GreaseSpot Cafe

How Literature Helped My Father and I Survive Life in a Cult

Rocky

This essay, written by a Professor of Literature, describes well life in a cult and how ideas break down the walls of isolation build inside the mind of members by cults of many varieties.

From Literary Hub July 6, 2017 by Rebecca Stott

When my father won the English prize at his grammar school in 1946 his teachers gave him a copy of Arthur Mee’s Book of Everlasting Things. He was seven. Though only certain books were allowed in Exclusive Brethren homes, my preacher grandfather examined the volume and pronounced it acceptable. “This was a serious mistake,” my father told me. “It would have been far safer to let me read Rover and Beano.”

“I knew there was a world outside the Brethren,” he said, referring to the closed Puritan sect into which he had been born, “but I’d seen nothing like this. The Brethren line was that literature, sculpture, painting and secular music—even human imagination itself—were all mischievous, frivolous and seductive distractions from the scriptures. The only important thing to God, we were told, was your reborn self in the Spirit.”

To my father’s surprise, sin, repentance and being-born-again weren’t mentioned in the Book of Everlasting Things. “A door opened up in the wall that had been built between me and “the world,”’ he said, “and I slipped through it.”

I have my father’s copies of Mee’s books on my bookshelves. They smell musty. The pages have yellowed. The Book of Everlasting Things, 352 pages long, contains extracts from great literature and art. The American Declaration of Independence sits next to Matthew Arnold; Henry Vaughan next to George Eliot. Later in the book there’s the best part of The Ancient Mariner, twelve pages of In Memoriam, nine pages of Samson Agonistes, Gray’s Elegy, five pages of Paradise Lost, the whole of Adonais—“in which, at the age of eight, I almost drowned,” my father wrote—a long passage from Robinson Crusoe, Shelley’s To a Skylark and Keats’ Ode to a Nightingale, whole speeches by Demosthenes and Pericles, eight pages from The Odyssey, Cicero’s Essay on Old Age, Plato’s account of the death of Socrates, Edward Fitzgerald’s Rubábaiyát of Omar Khayyám, five pages of the Areopagitica, eleven of Shakespeare’s Sonnets and several passages from his plays.

• Upvote 2

That's pretty awesome, Rocky.

I call to mind that all non-Way material was banned for 3 months after taking one's initial PFAL class.  And then discouraged thereafter.  On entering the WC training, all non-Way material was banned - permanently.

I know a bunch of ex Plymouth Brethren in my local area.  The women hated it and are glad to have escaped.  The men can't understand why the women couldn't have a voice, too (if women had a thought about something, they had to tell their husbands, who spoke for them).  Matter of fact, about 40 years ago, in a different area, I used to work with a woman, who would take her packed lunch to the nearby park and eat there.  On a couple of occasions, I went to talk to her and she would stop eating.  Very strict PB.  Sad.  Very quiet woman and never spoke up.  Now, I realise why.

There are a number of faith schools opening up in this country.  Faith might be Christian faith, or it might be Islamic, or any other faith.  They can set their own curricula within guidelines.  Fine - but do encourage children's critical thinking. 

It should be possible to examine good literature and draw from it.  For example, Shakespeare's plays endure because they continue to deal with enduring human problems - jealousy, lust, ambition.  Some of those themes could be considered in light of what could be done to overcome, say. jealousy.  Like, learn to communicate better.  The more open communication we have amongst ourselves, the better, in my opinion.

• Upvote 2

I

On 7/9/2017 at 3:36 AM, Twinky said:

That's pretty awesome, Rocky.

I call to mind that all non-Way material was banned for 3 months after taking one's initial PFAL class.  And then discouraged thereafter.  On entering the WC training, all non-Way material was banned - permanently.

I know a bunch of ex Plymouth Brethren in my local area.  The women hated it and are glad to have escaped.  The men can't understand why the women couldn't have a voice, too (if women had a thought about something, they had to tell their husbands, who spoke for them).  Matter of fact, about 40 years ago, in a different area, I used to work with a woman, who would take her packed lunch to the nearby park and eat there.  On a couple of occasions, I went to talk to her and she would stop eating.  Very strict PB.  Sad.  Very quiet woman and never spoke up.  Now, I realise why.

There are a number of faith schools opening up in this country.  Faith might be Christian faith, or it might be Islamic, or any other faith.  They can set their own curricula within guidelines.  Fine - but do encourage children's critical thinking. 

