GreaseSpot Cafe

Unraveling the Cult Indoctrination

skyrider

The topic of indoctrination........and, once detected, how does one go about to unravel it.......continues to be of great interest to me.

On this thread, I'd like to examine and explore this issue of "Unraveling the Cult Indoctrination" by re-visiting a post on the Revival and Restoration thread.  In this Facebook post, Melody Ann Carter delves into aspects of her 40-year history of twi-involvement........and now, is grappling with justifying those four-decades of commitment.  And, since she took to social media........it's "out there" for all to see.

First, I must say.........I have empathy for her and Kevin's situation.  But, but........

But 40-years???........

1. ....when corps/clergy were exiting 1978-1985 as wierwille opined in his corps letters
  2. ....when a huge swath of corps left in 1987/1988 and splinters arose
  3. ....when the full-time corps experiment ended in a resounding thud
  4. ....when martindale was ousted in 2000 and abuses were silenced
  5. ....when rosalie kept micromanaging you guys another 16 years!   

On ‎9‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 2:40 PM, friscoguy said:

Melody Ann Carter's FaceBook post August 25, 2017

Why I left The Way International Structure (TWIS)
(I didn’t leave the Body of Christ!)
History with TWIS:
In 1976, when I was 17 years old, I became involved with TWIS. I took a foundational class on the Bible that was full of knowledge and zeal and answered so many questions that I had in my heart. I knew I had found what I had been searching for. I continued to attend home fellowships and with my natural leadership ability, I started my own home fellowship 6 months later in Hialeah FL. Back then, the home fellowships were “Self-governing, Self-supporting, and Self-propagating.” It was patterned after the Book of Acts and I really loved and appreciated that this was a non-denominational ministry, not another religion, but a place where I could learn more about God, His Word, and help others to do the same.
I entered a leadership training program called The Way Corps, met my husband there, and upon graduating, we married and went to our first “assignment”. For the next 33 years, we were given assignments all around the states. Some we asked for, most were recommended to us. We had one fellowship to coordinate in many instances (GA, WA, NJ ) and we also coordinated an entire state (ID). Other places, started out with one fellowship and grew into 3. Each move was costly and we paid for each move ourselves except when we were on staff as state coordinators – then TWIS gave us $ for the move – but it didn’t cover everything. God still supplied as He always does.

But after seeing the TWIS go through many leaders and becoming more religious with manmade policies, and mandates, and feeling the spirit of God being squelched on many levels, I wrote letters to the Board of Directors year after year of things I felt were not right, not according to God’s Word. More policies came out and when it was convenient, policies changed according to the desires of the top leadership and I no longer saw the top leadership as examples I wanted to follow, but as corrupt leaders with an agenda of their own. When the Way Corps were asked to go full time – they were told they could not have any pets – because they didn’t think it was right to use the tithe money to pay for our pets, yet it was found out that the President had a pet. When the leadership were told they could not smoke, there were some at the top that still smoked. Then more policies like the DEBT policy – which we were told was not a “policy” came out – and no one with any type of debt, including owning a home with a mortgage, any medical debts, etc… could be a part of any leadership role. Nor could they take an advanced class on biblical research that would teach them more about the manifestations of holy spirit in the categories of : gifts of healing, faith, miracles, word of knowledge, word of wisdom, and discerning of spirits.
WHO DOES THAT MAKE SENSE TO??? Why are they all up in everyone’s financial business anyway??? Many, and I mean MANY of us wrote letters and talked personally to the Board of Directors to show them that this is unbiblical to withhold teachings from people who had debt, and also to deprive them of serving when they had the desire to do so. Many people left the ministry because they began to see the overarching leadership and unbiblical behavior, and rightfully so. 
I was indoctrinated with this and taught it to others at one point but it never felt right. I apologize to those I may have hurt in pushing this unbiblical “debt policy” trying to get you to drink the Koolaid. I finally saw the light and stood up for what was right.

CURRENT DAY 
So on August 12, 2016 – 12 couples (which included my husband and me) signed a letter that was sent to the Board of Directors of TWI (with a courtesy copy sent to all the Way Corps leadership) – rebuking the unbiblical behavior we had been confronting for years. Because of the internet and the availability to share files and letters, we saw how so many of us had written letters through the years confronting the top leadership to no avail. So this was a collective effort trying to revive and restore TWI and get it back to The Word of God. Some letters that had been previously sent by anonymous believers to the Board of Directors were destroyed – The president actually told the other leadership that had received these letters to destroy the letters or return them to her. These letters confronted many of the things we were confronting in our August 12th letter. 
I had observed that there were many Vice Presidents that seemed to come and go on a regular basis. I knew something was wrong. I also observed that the Board of Directors (BODs) were becoming a self appointed Board with no input from the clergy or The Way Corps on the field, and no term limits. Things were getting out of hand.
It was imperative that our letter go to all the leadership so that the top leadership could not just sweep this under the rug and drop those or fire those who wrote the letter as had been done many times in the past.
Instead of any humbleness to address the things we were confronting, a leaders meeting conference call was planned immediately and the letter was dismissed as divisive and devilish and then a belittling of the characters of the signers. It is so very expectant of “the subtle power of spiritual abuse” - (which is an enlightening book, by the way.)
For a year – we did our best to expose the unbiblical behavior at the Top levels of leadership so that we could bring about revival and restoration. Many saw that we were doing this The Words Way by all the confrontation, then the rebuking, then the exposure to the Church. Three of the couples that were long standing ministers were excommunicated from the ministry – another tactic of spiritual abuse. This instills fear into the believers and keeps them from contacting those who have been shunned. And many of the rest of us left our assignments because TWI would not give us the assignment we requested , they would not allow us to retire after 30+ years, or for other reasons. My husband and I for example – asked to move somewhere to run a fellowship. We were told that one fellowship would not be considered an assignment because it was only one fellowship. Therefore we would have to drop ourselves. Yet as I shared before, we had many assignments that started with one fellowship. But of course the policies change… We had asked for years to retire from The Way Corps when Kevin was 60 – but alas, a new policy came out after my letter to the BODs in 2007, stating that you could not even request to go Emeritus until you were 65. WOW!! Yet another policy!!! So when the top leadership last year decided that they were going to change the Emeritus status to Retired status – they wanted to get those that were retired to sign up for things like writing articles, or doing certain projects…etc…. many said – retired means retired. Stop micromanaging me!

