GreaseSpot Cafe

The Way Biblical Research - New Slogans

chockfull

5 hours ago, chockfull said:

To achieve Way enlightenment, the follower will put aside all other reading materials and focus solely on the plagiarized works of VP Wierwille. 

When did this nonsense come about?  Perhaps it's said in jest, as it wasn't so back in the day.  Nearest I can recall anything to that was a mention to put all reading material aside other than Romans thru Thessalonians for 3 months...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TLC said:

When did this nonsense come about?  Perhaps it's said in jest, as it wasn't so back in the day.  Nearest I can recall anything to that was a mention to put all reading material aside other than Romans thru Thessalonians for 3 months...

Wierwille declared it in PFLAP. Of course he didn't admit to plagiarizing and he didn't use the word "enlightenment." But he did make the big fat claim that people should put away their reading material for three months and read only twi books and pflap collaterals.

3 hours ago, krys said:

I remember it just as Rocky has stated.

I know pfal said to put all other reading materials aside for 3 months.  I'm unclear whether it was EXPLICITLY STATED (as in "only read the materials for this class") or whether it was another one of his implications (as in, everyone said that's what he meant, it was clear he meant it from the context, but exactly what to read was left deliberately vague.)  Since vpw made it a policy to speak vaguely and lawyer out the distinctions if caught, I suspect it was the latter.   I know people told me to read twi materials and put other stuff aside.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, TLC said:

Stage 3 of the brainwashing process is to remove memory of steps 1 and 2 from the brain.

OK.  Now that was in jest.   

:spy:

10 hours ago, WordWolf said:

I'm unclear whether it was EXPLICITLY STATED (as in "only read the materials for this class") or whether it was another one of his implications

Though my recollection of it isn't exact (as in, when and where it was said), there is no mistake in the takeaway from it (at least in my mind.)  In fact, the general atmosphere (at least, as I recall it) was fairly well captured in a large billboard that sat out on bend in the corner of Hwy 29 depicting an open bible, with the words "Read it for yourself."

Exactly when (or for how long) that sign was up, I don't know.  Maybe it was taken down when a basic appreciation for that particular message was lost.

I remember this as well.  

Start with reading material.

Then remove worldly music for Way Prod.

SIT for an hour per day in place of your own thoughts

Time with worldly contacts with TWI events. 

etc. etc.

And then after 3 months, why stop?  That's like a dog going back on its vomit.

12 hours ago, WordWolf said:

I know pfal said to put all other reading materials aside for 3 months.  I'm unclear whether it was EXPLICITLY STATED (as in "only read the materials for this class") or whether it was another one of his implications (as in, everyone said that's what he meant, it was clear he meant it from the context, but exactly what to read was left deliberately vague.)  Since vpw made it a policy to speak vaguely and lawyer out the distinctions if caught, I suspect it was the latter.   I know people told me to read twi materials and put other stuff aside.

Just for the record, here’s something related to that:

…As I tell many of the people in my classes: get rid of your other reading material for a while and read the Word of God. If, for the next three months, you give your life primarily to reading and studying the Epistles that are addressed to you and then apply the principles by renewing your mind, three months from now you won’t recognize yourself. You will be such a dynamic person. You will be manifesting the renewed mind and having your prayers answered. You will see signs, miracles and wonders.

End of excerpt…from the PFAL book, page 334, the chapter "Renewing One’s Mind"

== == == ==

Though the above paragraph from the PFAL book seems pretty much straight forward and innocuous in its recommendation – one must also consider how this was interpreted by local leadership as they “under-shepherded” new grads and I’m sure there was some variation…but…

I can tell you from my personal experience there seemed to be a rather laid-back approach by my Twig coordinator when dealing with me, which was usually pointing me back to the PFAL class materials. After I took the class I read through the entire Bible a couple of times within that year – and had a lot of questions – especially about stuff in the Old Testament and the Gospels…

I’d bring up many of these issues and questions to my Twig coordinator – a lot of them were of course outside the realm of PFAL stuff…This may have been somewhat irksome to him – or maybe he just did not want to stray outside the familiar territory of PFAL – but after a while of my “pestering” he would often remind me of that recommendation in PFAL to read the Epistles that were addressed to me AND he also tacked on for good measure, to review all the PFAL material – and keep at it...alas, he was a harbinger for the way corps program which I would enter years later...while in residence - I heard it often and in so many different ways - the essence of which was "master PFAL, then you will really see the greatness of the Word  !:asdf:

Edited by T-Bone
clarity
  • Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, T-Bone said:

If, for the next three months, you give your life primarily to reading and studying the Epistles that are addressed to you and then apply the principles by renewing your mind, three months from now you won’t recognize yourself.

Thank you, T-Bone.  Maybe my memory isn't so bad and I'm not so crazy after all, eh?

• Like 1

Hey Grease Spotters,

it's Way Back Wednesday – time for an ancient slogan from some way corps’ brain cell that’s been pickled in Drambuie brine and hermetically sealed in a way corps coffee mug:

Master PFAL

Make it your own

That’s what wierwille did

For those who have lost or misplaced their Grease Spot Secret Decoder Ring – please note the twofold message in the above slogan:

It’s encouraging grads to thoroughly learn the PFAL material while simultaneously endorsing plagiarism.

Edited by T-Bone
typical after tuesday typos...please note the Grease Spot Secret Decoder Ring is not affiliated with the movies "Christmas Story" or "The Ring"
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, GeorgeStGeorge said:

Drawing on memories from 40 years ago, I seem to recall VP, in PFAL, suggesting that one put away all reading, for a few months, except the Bible and biblical research materials (which, of course, would have included the PFAL books).

