GreaseSpot Cafe

I miss weatherman Raf!

GeorgeStGeorge

I imagine it's a little late for a "Cone of Harvey," though our friends in Louisiana might think otherwise.

I've been able to avoid the devastation which has hit thousands of people in Houston and Corpus Christi.  In my part of Pearland, there have been no utility outages.  The streets have flooded, but no homes in danger.  (There are no rivers/creeks/bayous in this area.  Eastern Pearland has had some more significant flooding.) I haven't been able to leave since Friday, but I've got enough food for at least two to three days, and I expect to be able to get out tomorrow sometime.  I'm thankful that it's only been an annoyance, here, not a disaster. 

I'd use an emoticon, but none of them seem appropriate.

George

Hang in there George ! Our thoughts and prayers are with you and all the folks in trouble...I heard on NPR today the city management of Dallas and Fort Worth are prepping to provide shelter, food basic medical services to thousands of evacuees.

I'm glad for your safety and relatively inconsequential effects of the storm. That being said....I cannot imagine how hard it must be for those waiting it out in various shelters...and for those folks down the line....how long will it take to regain a sense of normalcy. I don't know if I could handle things as well as those I've seen interviewed in the media.

I wonder how many will have to leave the area to obtain jobs, housing and schooling for their children. This is going to be one of those catastrophes that make decades to recover from.

• Upvote 1

Thanks George! Those are the kinds of things I wouldn't likely see from way over here. You, being closer to those events would hear about them before I would ordinarily. Many in the media here have certainly pointed out the way the local folks have teamed together. That makes me really glad to be a member of the human race as it isn't likely as doomed as some would have us believe!

I am not evacuating. Just hunkering down and bracing for impact.

I was hoping the storm track would do what they always seem to do, which is shift significantly east or west as each day passes. But with every passing day it is becoming clearer and clearer that South Florida is going to be bitch slapped like we haven't been since Andrew.

Considering 2005, when we endured round 1 of Katrina and the full force of Wilma, that's a powerful statement.

I want to be wrong. But the forecast models are getting better and more accurate.

It's shifting to our west. Not good, unless it pushes FAR west.

Matthew (last year) was supposed to be a direct hit and shifted east as it got closer, sparing us the brunt of the storm.

A lunge to the left would be great for us in South Florida but potentially catastrophic for the panhandle, Alabama, Mississippi and Georgia. So no wishing that on anyone.

We shall see we shall see we shall see.

I'd wonder how Raf is posting without the power grid, but there's lots of possible answers (battery power, generator... his house still has power or he moved to a hotel with its own generator....) 

With local news here slow this weekend,we actually have had a lot of Miami coverage. (Especially last night, when we got a local thunderstorm here so everyone stayed at home and nothing happened.)  So, we're watching coverage of Miami, with rain outside adding verisimilitude to the live reports.   My favorite was a woman staying in Miami, who said she was confident the thing wasn't going to be as bad as they described...maybe it would shrink to a Category 1 before it arrived.   Personally, I don't think storms tend to jump directly from Cat5 to Cat1, but then I'm not a weatherman.  

I was watching NBC this morning and Lester, Al, and Dylan were going over how bad the storm surge aspect is...I never knew that - and then they showed a short clip of one guy standing by sea wall videoing with phone and a big surge/wave  of water just violently shoved him backwards over some heavy duty guard rail! 

Hang in there Raf, hope you're stocked up on essentials and hope the power returns soon.

On 9/10/2017 at 11:02 AM, WordWolf said:

I'd wonder how Raf is posting without the power grid, but there's lots of possible answers (battery power, generator... his house still has power or he moved to a hotel with its own generator....) 

With local news here slow this weekend,we actually have had a lot of Miami coverage. (Especially last night, when we got a local thunderstorm here so everyone stayed at home and nothing happened.)  So, we're watching coverage of Miami, with rain outside adding verisimilitude to the live reports.   My favorite was a woman staying in Miami, who said she was confident the thing wasn't going to be as bad as they described...maybe it would shrink to a Category 1 before it arrived.   Personally, I don't think storms tend to jump directly from Cat5 to Cat1, but then I'm not a weatherman.  

As long as I had cell service, I could post. I also had a backup battery and could charge my phone in my car. Once I lost cell service, I got reeeeal quiet.

And once everything came back on, GSC was not a priority.

So I'm fine. My mango tree isn't. My kids' trampoline isn't. But I'm fine.

• Upvote 2

On 8/30/2017 at 7:05 PM, GeorgeStGeorge said:

There are a lot of heartwarming stories.  This one really caught my attention.  It was almost like something out of a movie (or comic book).

https://www.yahoo.com/news/texans-form-human-chain-rescue-171503730.html

George

George, I am so happy that you are doing well, all things considered.:offtopic:I know this is a bit gross, but my oldest brother is a retired Funeral Director in the Huston area.  He is often asked to help find bodies after floods.  I couldn't do it, but he can handle dealing with death.  Someone has to do this, as gross as it is.