Where I see the ministry has gone wrong and this brings us to why I left TWIS:
1. TWI became very corporate and religious. The Book of Acts, which is our pattern, our paradigm, does not support a Top Down leadership structure. But rather local home fellowships that are Self-governing (which, by the way, TWIS took out the part about Self-governing a while back.) TWI became micromanagers of each and every fellowship telling them what to teach, how long to teach, that they must listen to the Sunday teaching Service tapes coming from HQ and teach from them (which many have stopped listening to because they lack inspiration, zeal, and the meat of God’s Word – again because the teachers are told what to teach and how to teach it.) Sounds a lot like religion to me… The Book of Acts does not support a headquarters type of structure with 3 or more leading the entire ministry from the top. Jerusalem was not the HQ for the church in the Book of Acts. It was a local fellowship where things got started and it moved out from there. If you want more information on this, I can direct you to a few places.
2. Tithing – is not in the Grace Administration. There is no amount given in the Grace administration, only things like "Let him that stole steal no more: but rather let him labour, working with his hands the thing which is good, that he may have to give to him that needeth.”Ephesians 4:28 or "Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver." II Corinthians 9:7 / I was led to believe that the giving of the Corinthians was Paul coming to get their tithe to bring it to the HQ in Jerusalem. If you really read this account – it has nothing to do with bringing tithe money to a HQ location or to a central bank there, but rather the believers wanted to help the saints in Jerusalem because there was a famine. WOW! That takes on a whole new dimension. They wanted to give to those who were in need. Not to those who were on staff. Again, I apologize to all those I tried to persuade to buy into the tithe/abundant sharing doctrine taught by TWI. I understand it from a corporate point of view. You can’t have a corporation without funds. So you have to indoctrinate your people to constantly give so they have a constant inflow of funds. But that is corporate logic, not biblical logic. God blesses giving regardless and He has blessed us in so many ways. But even more so now that I have researched this topic more and see the heart of giving for the Grace Administration. Again, if you want more information on this, I can direct you to a few places.
3. No Research Department, man-made policies became the norm and the spirit of God was being squelched.  
a. When I realized there was no longer a Research department at TWI, I was shocked. This is a biblical research, teaching, and fellowship ministry. But when you realize that further research could upset the apple cart and show Top leadership that they are not operating according to God’s Word, well then, you must stifle any further research. 
b. Colossians 2 is enlightening regarding doctrines of men.  
c. Jesus Christ is the Head of the Body – not the Board of Directors. Being micromanaged by Top leadership has felt like a noose around my neck. Here is an example: my daughter and I were going to one of the root locations for a weekend fellowship and relaxing time. We were asked to sing. My daughter writes incredible music and we sang some of her songs at a Region meeting just 2 years before and it blessed a lot of people. Well, we received instruction that we were only allowed to sing from the Sing Along the Way songbooks. I said, “WHAAAAAT????” Are you kidding me? So we declined to sing at all. This is Top Down leadership squelching the spirit of God and thus denying the believers the joy of our abilities.
I will end here by saying that this is MY STORY – of why I left TWIS. This was not a decision I made lightly. For 40 years of my life, I ran a fellowship in my home, and for 33 years have taken assignments all over the united states. My husband and I still have fellowship in our home in Cheyenne Wyoming. No one tells us what to teach and how to teach and how long to teach. We allow God to direct us. We feel quite liberated and have seen God do many wonderful things for us. Our liberty in Christ with Christ as our head is refreshing and invigorating. I have many friends and some family still with TWI and I have not separated myself from them. They are part of the Body of Christ just like I am. I only separated myself from TWI Structure. Thanks for reading. God’s abundant blessings on you and yours.

Edited by skyrider

My comments in red.

