GreaseSpot Cafe

Parallels between VPW and L. Ron Hubbard

Kathy Niclaus

In April 2016 I stumbled across a Facebook account titled "The Way International: we used to be cult members."  I posted on the comment wall about the similarities between two religious organizations that began post WWII- The Way International and The Church of Scientology.  Since parallels have been recently mentioned in the thread about R&R, I have chosen to post my comments here (which include my opinion) for what it's worth:

"There is an excellent documentary available on HBO that is quite elucidating. (Cable or Satellite subscription are not required to view it. HBO NOW is the recently added streaming channel that can be viewed on a computer, tablet, phone, Roku, and other modalities. There is even a free trial period offered.)

The documentary is titled "Going Clear: Scientology and the Prison of Belief." What does this have to do with The Way International? In my opinion, everything.

Viewing the documentary, I saw so very many parallels between the inception, formation, programs, and insider jargon used in Scientology, and those used by The Way International.

During the post-WWII period when Victor P. Wierwille was the minister of the church in Van Wert, and after the "Vesper Chimes Hour" radio show had begun broadcast, a pulp fiction writer named L. Ron Hubbard had an epiphany. That epiphany was that a good way to become wealthy was to start a church and a religion. He wrote "Dianetics" and started traveling the USA, teaching seminars and classes. Hubbard exaggerated his experience as a WWII Navy officer, embellished the story, and included that in his self-presentation.

Both The Way International (hereafter to be referred to as TWI) and the Church of Scientology ( hereafter to be referred to as COS) started with a singular individual who rose to prominence as the founder, and prophet figure of the organization.

Both Wierwille and Hubbard obfuscated facts about their experiences and education.

Both utilized a multi-step program of offering classes and sessions that came at a price, each with the promise of increased insight and knowledge of things not commonly known outside of the organization.

Both started an organization for the most dedicated of volunteers based on a military program: Hubbard started the SEA Org, the COS equivalent of TWI Way Corps. Both programs required intensive, in residence training that utilized sleep deprivation, long hours of labor, and concentrated indoctrination. Both programs required that the volunteer members join for life; both programs instilled in volunteers a sense of giving their lives in service not only to the organization, but also to humanity and the world on a whole.

For those persons not able to participate in the dedicated service program, the teachings and level of knowledge usually afforded only to those individuals was available for a price, after the applicant was recommended by a leader based on their proven devotion. In the COS, this was the program of attaining levels of being Clear, until a person was an operationg Thetan. In TWI, this program was known as The University of Life. Both organizations enticed people with the dangling carrot of a knowledge reserved only for the most dedicated and elite.

In both organizations, the founding leader was alternately referred to by their initials- in the COS, L. Ron Hubbard is affectionately called "LRH" and in TWI, Victor Paul Wierwille is known as "VPW."

Both organizations engage in the practice of labeling persons outside of the organization, especially those who are former adherents. Both organizations issue unofficial decrees to active members to remove themselves from the company of former members, and actively cause divisions in families. The COS categorizes people as "SP" for suppressive person, in the same fashion that TWI uses "M&A" for mark and avoid.

Both organizations replaced the founder with an even more malevolent and controlling leader; the COS with David Miscavage, TWI first with L. Craig Martindale, and most recently, Rosalie Rivenbark.

Both organizations have had active investigation by the IRS, and had suspended non-profit church status for a period of years until a legal agreement was reached.

Both organizations impress upon their adherents the importance of donating to support the organization, and expect a generous portion of the adherents' wages and assets.

My opinion is that Victor Wierwille heard about Hubbard and to put it figuratively, took notes. Both organizations cohesively laid their blueprint in the 1950s. I don't think it is a coincidence."

Addendum:

"Scientology believes that humans are inhabited by intangible lifeforms who influence their thoughts and actions, and that only by auditing can a person become clear. The Way teaches that people's brains and bodies host intangible lifeforms in the way of devil spirits, who must be divested by stringent application of doctrine, and in rare cases, cast out. Scientology teaches that an evil lord Xenu transported extraterrestrials from their home planet in aircraft that resemble DC-8 and placed them around volcanoes on earth, and then detonated hydrogen bombs causing the intangible part called Thetans to flee the alien bodies, which then in turn inhabited human bodies. The Way teaches that there is an evil lord Satan, the devil, whose fallen angels roam the earth seeking bodies to inhabit. The Way amped it up further with the doctrine of the seed of the serpent, that a person could be born again of the devil. Other parallels include both organizations' bi-lateral castigation of homosexuals; both organizations owning multiple locations of real estate, some of which serve as recreational areas for adherents; (okay yes, all churches do that as well.) Both organizations place a very high emphasis on adherents actively recruiting new followers. Both organizations are opposed to the medical practice of Psychiatry and the counseling practice of Psychology."