Again, that was a LONG time ago.

George

George, that's exactly what I remember from the PFAL class, which I took 40 years ago.

Hey 'Spotters.  What up? 

Oh the drama.  Were we really told to read the epistles for the next 3 months?  Or were we told the collaterals too?  Oh the hairs to split.  Perhaps there are some who were so astute that they got the meaning of the Blue book entitled "The Bible Tells Me So" and just went on to read only the Bible rather than the blue book.  Not I.  I was questioned profusely as to my mastery of the collaterals by my Limb Coordinator prior to being approved to take the Advanced PLAF class as a little leaflet on a mighty paper mache tree.

Was this further reinforced in the Corpse?  Why yes.  If you don't have an educational curriculum, make one up.  Make the Corpse retake the classes in mind numbing slowness.  Review it 4 hrs a day in study hall.  So when these Corpse got onto the field and ran practically all of the classes in the ministry they definitely were interpreting VP to be speaking in a broader sense to include a review of the collaterals.  There were planned teaching times into the yearly calendar to cover them also.  I remember this one asssistant Corpse coord that would try to answer every question he had posed to him out of the collaterals.  Fun times there.  

Now time to get out of here before there is more collateral damage.  Get it?

:jump:

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Jimbo said:

If you don’t agree with our research and teaching you have a devil spirit, but we can take care of that for the right amount.

Please note the disclaimer in fine print:

if you do not pay your exorcist bill you could get re-possessed

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 4/18/2018 at 5:07 PM, Grace Valerie Claire said:

George, that's exactly what I remember from the PFAL class, which I took 40 years ago.

George, that was a long time ago but that is it pretty much it in a nutshell!

• Upvote 1

Along with the suggestion to put away all reading material for 3 months except the Bible (epistles) and PFAL material I remember being taught or hearing, that was a long time ago, to read Ephesians every day for a month and at the end of the month you won’t know yourself. Does anyone remember this?

Yes, I remember something vaguely like that.  And "Ephesians - the breakfast of champions."  Or some such.  But --- want some kool-aid with that?

How about: "PFAL - the sedative for all your worries"?

Or: "PFAL - for the pi$$ that passes all understanding"?

• Like 3

You may already be a winner!

Just take our class to find out.

Please note the following disclaimers:

You may already be a loser, depending on your believing. No purchase necessary - however there is a minimum  required donation. You may take the class as many times as you wish, provided you help with setup, refreshments, and getting new students to class on time. Desired results may vary depending on how much you would like to think you’ve achieved. Questions, concerns, and complaints will be handled at the very, very end of your involvement with the class -  presumably years from now, when you are on your deathbed wondering if you had made the wrong decision to take the class.

• Like 1

On 4/18/2018 at 6:23 PM, chockfull said:

Hey 'Spotters.  What up? 

Oh the drama.  Were we really told to read the epistles for the next 3 months?  Or were we told the collaterals too?  Oh the hairs to split.  Perhaps there are some who were so astute that they got the meaning of the Blue book entitled "The Bible Tells Me So" and just went on to read only the Bible rather than the blue book.  Not I.  I was questioned profusely as to my mastery of the collaterals by my Limb Coordinator prior to being approved to take the Advanced PLAF class as a little leaflet on a mighty paper mache tree.

Was this further reinforced in the Corpse?  Why yes.  If you don't have an educational curriculum, make one up.  Make the Corpse retake the classes in mind numbing slowness.  Review it 4 hrs a day in study hall.  So when these Corpse got onto the field and ran practically all of the classes in the ministry they definitely were interpreting VP to be speaking in a broader sense to include a review of the collaterals.  There were planned teaching times into the yearly calendar to cover them also.  I remember this one asssistant Corpse coord that would try to answer every question he had posed to him out of the collaterals.  Fun times there.  

Now time to get out of here before there is more collateral damage.  Get it?

:jump:

I know of a corpse person who assigned study of the blue book as marriage counselling for a couple who were really struggling.  Yep, not any books or teachings on relationships or marriage, only the blue book.

On 5/2/2018 at 1:37 AM, Twinky said:

Yes, I remember something vaguely like that.  And "Ephesians - the breakfast of champions."  Or some such.  But --- want some kool-aid with that?

How about: "PFAL - the sedative for all your worries"?

Or: "PFAL - for the pi$$ that passes all understanding"?

PFAL we charge you for what everyone else gives for free!

Come sit at the feet of Gamaliel the Elder and experience Enlightened Biblical Research

Errr....  no..... not Gamaliel....

How about

Victor the Drambuie Infused Lecher....?

or

Loy the Second String Football/Dance Star...?

or

Rosie the Passive-Aggressive  ...?  

No, dead, not available, doesn't teach.

Maybe the slogan needs a bit of modification.....

Come listen to hours on end of a so-called Biblical Research class put together by re-arranging a drunken plagiarist lecher's stolen works and taught by human mimes who get replaced every few years.  Then give us your money and subscribe to our teachings and magazine so we can monitor you.  Love you,  the [Soylent Green] Way International.

On 5/2/2018 at 11:40 PM, penguin2 said:

I know of a corpse person who assigned study of the blue book as marriage counselling for a couple who were really struggling.  Yep, not any books or teachings on relationships or marriage, only the blue book.

That comes from thinking that vpw's teachings=Bible, and Blue Book=really critical Bible.   From there, it's a short hop to "the answer to all problems lies in rereading the Blue Book enough times."  That's how they got there. Small steps with small sips of the Kool-Aid at any one time.