On ‎9‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 2:40 PM, friscoguy said:

Melody Ann Carter's FaceBook post August 25, 2017

Why I left The Way International Structure (TWIS)
(I didn’t leave the Body of Christ!).........a first step in unraveling the indoctrination

History with TWIS:
In 1976, when I was 17 years old, I became involved with TWIS. I took a foundational class on the Bible that was full of knowledge and zeal and answered so many questions that I had in my heart. I knew I had found what I had been searching for. I continued to attend home fellowships and with my natural leadership ability, I started my own home fellowship 6 months later in Hialeah FL. Back then, the home fellowships were “Self-governing, Self-supporting, and Self-propagating.” It was patterned after the Book of Acts and I really loved and appreciated that this was a non-denominational ministry, not another religion, but a place where I could learn more about God, His Word, and help others to do the same.
I entered a leadership training program called The Way Corps, met my husband there, and upon graduating, we married and went to our first “assignment”. For the next 33 years, we were given assignments all around the states. Some we asked for, most were recommended to us. .........manipulation and exploitation are the hallmarks of cults.

We had one fellowship to coordinate in many instances (GA, WA, NJ ) and we also coordinated an entire state (ID). Other places, started out with one fellowship and grew into 3. Each move was costly and we paid for each move ourselves except when we were on staff as state coordinators – then TWIS gave us $ for the move – but it didn’t cover everything. God still supplied as He always does.

But after seeing the TWIS go through many leaders and becoming more religious with manmade policies, and mandates, and feeling the spirit of God being squelched on many levels, I wrote letters to the Board of Directors year after year of things I felt were not right, not according to God’s Word.......indoctrinated into subservience.  The underlying mission of the corps training program was to instill OBEDIENCE TO LEADERSHIP, above all.

Year after year, you "felt" it was not right.......the cult had successfully dismantled ALL of your avenues to challenge their mandates and policies.  Family, friends and loved ones were discarded on the ash heap of irrelevance, because they were "worldly" or even worse, "possessed."  Twi seduced you with vain repetitions of "you are God's best" ......"the faithful remnant" etc.

More policies came out and when it was convenient, policies changed according to the desires of the top leadership and I no longer saw the top leadership as examples I wanted to follow, but as corrupt leaders with an agenda of their own. ......BINGO......and when you connect all the dots, you'll see that WIERWILLE instigated the insidious agenda.

Until you unravel the indoctrination all the way BACK TO ITS SOURCE.......you will not understand the depth of it.  (i.e. Jason Bourne)

When the Way Corps were asked to go full time – they were told they could not have any pets – because they didn’t think it was right to use the tithe money to pay for our pets, yet it was found out that the President had a pet. When the leadership were told they could not smoke, there were some at the top that still smoked. Then more policies like the DEBT policy – which we were told was not a “policy” came out – and no one with any type of debt, including owning a home with a mortgage, any medical debts, etc… could be a part of any leadership role. Nor could they take an advanced class on biblical research that would teach them more about the manifestations of holy spirit in the categories of : gifts of healing, faith, miracles, word of knowledge, word of wisdom, and discerning of spirits.

......pet policies, pregnancy policies, debt policies......and those 15-minute weekly time schedules (include when you have sex with your spouse).  Remember???

OMG........frickkin' unbelievable

WHO DOES THAT MAKE SENSE TO???   NO.......RUN.......GET OUT, NOW.  Why are they all up in everyone’s financial business anyway??? Many, and I mean MANY of us wrote letters and talked personally to the Board of Directors to show them that this is unbiblical to withhold teachings from people who had debt, and also to deprive them of serving when they had the desire to do so. Many people left the ministry because they began to see the overarching leadership and unbiblical behavior, and rightfully so. 
I was indoctrinated ........YES YOU WERE with this and taught it to others at one point but it never felt right. I apologize to those I may have hurt in pushing this unbiblical “debt policy” trying to get you to drink the Koolaid. I finally saw the light and stood up for what was right.

CURRENT DAY 
So on August 12, 2016 – 12 couples (which included my husband and me) signed a letter that was sent to the Board of Directors of TWI (with a courtesy copy sent to all the Way Corps leadership) – rebuking the unbiblical behavior we had been confronting for years. Because of the internet and the availability to share files and letters, we saw how so many of us had written letters through the years confronting the top leadership to no avail. So this was a collective effort trying to revive and restore TWI and get it back to The Word of God. Some letters that had been previously sent by anonymous believers to the Board of Directors were destroyed – The president actually told the other leadership that had received these letters to destroy the letters or return them to her. These letters confronted many of the things we were confronting in our August 12th letter. 
I had observed that there were many Vice Presidents that seemed to come and go on a regular basis. I knew something was wrong. I also observed that the Board of Directors (BODs) were becoming a self appointed Board with no input from the clergy or The Way Corps on the field, and no term limits. Things were getting out of hand.
It was imperative that our letter go to all the leadership so that the top leadership could not just sweep this under the rug and drop those or fire those who wrote the letter as had been done many times in the past.
Instead of any humbleness to address the things we were confronting, a leaders meeting conference call was planned immediately and the letter was dismissed as divisive and devilish and then a belittling of the characters of the signers. It is so very expectant of “the subtle power of spiritual abuse” - (which is an enlightening book, by the way.)
For a year – we did our best to expose the unbiblical behavior at the Top levels of leadership so that we could bring about revival and restoration. Many saw that we were doing this The Words Way by all the confrontation, then the rebuking, then the exposure to the Church. Three of the couples that were long standing ministers were excommunicated from the ministry – another tactic of spiritual abuse. This instills fear into the believers and keeps them from contacting those who have been shunned. And many of the rest of us left our assignments because TWI would not give us the assignment we requested , they would not allow us to retire after 30+ years, or for other reasons. My husband and I for example – asked to move somewhere to run a fellowship. We were told that one fellowship would not be considered an assignment because it was only one fellowship. Therefore we would have to drop ourselves. Yet as I shared before, we had many assignments that started with one fellowship. But of course the policies change… We had asked for years to retire from The Way Corps when Kevin was 60 – but alas, a new policy came out after my letter to the BODs in 2007, stating that you could not even request to go Emeritus until you were 65. WOW!! Yet another policy!!! So when the top leadership last year decided that they were going to change the Emeritus status to Retired status – they wanted to get those that were retired to sign up for things like writing articles, or doing certain projects…etc…. many said – retired means retired. Stop micromanaging me!

