GreaseSpot Cafe

Advent Sunday

Twinky

It's Advent Sunday - the church's start to the Christmas season, a time of expectant and joyful preparation.
Blessing, peace and joy to all my friends. And also to those who are not yet friends.

This week's theme is HOPE - expectantly looking forward to the coming of the promised Redeemer.
Isaiah 9:1-7 - - the hope of breaking every yoke of all the oppressors [Syrians and Assyrians, at the time], of the burning of all their weapons of oppression; of the coming of a great light and the coming of the government of peace, the Wonderful Counselor.

Those people had a wonderful hope to look forward to.
And we too have a wonderful hope of the "second coming" to look forward to, in just the same way.

And we have more immediate "hopes" - for a better year, for a better job, for our families and friends.
What are YOU hoping for, for this coming Christmas season and for 2018?

Here in the U.S., there isn't much focus on Advent. Sure, we still have the Advent calendars. The kids see them as a source for a daily chocolate treat more than something symbolic.

Anyway, my hope for the approaching season and new year is that we may enjoy good health and strive to treat each other with respect and good intention.

Thanks for the thread, Twinky.

• Upvote 1

The general populace of the UK doesn't focus on Advent either, just on a spending splurge, lots of parties and booze, a few carols, and decorating trees.

When I lived in a southern hemisphere country, not only is Advent unknown, Christmas is pretty low key too.  A great excuse for extended time off work on one's long summer holiday.  The places where I worked (in legal offices) often closed for a huge 4 or 5 week holiday from <>23 Dec to end of third week of Jan... or a bit longer.  (That's because the courts are usually closed then.)  This was a bit of a luxury - other offices and businesses usually only close for a couple or three weeks.

That's why it's good to be reminded of what Advent is about, and what "Christmas" is supposed to be about.  Not an event that TWI ever considered, or focused on.  But it is worth taking the time to slow down, think of things to come, and plan with hope and expectation.  Joyful anticipation... excitement... real celebration. 

Advent has been a part of the Christian "church year" internationally since the fifth century at least - possibly long before.  Not just a UK event.

Edited by Twinky
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Twinky said:

It's Advent Sunday - the church's start to the Christmas season, a time of expectant and joyful preparation.
Blessing, peace and joy to all my friends. And also to those who are not yet friends.

This week's theme is HOPE - expectantly looking forward to the coming of the promised Redeemer.
Isaiah 9:1-7 - - the hope of breaking every yoke of all the oppressors [Syrians and Assyrians, at the time], of the burning of all their weapons of oppression; of the coming of a great light and the coming of the government of peace, the Wonderful Counselor.

Those people had a wonderful hope to look forward to.
And we too have a wonderful hope of the "second coming" to look forward to, in just the same way.

And we have more immediate "hopes" - for a better year, for a better job, for our families and friends.
What are YOU hoping for, for this coming Christmas season and for 2018?

Twinky, great post.  I am looking forward to 2018, because it is one year closer to retirement. I plan on collecting SS in 2019.  Also, I think the WH will have new occupants. But man plans, and God laughs.

• 2 months later...

Lutherans, Episcopalians/Anglicans, Roman Catholics, United Methodists, Moravians observe Advent. While official Presbyterians and Reformed Churches list it in their hymnals and books of worship, not all congregations observe it.