It should be possible to examine good literature and draw from it.  For example, Shakespeare's plays endure because they continue to deal with enduring human problems - jealousy, lust, ambition.  Some of those themes could be considered in light of what could be done to overcome, say. jealousy.  Like, learn to communicate better.  The more open communication we have amongst ourselves, the better, in my opinion.

Twinky, I can not even think what my childhood would have been like without books.  As bad as it was, I could escape through the magic of books.  Even after I took the class in 1978, I continued to read whatever I wanted; when I wanted to.  My mother didn't tell me what to read; no way was I going to let some man who didn't know me, tell me what to read. Besides, I thought the TWI books, were boring, and poorly-written. Books can be powerful; perhaps that was why VPW didn't want us to read non Way Material.  

On 7/6/2017 at 11:31 AM, Rocky said:

This essay, written by a Professor of Literature, describes well life in a cult and how ideas break down the walls of isolation build inside the mind of members by cults of many varieties.

From Literary Hub July 6, 2017 by Rebecca Stott

When my father won the English prize at his grammar school in 1946 his teachers gave him a copy of Arthur Mee’s Book of Everlasting Things.....(SNIP)....

To my father’s surprise, sin, repentance and being-born-again weren’t mentioned in the Book of Everlasting Things. “A door opened up in the wall that had been built between me and “the world,”’ he said, “and I slipped through it.”  (SNIP)

thanks for posting that essay Rocky !

I love that one line i highlighted in bold red....so appropriate for Grease Spot....makes me think of all those things our mind accumulates - things outside what is "approved" by TWI - and when some crisis hits - or we merely reach a tipping point - we leave 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, T-Bone said:

thanks for posting that essay Rocky !

I love that one line i highlighted in bold red....so appropriate for Grease Spot....makes me think of all those things our mind accumulates - things outside what is "approved" by TWI - and when some crisis hits - or we merely reach a tipping point - we leave 

T-Bone, can you imagine what our lives would be like today, if we had stayed??  My life today is wonderful, but I think of the people who stayed in Way World.  I wonder how happy their lives really are.

2 hours ago, Grace Valerie Claire said:

T-Bone, can you imagine what our lives would be like today, if we had stayed??  My life today is wonderful, but I think of the people who stayed in Way World.  I wonder how happy their lives really are.

Grace, your post made me laugh – because a long long time ago when I was in TWI, I would occasionally think about the future of my life and could not imagine a life apart from the ministry. Funny how it’s the opposite now – almost makes me shudder to imagine what if I never left…well, for one thing – we wouldn’t be having this conversation. :biglaugh:

Yeah and sometimes I think about folks that are still in TWI or an offshoot – for them maybe Grease Spot is like that door Rebecca Stott talked about – an opening in the wall erected by the cult…

psssssttttt hey there folks still living in way-world, how’s your escape plan coming? Ssshhhhh – don’t say anything about it now! I’m just trying to be friendly. Be smart about it…top priority should be the safety and security of you and your family; you owe the way international nothing ! we’re here to help.

Edited by T-Bone
flair
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, T-Bone said:

Grace, your post made me laugh – because a long long time ago when I was in TWI, I would occasionally think about the future of my life and could not imagine a life apart from the ministry. Funny how it’s the opposite now – almost makes me shudder to imagine what if I never left…well, for one thing – we wouldn’t be having this conversation. :biglaugh:

Yeah and sometimes I think about folks that are still in TWI or an offshoot – for them maybe Grease Spot is like that door Rebecca Stott talked about – an opening in the wall erected by the cult…

psssssttttt hey there folks still living in way-world, how’s your escape plan coming? Ssshhhhh – don’t say anything about it now! I’m just trying to be friendly. Be smart about it…top priority should be the safety and security of you and your family; you owe the way international nothing ! we’re here to help.

T-Bone, I used to think I would be in the Way for the rest of my life, until I took the AC in the summer of 1985.  Boring, boring, boring!! I quietly left a few years later, and I am glad I left.  No more cults for me!!  One was enough to last me, the rest of my life.

11 minutes ago, Grace Valerie Claire said:

T-Bone, I used to think I would be in the Way for the rest of my life, until I took the AC in the summer of 1985.  Boring, boring, boring!! I quietly left a few years later, and I am glad I left.  No more cults for me!!  One was enough to last me, the rest of my life.

yup - so true for a lot of us.....it's funny because before I got in the way ministry, I had the typical Roman Catholic boy frame of mind - so thinking about who I was going to spend the rest of life with involved thoughts of just one other person besides myself – my future wife…I never intended to marry an entire cult....geeez Louise - having to remember that many more birthdays and anniversaries - it's mind-boggling  ! :biglaugh:

• Upvote 1