Where I see the ministry has gone wrong and this brings us to why I left TWIS:
1. TWI became very corporate and religious. The Book of Acts, which is our pattern, our paradigm, does not support a Top Down leadership structure. But rather local home fellowships that are Self-governing (which, by the way, TWIS took out the part about Self-governing a while back.) TWI became micromanagers of each and every fellowship telling them what to teach, how long to teach, that they must listen to the Sunday teaching Service tapes coming from HQ and teach from them (which many have stopped listening to because they lack inspiration, zeal, and the meat of God’s Word – again because the teachers are told what to teach and how to teach it.) Sounds a lot like religion to me… The Book of Acts does not support a headquarters type of structure with 3 or more leading the entire ministry from the top. Jerusalem was not the HQ for the church in the Book of Acts. It was a local fellowship where things got started and it moved out from there. If you want more information on this, I can direct you to a few places.
2. Tithing – is not in the Grace Administration. There is no amount given in the Grace administration, only things like "Let him that stole steal no more: but rather let him labour, working with his hands the thing which is good, that he may have to give to him that needeth.”Ephesians 4:28 or "Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver." II Corinthians 9:7 / I was led to believe that the giving of the Corinthians was Paul coming to get their tithe to bring it to the HQ in Jerusalem. If you really read this account – it has nothing to do with bringing tithe money to a HQ location or to a central bank there, but rather the believers wanted to help the saints in Jerusalem because there was a famine. WOW! That takes on a whole new dimension. They wanted to give to those who were in need. Not to those who were on staff. Again, I apologize to all those I tried to persuade to buy into the tithe/abundant sharing doctrine taught by TWI. I understand it from a corporate point of view. You can’t have a corporation without funds. So you have to indoctrinate your people to constantly give so they have a constant inflow of funds. But that is corporate logic, not biblical logic. God blesses giving regardless and He has blessed us in so many ways. But even more so now that I have researched this topic more and see the heart of giving for the Grace Administration. Again, if you want more information on this, I can direct you to a few places.
3. No Research Department, man-made policies became the norm and the spirit of God was being squelched.  
a. When I realized there was no longer a Research department at TWI, I was shocked. This is a biblical research, teaching, and fellowship ministry. But when you realize that further research could upset the apple cart and show Top leadership that they are not operating according to God’s Word, well then, you must stifle any further research. 
b. Colossians 2 is enlightening regarding doctrines of men.  
c. Jesus Christ is the Head of the Body – not the Board of Directors. Being micromanaged by Top leadership has felt like a noose around my neck. Here is an example: my daughter and I were going to one of the root locations for a weekend fellowship and relaxing time. We were asked to sing. My daughter writes incredible music and we sang some of her songs at a Region meeting just 2 years before and it blessed a lot of people. Well, we received instruction that we were only allowed to sing from the Sing Along the Way songbooks. I said, “WHAAAAAT????” Are you kidding me? So we declined to sing at all. This is Top Down leadership squelching the spirit of God and thus denying the believers the joy of our abilities.
I will end here by saying that this is MY STORY – of why I left TWIS. This was not a decision I made lightly. For 40 years of my life, I ran a fellowship in my home, and for 33 years have taken assignments all over the united states. My husband and I still have fellowship in our home in Cheyenne Wyoming. No one tells us what to teach and how to teach and how long to teach. We allow God to direct us. We feel quite liberated and have seen God do many wonderful things for us. Our liberty in Christ with Christ as our head is refreshing and invigorating. I have many friends and some family still with TWI and I have not separated myself from them. They are part of the Body of Christ just like I am. I only separated myself from TWI Structure. Thanks for reading. God’s abundant blessings on you and yours.

More to come.......

Unraveling the cult indoctrination.............

• Upvote 1

GreaseSpot Café continues to be a goldmine for those searching for answers.

Clearly, those who've recently exited twi will spend years unraveling the cult indoctrination.....

Lots and lots of threads will help them..........and just to name a few:

Thank you Paul Allen..........for starting Waydale in April 1999. 