Edited by Kathy Niclaus
Missing quotation marks.
  • Upvote 1

Have you seen the Leah Rimini/Scientology thread in this forum?  Pointing out the similarities between TWI and Scientology as total-control cults?  (There are other threads, too.)

I get you are talking about the individuals VPW and LRH, but the cult and the man are pretty much inseparable, since the man controls the cult and uses it to his own advantage.

I saw that someone started a forum topic but received no replies (that I could see, I am new to navigating this site) so I thought I would throw the topic out.  Yes I have seen two seasons of the series; that happened after my initial viewing of the HBO documentary in 2015.

The bulk of my post is not about the similarities of the men but the similarities of the organizations they started. Particularly the practices, sub groups, and general mode of recruiting and retaining followers.

Edited by Kathy Niclaus
Needed clarification

Oh, and lest I forget my manners, Kathy - welcome.  Draw up a chair, have a coffee and have a good read and a natter.

Edited by Twinky

Here.have a look at this.  It's currently 4 pages long (we have a lot to say about that, here :rolleyes:)

Edited by Twinky
  • Like 1

Thanks Twinky. I have a Tuxedo cat myself.

I just skimmed the recommended thread. The focus seems to be on the Remini series; I don't know if many are aware of the HBO documentary Going
Clear: Scientology and the Prison of Belief.
It has content not included in the Remini series as well as topics covered in the series, albeit in a much more condensed form.

Edited by Kathy Niclaus
grammar
  • Upvote 1

The b&w one is called Tuxedo (for obvious reasons), and her all-black litter mate is Crypto (loves to hide, was three months before I even saw her).  Two very troubled girlies.  Here's their story.  It got to be quite a long thread.

http://www.greasespotcafe.com/ipb/topic/16471-cat-whispering/

Yes, we discussed Going Clear, too.  There's a search function at the top of each page, top right corner.  That might help you locate similar topics if you choose appropriate key words.  You can search the thread you're on; the wider forum, like About The Way, or Open; and all content.

Okay, now I have to sign off.  Am being harassed and yelled at by Crypto, who wants her treats (handfed on Dreamies, fragments of ham, or the like).  She still doesn't let me pick her up but at least she beats me up now.

And then to bed.  Night night.

24 minutes ago, Kathy Niclaus said:

I just skimmed the recommended thread. The focus seems to be on the Remini series; I don't know if many are aware of the HBO documentary Going
Clear: Scientology and the Prison of Belief.
It has content not included in the Remini series as well as topics covered in the series, albeit in a much more condensed form.

What is it with cult leaders and their quasi-military affiliations? Saint Vic had the Corps; LRH had the Sea Org.

A good book to read about both scientology and the Sea Org, is Beyond Belief by Jenna Miscavige Hill.

Edited by So_crates

Totally- I agree- what's up with that?

3 hours ago, Kathy Niclaus said:

I saw that someone started a forum topic but received no replies (that I could see, I am new to navigating this site) so I thought I would throw the topic out.  Yes I have seen two seasons of the series; that happened after my initial viewing of the HBO documentary in 2015.

The bulk of my post is not about the similarities of the men but the similarities of the organizations they started. Particularly the practices, sub groups, and general mode of recruiting and retaining followers.

Hi Kathy, hello and welcome to the GSC!!  It's good to have you here!  

14 hours ago, Kathy Niclaus said:

The similarity of this forum is to offer travelers a cup of Joe and a danish.  And afterwards to discuss the delusional power climbs of narcissists.  

Welcome!!!!!!!!!

FlosDanish_14u_sq1k.jpg

Sadly, so many "Christian" organizations are nothing more than money making enterprises. VPW put his product together in the 1950's then capitalized on the Jesus Freak movement of the late 1960's. A lot of cults started during the 1960's. David Berg's Children of God is another one that comes to mind.

• Upvote 1

Kathy welcome to GSC aka TWI addicts annoynmyous. My topic about Leah Remini was based on the A&E channel series which just finished it's 2nd season.