GreaseSpot Cafe

Brief Bio

Kathy Niclaus

Since I joined in order to post to a different forum, I thought putting some background information on myself would be a good preface in case someone thinks "so who is this person who wrote this?"  I am posting comments I made 20 months ago on a Facebook page called "The Way International: we used to belong to a cult." The topic are the similarities I found between VPW/TWI and L. Ron Hubbard and Scientology.  So here's my brief bio:

I come to this site once or twice a year, having been out (thanks Dave Patterson and Michael Fort for the favor!) in excess of 22 years now.  I was active in CFF from the group's inception but a visit to the annual Family Reunion in 2006 made me aware of the herd mentality that is prevalent in groups. Since then extensive reading of the works of Bart Ehrman, the bona fide living expert on the NT, in conjunction with returning to college and learning empirical science have rendered me an apostate. I openly admit it. Agnostic is as far as I choose to identify; like Bill Maher I profess to belong to "The Church of 'I don't know." Ten years ago if I was reading this I would think how tragic, how can a person not believe, but I no longer believe that any religion conclusively has a divine doctrine. I am not ruling out the possibility but I no longer believe that the bible is the source of truth.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Welcome to Grease Spot , Kathy !

I enjoyed reading your thread on parallels of wierwille and Hubbard. I watched the “going clear” documentary when it first came out on HBO (I think) and later bought the dvd, the book on which it’s based and then a few other books on Scientology. But I still love to hear other folks’ take on that stuff. “Great” cults do think alike...more like group-think, that is.

I appreciate your honesty and how you’ve been developing critical thinking skills - those things resonate with me...since I’ve been coming to Grease Spot I’ve felt that much of my belief system is in a state of flux - yeah in many ways I’d probably qualify  as a member of “the Church of I don’t know “ myself...on that note, you might want to check out a thread in doctrinal forum titled “Concerning the Bible” - if you feel so inspired by all means please share something of your journey... I find the things that folks say about their journey away from group-think is inspirational...fascinating...enlightening...

Enjoy the coffee and threads

Love & peace

T-Bone

• Upvote 1

Hey since this is a cafe can I get a piece of pie with that coffee?  LOL that is a memory of Auglaize and Shelby counties- little luncheonettes that ran afternoon "Pie and Coffee" specials, with a bunch of farmers sitting around the counter.

Sure - look over the desert menu - and the pie and coffee is on me...I’m waiting for Grease Spot to hire a Starbucks barista so I can order a caramel macchiato...who needs pie when you can have it mixed in your coffee - for Grease Spotters on the go.

LOL, remember Steve Martin in "The Jerk" eating his Cup O' Pizza?  Pie in a cup- it's the natural progression for Grease Spotters on the go.

52 minutes ago, Kathy Niclaus said:

LOL, remember Steve Martin in "The Jerk" eating his Cup O' Pizza?  Pie in a cup- it's the natural progression for Grease Spotters on the go.

Pizza in a Cup !!!!!  :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

I also love the carnival scene of him as The Guesser and the way he severely limits the choice of prizes.

“The Jerk” is one of my wife and I’s all time favorites...when we were in TWI it was one of our go-to references when we wanted to lighten up a situation....that and Steve’s comedy CDs too.

Kathy, you gotta watch that T-Bone.  He'll have you sputtering with laughter over your coffee in no time.

By the way, T-Bone.  We left the "desert menu" behind (thank God), and snack out on "desserts" now.  :spy:  I'll have apple pie and ice cream, please.

7 hours ago, T-Bone said:

Pizza in a Cup !!!!!  :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

I also love the carnival scene of him as The Guesser and the way he severely limits the choice of prizes.

“The Jerk” is one of my wife and I’s all time favorites...when we were in TWI it was one of our go-to references when we wanted to lighten up a situation....that and Steve’s comedy CDs too.

I was born a poor black child...

3 hours ago, Rocky said:

I was born a poor black child...

:biglaugh: :biglaugh:

Ahem ahem ...(regains composure) Oh really?

Well, if you don’t mind - please be honest during the identity verification process:

Question #1: Do you think Blues music is depressing?

Question #2: Do you prefer a tuna fish sandwich, Twinkies and a Tab for your birthday meal?

23 minutes ago, Twinky said:

Twinkies?  In the plural?  There's only one of me!!

Twinky

this thread is not all about you!

It’s about Rocky...I mean, his Steve Martin references...no wait..  .(reviews the minutes of the previous meetings)...uhm I think Kathy started the Steve Martin references.... (scratches head, does several rounds of relaxing breaths)  ya know what - - this thread IS about Kathy...sorry about the detour - once again welcome to Grease Spot, Kathy !

• Like 1