• Like 1

We had asked for years to retire from The Way Corps when Kevin was 60 – but alas, a new policy came out after my letter to the BODs in 2007, stating that you could not even request to go Emeritus until you were 65. WOW!! Yet another policy!!! So when the top leadership last year decided that they were going to change the Emeritus status to Retired status – they wanted to get those that were retired to sign up for things like writing articles, or doing certain projects…etc…. many said – retired means retired. Stop micromanaging me!

Ding, Ding, Ding.............a central point of great contention surfaced!

They changed the Emeritus status (a term that confers automatically upon all persons who retire at a given rank, a mark of distinguished service)......... to Retired Status  and THEN, wanted them to sign up for more work. The Board of Manipulators wanted to squeeze MORE WORK out of them.

Obviously, these corps who were age 60-70..........on the verge of retiring, or wanting to retire with a "distinguished service public record" and THEN FOUND OUT that the cult pulled the rug out from under them.  Rosalie wanted to keep exploiting them to write more articles, do more projects, etc. etc.

BOOM...............the cult reality when the curtain is pulled back.

Emeritus status is only bestowed upon the favored few.   :spy:

Edited by skyrider
typo
  • Upvote 1

40 years or more of "service"..............donchaknow

........and wondering if they'd be stigmatized with DFAC (dropped from active corps)

........or wondering if they'd be notched back to "Corps Alumni Status"

........or just another butt in a seat attending a home fellowship

STATUS IS EVERYTHING.......to lord over others!!    :anim-smile:

6 hours ago, skyrider said:

40 years or more of "service"..............donchaknow

........and wondering if they'd be stigmatized with DFAC (dropped from active corps)

........or wondering if they'd be notched back to "Corps Alumni Status"

........or just another butt in a seat attending a home fellowship

STATUS IS EVERYTHING.......to lord over others!!    :anim-smile:

40 years or more of "service"…my mind goes “yikes that’s a lot to unravel!”…depending on length and level of involvement one’s life could become that much more intertwined with a cult…

there’s that much more to unravel…it’s hard to remain totally objective because there’s so many ways one is connected to a cult…socially…emotionally…something that provided “status”…in my humble opinion it takes a lot of humility and honesty to truly investigate and unravel the “mysteries” of a cult’s impact on my life…because one of the suspects in this mystery is ….

me

...and it’s often uncomfortable and disheartening to acknowledge the times I suspended critical thinking because of some silly things – like believing wierwille actually heard from God…or being guilt-driven, thinking a doubt or question meant I was really questioning God and not the ministry or wierwille.

I like your Jason Bourne reference in the other post “Until you unravel the indoctrination all the way BACK TO ITS SOURCE.......you will not understand the depth of it.  (i.e. Jason Bourne)”…and that got me thinking of the early part of the first Bourne film – suffering from amnesia, how Jason would wonder about how he acquired certain skills and knowledge…

corps, if you really want to unravel cult indoctrination you might want to consider the fact that the fine art of self-delusion, hypocrisy,  and selling bull$hit to others were taught by the master, himself…wierwille…oh maybe you didn't realize all that while you were jotting down every word he said as if it was revelation...or trying to mimic his style of being so confident...or admiring the way he bragged about being so spiritual and in touch with God that he could do whatever and it would not be sin...

funny isn't it? wierwille made such a big deal in PFAL about the Bible means what it says and says what it means...then by the time you go through the way corps program you actually find out how pliable the Bible was in wierwille's thought process...the Bible means whatever wierwille says it means.

and  you just thought he was teaching you how to acquire an in-depth spiritual perception and awareness…you might want to consider Matthew 15 where Jesus spoke of the Pharisees as blind leaders of the blind - they both fall into a pit...so if you're wondering how you got all tangled up in a big convoluted mess - just remember who led the way - wierwille.

…the way corps was like Bourne’s Treadstone – only it was a black ops program turned on its own participants – a covert operation that even the participants were not aware of - to sabotage critical thinking…to subvert one’s interests, allegiances,  and faith…to make us subservient to upper leadership.

Edited by T-Bone
clarity

6 hours ago, T-Bone said:

corps, if you really want to unravel cult indoctrination you might want to consider the fact that the fine art of self-delusion, hypocrisy,  and selling bull$hit to others were taught by the master, himself…wierwille ... the way he bragged about being so spiritual and in touch with God that he could do whatever and it would not be sin...

funny isn't it? wierwille made such a big deal in PFAL about the Bible means what it says and says what it means...then by the time you go through the way corps program you actually find out how pliable the Bible was in wierwille's thought process...the Bible means whatever wierwille says it means.

... a covert operation that even the participants were not aware of - to sabotage critical thinking…to subvert one’s interests, allegiances,  and faith…to make us subservient to upper leadership.

Good post, T-Bone.  Thought the above bits bear repetition.

To be slightly more balanced regarding thinking processes, it's perfectly true that our thought processes were subverted and badly, or very badly, damaged.

However, we all have worldly thought processes that need to be unravelled too - our selfishness, unkindness, pride and arrogance - these are "bound up" in our flesh, and it's what we brought with us when we "got into" really wanting to know Godly things - we need to reckon the old man dead and put on the new spiritual man clothed with the mind of Christ. Unfortunately we were taught to put on the mind of Wierwille, so we have to get rid of that as well

Perhaps this is a little of what Mt 23:15 is getting at: "Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You travel over land and sea to win a single convert, and when you have succeeded, you make them twice as much a child of hell as you are."  We have become "twice as much a child of hell" as our "father in the word" (VPW, gag) because we have both worldly and Wierwille thought processes to unravel. 

