the attention of the hardheaded and hardhearted hoarders of millions of ABS dollars.

So, for your reading pleasure, here's what John wrote in June 2000. Richeson Letter to Rivenbark June 2000.pdf

• Upvote 1

Splendid: same concerns ("these are specific things that are wrong"), same response ("come and see, things are different"), followed immediately by shunning. 

John knew that if he accepted the invite to go to HQ, he'd get a real face-melting.

And yes, pretty much that letter could have been written now.

• Upvote 2

The cult cannot survive out in the open.......it seeks the shadows and the darkness.

• Open discussions on the field and open internet forums will NEVER happen.
  • Rivenbark tried to take the upper-hand by extending a sappy "invite to hq."
  • Wierwille perceived that seclusion on a farm setting would build his cult.
  • It hasn't changed from its inception........and it ain't gonna change now.

Old McWierwille had a farm......ee i ee i o

And, on this farm he built a cult......and that's "the way" to go.

• Upvote 3

Thanks Rocky – and to John & Hope also for sharing that letter.

I get a kick out of Rivenbark’s answer to the issues John brought up…And now ladies and gentleman…drum roll please…we come to the magic portion of our show…The Grate and Malfeasant Rivenbark will attempt to make all TWI-negativity disappear – a feat that has only been duplicated by previous charlatans within the confines of their own compound:

“…I would like for you to come and visit us at headquarters. We’d house you and feed you, and show you around for a couple of days. This is the only way I know that could resolve your concerns. Come and see for yourself. Many of your points seem to reflect Internet defaming rather than what actually exists. I’d be happy to sit with you and discuss your suggestions.”

== == == == ==

Then, I love how John (in the response to Rivenbark’s invite to HQ) in various ways calls out bull$hit on her diversionary tactics:

“…Does the Word not work everywhere? Do you not have other communication methods available such as email or telephone?

Come and see what? Maybe things are fine at headquarters, but that is not the case on the field. Dr. Wierwille always taught that the life of the ministry is on the field in the household fellowships…”

== == == ==

Thanks again for sharing this letter it’s almost like an episode of Penn & Teller: Fool Us for cults.

Love and peace to John & Hope

T-Bone

• Upvote 1

I really loved this bit from John R's letter (though it appears he didn't get to send it before he got M&A'd:

...I would also like to extend an invitation to you and the board of Trustees to visit us here on the field to have an open discussion with all the household believers in Florida with a view towards concrete and godly solutions. We would be willing to house and feed you and would pay for your round trip plane fare.

Nice idea ... but ... venture out of the secure fortress of the household at HQ?? :rolleyes:

16 hours ago, skyrider said:

The cult cannot survive out in the open.......it seeks the shadows and the darkness.

• Open discussions on the field and open internet forums will NEVER happen.
  • Rivenbark tried to take the upper-hand by extending a sappy "invite to hq."
  • Wierwille perceived that seclusion on a farm setting would build his cult.
  • It hasn't changed from its inception........and it ain't gonna change now.

Old McWierwille had a farm......ee i ee i o

And, on this farm he built a cult......and that's "the way" to go.

Sky, of course he had a farm; he was a Pig!  :biglaugh: