GreaseSpot Cafe

Camp Gunnison - the Way Mausoleum West

chockfull

You know it was nice to learn table etiquette at the noon meal, but, I wonder if having 8 people to a table was a form of peer pressure.  You had to share, and couldn't take what you need, but what was equal.  If you took more than 1/8, you certainly felt like you were taking from someone else at the table.

1 hour ago, Bolshevik said:

You know it was nice to learn table etiquette at the noon meal, but, I wonder if having 8 people to a table was a form of peer pressure.  You had to share, and couldn't take what you need, but what was equal.  If you took more than 1/8, you certainly felt like you were taking from someone else at the table.

Bol, if I wanted to learn table etiquette, I would Goggle Emily Post. 

The food was fine - there wasn't much of what you might call junk food.  Many in my Corps lost weight.  But they had plenty to lose.  They looked a lot better for it, and were a lot fitter.  I, on the other hand, put on weight - and I looked a lot better for it.

Just now, Twinky said:

The food was fine - there wasn't much of what you might call junk food.  Many in my Corps lost weight.  But they had plenty to lose.  They looked a lot better for it, and were a lot fitter.  I, on the other hand, put on weight - and I looked a lot better for it.

Twinky, interesting post.  I didn't like the AC, but they did feed us well!!

On ‎7‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 8:47 PM, Bolshevik said:

I remember how we would mark the butter with a knife to divide it up into even pieces.

3 minutes ago, outandabout said:

Remember the plurality plate?  Dump the food you don't want on the plate for somebody else who did.  When we had liver, the plate was full.

I don't.

There was always salad left.  And yeah you would eye those last rolls if there were any.

Someone was always assigned as head honcho.  And everything was so clean when it was over.  All just a show?

Gawd, liver?

On 7/2/2017 at 9:47 PM, Bolshevik said:

That's why we would target sitting at a table with a bunch of young kids.....  

41 minutes ago, chockfull said:

I don't think the kids thought it was bullying.  They are just smaller and eat less out of the table portion allocated meals.  We were larger and hungrier.  

I knew that trick too.

Or show up last, and hope there's a table of 5 with 8 servings.

I used to sign up for the Water Table to help me lose weight.  Then I would regret it, so I would volunteer to serve at the line, and then take my meal when serving was over, to avoid getting caught "breaking my commitment."  I got a real long lecture from one of my Corps sisters because I ate extra salad while I was on "Mrs Wierwille's Diet" (that we could no longer call it)

4 hours ago, outandabout said:

I used to sign up for the Water Table to help me lose weight.  Then I would regret it, so I would volunteer to serve at the line, and then take my meal when serving was over, to avoid getting caught "breaking my commitment."  I got a real long lecture from one of my Corps sisters because I ate extra salad while I was on "Mrs Wierwille's Diet" (that we could no longer call it)

Out, I would never have made it through the Corps; too much nitpicking.  I love salad, but I know that many people don't.  I think I would have told her to go F- herself.  That probably would have gotten me kicked out.  But eating too much salad; who was she??  The Food Police??