Years ago, you, T-Bone, said that the WC program was like Miracle-Gro for all our faults. 

It's time for the Round-Up now - or even SBK - to kill those faulty and putrid thoughts right down to the root.

Unraveling the cult indoctrination..........is an arduous undertaking. 

Lots of overlapping ethics and principles.......but it takes honesty, humility, receptiveness, reflection, etc. 

Everything that you've been taught or experienced in the cult is suspect.......no stone should be left unturned.

In the letter posted above, Melody Ann starts the unraveling process.  She may or may not know it yet, but she ALREADY is working her way back to wierwille's cult structure, false teachings, and deceptive agenda:

• .......manmade policies and mandates  /  squelching the spirit of God within
  • .......The Book of Acts does not support a headquarters type of structure with 3 or more leading the entire ministry from the top
  • .......already, she has read the book, "The Subtle Power of Spiritual Abuse"
  • .......yet, still wants recognition and approval from board members to claim *emeritus status*.........[More to unravel ---- one foot in, one foot out]
  • .......twi became micromanagers dictating what to teach and what not to teach......[Umm, this has been going on for decades!]
  • .......tithing – is not in the Grace Administration.........[and just wait till you start questioning wierwille's "dispensationalism" doctrine]
  • .......no research department.......realizing that the cult leaders' positions and teachings are firmly cemented.  No change is forthcoming....

The corps program was indoctrinated *followship*............NOT leadership.

And, splinter groups are NOT the answer either.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On ‎1‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 1:31 PM, skyrider said:

They changed the Emeritus status (a term that confers automatically upon all persons who retire at a given rank, a mark of distinguished service)......... to Retired Status  and THEN, wanted them to sign up for more work. The Board of Manipulators wanted to squeeze MORE WORK out of them.

Obviously, these corps who were age 60-70..........on the verge of retiring, or wanting to retire with a "distinguished service public record" and THEN FOUND OUT that the cult pulled the rug out from under them.  Rosalie wanted to keep exploiting them to write more articles, do more projects, etc. etc.

BOOM...............the cult reality when the curtain is pulled back.

Emeritus status is only bestowed upon the favored few.   :spy:

Long-standing corps wanted to receive this Emeritus status.......to pin to their chests; a mark of distinguished service.

Instead............Rosalie and her pimps took out their mark/avoid lapel pins and pinned THOSE to corps' chests.

Lapel pin: 

• Middle Finger Lapel Pin
  • Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 9:31 AM, skyrider said:

Unraveling the cult indoctrination..........is an arduous undertaking. 

Lots of overlapping ethics and principles.......but it takes honesty, humility, receptiveness, reflection, etc. 

Everything that you've been taught or experienced in the cult is suspect.......no stone should be left unturned.

In the letter posted above, Melody Ann starts the unraveling process.  She may or may not know it yet, but she ALREADY is working her way back to wierwille's cult structure, false teachings, and deceptive agenda:

• .......manmade policies and mandates  /  squelching the spirit of God within
  • .......The Book of Acts does not support a headquarters type of structure with 3 or more leading the entire ministry from the top
  • .......already, she has read the book, "The Subtle Power of Spiritual Abuse"
  • .......yet, still wants recognition and approval from board members to claim *emeritus status*.........[More to unravel ---- one foot in, one foot out]
  • .......twi became micromanagers dictating what to teach and what not to teach......[Umm, this has been going on for decades!]
  • .......tithing – is not in the Grace Administration.........[and just wait till you start questioning wierwille's "dispensationalism" doctrine]
  • .......no research department.......realizing that the cult leaders' positions and teachings are firmly cemented.  No change is forthcoming....

The corps program was indoctrinated *followship*............NOT leadership.

And, splinter groups are NOT the answer either.

I knew this woman, but not well. Like most of us, she was idealistic, kind, and good intentioned. So why did she stay so long? IMO, time spent in the cult is relative to a person's needs. What strikes me is how a person misses or denies or misinterprets warning signs. I suppose part of it has to do with survival. Like her, I did that for years, too, especially the misinterpreting or rationalizing of warning signs. Psychologists tell us it's because there's a need in a person to cling to the status quo ... a variety of reasons are clear, i.e. fear of loss of community, loss of certainty, loss of feeling secure about "knowing the truth." I think we all can relate. It's a need so great that admitting what we're doing or believing or giving our loyalty to is bad, or a fraud, or a con, is just too much. We'd crack. Don't we all remember when we "woke up" and how hard that was to admit we had been duped or abused or stolen from?

For some of us we nearly did crack up. Some I know have spent time in mental health hospitals, or are in serious therapy, or on heavy medication, or have lost themselves to alcohol or drugs. Or suicide.

