GreaseSpot Cafe

A Lot of Things, Kids

Bolshevik

2 hours ago, Bolshevik said:

I wonder how much TWI doctrine can be attributed to literal drunken rambling.  What little teachings I've heard by VPW (and his classes) he did generally force claims. IMO

LCM was also forceful, clearly.  I don't know that he has the reputation of being under the influence of anything.

But LCM was a follower of VPW fairly young, right?  I gather he was a reflection of cult processing.

Yes, he did... 1) Delusions of grandeur and 2) sense of entitlement. Especially when it came to sexual favors.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Rocky said:

Yes, he did... 1) Delusions of grandeur and 2) sense of entitlement. Especially when it came to sexual favors.

Correct as I understand.

VPW's abuse of substance would have relatively, permanently screwed up his wiring.  He was an evil robot.

LCM did not use drugs or alcohol like VPW did is what I understand.  But, he learned to be motivated by what VPW taught him.  

Later . . .

In an STS, LCM would shout nonsense, people in the crowd would clap and cheer.  Nonsense was celebrated with positive reinforcement.  Which would affect both the speaker, LCM, and the every individual in the crowd to some degree.  Their minds would then associate garbage with good.  (Unless they resisted).

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Bolshevik said:

Correct as I understand.

VPW's abuse of substance would have relatively, permanently screwed up his wiring.  He was an evil robot.

LCM did not use drugs or alcohol like VPW did is what I understand.  But, he learned to be motivated by what VPW taught him.  

Later . . .

In an STS, LCM would shout nonsense, people in the crowd would clap and cheer.  Nonsense was celebrated with positive reinforcement.  Which would affect both the speaker, LCM, and the every individual in the crowd to some degree.  Their minds would then associate garbage with good.  (Unless they resisted).

Bol, I keep reading, and rereading your post.  I never understood why people would clap, and cheer when LCM spoke some nonsense; now I do.  Bol, thanks for the information!!

Adults also tend to search for meaning, particularly during times of uncertainty, research suggests. A 2008 study in Science (Vol. 322, No. 5898) by Jennifer Whitson, PhD, and Adam Galinsky, PhD, found that people were more likely to see patterns in a random display of dots if the researchers first primed them to feel that the participants had no control. This finding suggests that people are primed to see signs and patterns in the world around them, the researchers conclude.

People also have a bias for believing in the supernatural, says Barrett. In his work, he finds that children as young as age 3 naturally attribute supernatural abilities and immortality to “God,” even if they’ve never been taught about God, and they tell elaborate stories about their lives before they were born, what Barrett calls “pre-life.”

“What we’re showing is that our basic cognitive equipment biases us toward certain kinds of thinking and leads to thinking about a pre-life, an afterlife, gods, invisible beings that are doing things — themes common to most of the world’s religions,” says Barrett.

From A Reason to Believe

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Grace Valerie Claire said:

Bol, I keep reading, and rereading your post.  I never understood why people would clap, and cheer when LCM spoke some nonsense; now I do.  Bol, thanks for the information!!

I am restating points other folks have already made and thought through on this website if you keep reading.  Just putting pieces together in my own head.

And Rocky posted some more cool info, meaning there's more modifications of that understanding to make.

2 hours ago, Rocky said:

Adults also tend to search for meaning, particularly during times of uncertainty, research suggests. A 2008 study in Science (Vol. 322, No. 5898) by Jennifer Whitson, PhD, and Adam Galinsky, PhD, found that people were more likely to see patterns in a random display of dots if the researchers first primed them to feel that the participants had no control. This finding suggests that people are primed to see signs and patterns in the world around them, the researchers conclude.

People also have a bias for believing in the supernatural, says Barrett. In his work, he finds that children as young as age 3 naturally attribute supernatural abilities and immortality to “God,” even if they’ve never been taught about God, and they tell elaborate stories about their lives before they were born, what Barrett calls “pre-life.”

“What we’re showing is that our basic cognitive equipment biases us toward certain kinds of thinking and leads to thinking about a pre-life, an afterlife, gods, invisible beings that are doing things — themes common to most of the world’s religions,” says Barrett.

From A Reason to Believe

4 hours ago, Grace Valerie Claire said:

IMHO, religion may be the worse

" drug" in History.:realmad:

I used to think that.

But. 

Religion got humanity through.  It should be given some credit, in spite of some faults.

Considering, Karl Marx didn't exactly help humanity in any real great leap forward.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Bolshevik said:

I used to think that.

But. 

Religion got humanity through.  It should be given some credit, in spite of some faults.

Considering, Karl Marx didn't exactly help humanity in any real great leap forward.

Karl Marx studied politics, philosophy, and economics, each to varying degrees.

He was neither a student of theology, nor pharmacology, nor sociology.

In other words, he was neither an expert in religion, or opiates, nor the masses (except in how to control them).

So, forgive me if I don't subscribe to his statement.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, WordWolf said:

Karl Marx studied politics, philosophy, and economics, each to varying degrees.

He was neither a student of theology, nor pharmacology, nor sociology.

In other words, he was neither an expert in religion, or opiates, nor the masses (except in how to control them).

So, forgive me if I don't subscribe to his statement.

right

Karl Marx, or those who subscribed to his ideas, tried to impose a new way of thinking onto nations, millions died for it.  

So I wouldn't make VPW's cult equal with religion.  At least I'm convinced cults and religions arise differently.

I do know Waybrain changes the meaning of things in a person's mind.  Everything.  And alters how they come to decisions.

• Upvote 1

On 7/28/2017 at 6:46 PM, Bolshevik said:

Yeah, when read it I saw the mixing.  You know?

You know, like scream one second, silence the next, then scream, then silence.  They had a term for that when leadership did that.   In praise of that.

After awhile it makes no difference.  Tone of voice loses meaning.  Everything sounds like a scream.

Here they mix meaningless with modestly meaningful.

You just, iron everything out to mean the same thing.

Might have been called "gear shifting"  . . . there was a term, I believe that, think that was likely it.

Leadership seemed to think it was a sign of great control.  A superior understanding of of multiple complex situations.  

But really they're always over-simplifying by reducing meaning of words, emotions, situations almost to single meanings.  That way they can squash a spider by burning the house down and calling that a victory.