Breaking up is hard to do. Some people had a casual involvement in TWI. Others were encased in it like in an airtight plastic bag. Breaking free is HARD. I think it's a miracle any of us are here and able to compose a complete sentence. Maybe I should speak for myself, but truly, for those of us who were sold out for so long and gave so much, creating another life post-TWI has been VERY hard work and if it weren't for many good people (many are here on GSC), healing love, education, and time, I can't imagine what would have become of me...

So If you ever read this, Melanie,  STAY STRONG and breathe deep. It's possible to heal a little every day with love, education, and time.

And I ditto what Skyrider said, that Offshoot groups formed by former WAY leaders are not a good option because in general they repeat the patterns from TWI. Besides, bottom line is that the Bible is always open to interpretation by man. The notion of "the accuracy of The Word" is just that, just a notion. No one has it. It can't be had. But that doesn't mean you cannot find valuable things in the Bible. Just question what people tell you it "means."

Cheers,

Penworks  a.k.a. Charlene Lamy (Bishop) Edge

I can be reached at http://charleneedge.com/Contact

Edited by penworks
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 4

31 minutes ago, penworks said:

Breaking up is hard to do. Some people had a casual involvement in TWI. Others were encased in it like in an airtight plastic bag. Breaking free is HARD. I think it's a miracle any of us are here and able to compose a complete sentence. Maybe I should speak for myself, but truly, for those of us who were sold out for so long and gave so much, creating another life post-TWI has been VERY hard work and if it weren't for many good people (many are here on GSC), healing love, education, and time, I can't imagine what would have become of me...

Too right, Penworks!  :eusa_clap:

GreaseSpot Café is a place that should never close.  People are still ESCAPING the twit-cult and its splinter groups.  So many of the next generation were raised in this cult........this closed-society, "North Korean Cheerleading Squad"..... that they've never seen life outside its boundaries.  They are victims.......and desperately need help.

Melody Ann's letter is a vivid example of the struggle to break free from cult indoctrination......

• Year after year........cult indoctrination is bondage.
  • Seeing things that were not right......yet, still obeyed.
  • More policies came out.......to keep the manipulation going.
  • Policies changed..........so far off-track you can't find the highway.
  • Top leaders were corrupt with own agenda.......light bulb clicks on.
  • Double standards at hq........hypocrisy is thy name.
  • Follow debt-doctrine or be purged from leadership role......control.
  • Who does that make sense to?.........QUESTION EVERYTHING.
  • I was indoctrinated with this.........yes, you were.
  • I apologize to those I may have hurt........stepping forward.
  • I finally saw the light........come to GSC and REALLY see the light of this insidious indoctrination.

But after seeing the TWIS go through many leaders and becoming more religious with manmade policies, and mandates, and feeling the spirit of God being squelched on many levels, I wrote letters to the Board of Directors year after year of things I felt were not right, not according to God’s Word. More policies came out and when it was convenient, policies changed according to the desires of the top leadership and I no longer saw the top leadership as examples I wanted to follow, but as corrupt leaders with an agenda of their own. When the Way Corps were asked to go full time – they were told they could not have any pets – because they didn’t think it was right to use the tithe money to pay for our pets, yet it was found out that the President had a pet. When the leadership were told they could not smoke, there were some at the top that still smoked. Then more policies like the DEBT policy – which we were told was not a “policy” came out – and no one with any type of debt, including owning a home with a mortgage, any medical debts, etc… could be a part of any leadership role. Nor could they take an advanced class on biblical research that would teach them more about the manifestations of holy spirit in the categories of : gifts of healing, faith, miracles, word of knowledge, word of wisdom, and discerning of spirits.
WHO DOES THAT MAKE SENSE TO??? Why are they all up in everyone’s financial business anyway??? Many, and I mean MANY of us wrote letters and talked personally to the Board of Directors to show them that this is unbiblical to withhold teachings from people who had debt, and also to deprive them of serving when they had the desire to do so. Many people left the ministry because they began to see the overarching leadership and unbiblical behavior, and rightfully so. 
I was indoctrinated with this and taught it to others at one point but it never felt right. I apologize to those I may have hurt in pushing this unbiblical “debt policy” trying to get you to drink the Koolaid. I finally saw the light and stood up for what was right.

• Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 6:04 PM, penworks said:

(SNIP)...

...(SNIP)

Great post, Penworks !

Your line “I think it's a miracle any of us are here and able to compose a complete sentence.” Made me think of the time I went to a professional counselor…this was years after leaving TWI…I kinda laugh about it now – in our first session I was spewing out in a stream-of-consciousness style  :biglaugh: all the pent up emotions, frustrations, mental baggage, toxic attitudes and memories, regrets, etc. accumulated from my youth before, during and after my time of TWI involvement - - right up to the present…when I finally stopped, I figured he wouldn’t know where to begin to sort out my incoherent mess but to my surprise the first words out of the counselor’s mouth were “you’ve got to stop beating yourself up over all that stuff.” Of course, he had a lot more very helpful methods to offer in the following sessions - - but I think those first words of his gave me an underlying theme for any therapy you have to have a healthy attitude as you work things out…and don’t beat yourself up over anything while you're working things out.

And I think therapy to relieve or heal something is always a lot more work than routine maintenance of health…walking every day is easy as part of a routine to maintain health…therapy to flex and strengthen the body after you’ve broken a leg is a lot of hard work.

Edited by T-Bone

Sometimes I try to unravel things.  Other times it just seems like this huge tangled ball of yarn that it is better to snip out with scissors and tie two ends together.

Some days I feel I can solve all sorts of puzzles.  Other days not so much.

I do know what is most helpful to me is to focus on growing where I want to be, and by nature that surely is away from where I was growing towards.   I have no desire to be an apprentice Pharisee or a head Pharisee or any level in between.  All that seems to be is circulating between elevators to different floors of Dante's 9 layers of hell. 

• 2 months later...
On 2/8/2018 at 6:37 PM, Twinky said:

Too right, Penworks!  :eusa_clap:

On 2/8/2018 at 6:04 PM, penworks said:

Yea, too right. It is basic to trauma recovery that you don't compare someone's ordeal to someone else's. Even length of time in is included. Breaking free IS hard, especially when the attempt to break free only gets going 3 to 4 decades after your body has left. Some have no APPARENT problem adjusting; some have lots of them. This is not only true of cult life, but of any trauma, including sexual assault (I've had both). Maybe you should speak for yourself? Hell, just keep doing what you're doing because some are still finding their voice.

• Upvote 1

On 2/8/2018 at 7:04 PM, penworks said:

I knew this woman, but not well. Like most of us, she was idealistic, kind, and good intentioned. So why did she stay so long? IMO, time spent in the cult is relative to a person's needs. What strikes me is how a person misses or denies or misinterprets warning signs. I suppose part of it has to do with survival. Like her, I did that for years, too, especially the misinterpreting or rationalizing of warning signs. Psychologists tell us it's because there's a need in a person to cling to the status quo ... a variety of reasons are clear, i.e. fear of loss of community, loss of certainty, loss of feeling secure about "knowing the truth." I think we all can relate. It's a need so great that admitting what we're doing or believing or giving our loyalty to is bad, or a fraud, or a con, is just too much. We'd crack. Don't we all remember when we "woke up" and how hard that was to admit we had been duped or abused or stolen from?

For some of us we nearly did crack up. Some I know have spent time in mental health hospitals, or are in serious therapy, or on heavy medication, or have lost themselves to alcohol or drugs. Or suicide.

So If you ever read this, Melanie,  STAY STRONG and breathe deep. It's possible to heal a little every day with love, education, and time.

And I ditto what Skyrider said, that Offshoot groups formed by former WAY leaders are not a good option because in general they repeat the patterns from TWI. Besides, bottom line is that the Bible is always open to interpretation by man. The notion of "the accuracy of The Word" is just that, just a notion. No one has it. It can't be had. But that doesn't mean you cannot find valuable things in the Bible. Just question what people tell you it "means."

Cheers,

Penworks  a.k.a. Charlene Lamy (Bishop) Edge

I can be reached at http://charleneedge.com/Contact

Penworks, great post!  I think I probably had a "causal involvement with TWI."  When I left TWI, I felt nothing.  But, I understand why some people had serious problems leaving.  I feel for those people who ended up with drug, and alcohol problems.  I think when I was in, 1978-1988, TWI fulfilled a need for me to belong.  I think if I had had a happy childhood, I would not have been an easy recruit for a cult like TWI. Perhaps others feel the same.  I know many of the people I knew in TWI, had difficult childhoods. 

Breaking up is hard to do. Didn't Neil Sedaka write a song about that? lol

1 hour ago, Grace Valerie Claire said:

Penworks, great post!  I think I probably had a "causal involvement with TWI."  When I left TWI, I felt nothing.  But, I understand why some people had serious problems leaving.  I feel for those people who ended up with drug, and alcohol problems.  I think when I was in, 1978-1988, TWI fulfilled a need for me to belong.  I think if I had had a happy childhood, I would not have been an easy recruit for a cult like TWI. Perhaps others feel the same.  I know many of the people I knew in TWI, had difficult childhoods. 

When your body leaves, and your mind is still in, you may not feel traumatized at the time, but it may come back and hot you decades later. It can be a mixed bag, with great feelings of relief at thinking for yourself being accompanied or followed by feelings not as good. I think my awakening got going slowly more than a decade ago, then was given a huge push by a fellow 8th corps account of her abuse and sexual assault...you can guess who I mean.  Then I came across others, including my best survivor friend...completely non-Way and non-cult...whose support helped me remember my sexual assault and break my silence about it last fall. Others have helped, not even with the aim of doing something for just me...e.g. not the least of whom is this Penworks person! (You might say she takes the Edge off our trauma!) Not to mention...okay, I am LOL...a lifelong friend of the survivor friend above, just by being an example with her great unconditional sensitivity to people, as opposed to what at times seemed like genuine caring in the Way, but which also seemed to hinge on one's loyalty to the group and doctrines.

So as not to ignore the rest of your post, my childhood was pretty good. Parents split up when I was a wee one (believe it or not, i WAS little once) but Mom was great, and we spent plenty of time with Dad while he was alive. I just got involved by a co-worker invite, and like many, was captured by the conditional care....the love bombing if you will...and there I was. Much better to have people care for you unconditionally...including one I should mention given all I have bared here, my counselor.

• Upvote 1