GreaseSpot Cafe

I'm upset - heard about Doping in Olympic Curling

T-Bone

T-Bone, I watched a very exciting women's semi-final today.   It is a game that requires a lot of skill, and there's a lot of strategy.

Now as for the idiot Russians who were caught doping... after being allowed in under a special arrangement...

I feel a bit sorry for the wife of the Russian curler who got banned - but at least she gets to keep her medal, as I understand it.  Only he has lost his.

Have you watched those snowboarders?  Man... talk about no fear!  Scary!!

21 hours ago, Twinky said:

T-Bone, I watched a very exciting women's semi-final today.   It is a game that requires a lot of skill, and there's a lot of strategy.

Now as for the idiot Russians who were caught doping... after being allowed in under a special arrangement...

I feel a bit sorry for the wife of the Russian curler who got banned - but at least she gets to keep her medal, as I understand it.  Only he has lost his.

Have you watched those snowboarders?  Man... talk about no fear!  Scary!!

oh yeah - Tonto and I were in awe of snowboarders and skiers - it's crazy when they're airborne and do all kinds of gyroscopic spins all over the place !

I had always thought of Curling as very boring 'sport', akin to shuffleboard

But yesterday I watched the last hour of the finals as the U.S. was inching towards winning the gold, although I care nothing for the political affiliations of athletes

I was mesmerized by the tension, the focus, the concentration, the slow-motion movements of the guy carefully sliding the curling stone towards its goal, the frenetic, and the exasperating movements of the guys with the brooms frantically guiding the ever-so-slow moving stone to its final destination

Watching the dedication of the athletes caused me to quickly gain a respect for it as a 'sport', it is very slow, but very physical...funny, basketball, baseball, and football bore me

Curling is not like the grueling physicality of the Slalom, but I gained a respect for curling today, the game felt like a life and death struggle

Very different from the fast-paced coordination of a couple doing ice dancing, very graceful, beautiful, awesome coordination of steps and movements

Edited by GoldStar

I haven't done curling, but I have done lawn bowls (rink bowls), which is a little similar.  The bowler has to be very aware of the line, the weight of the throw, positioning,  how to block opponents and how to "blast" them.   A lawn bowling ball is not perfectly spherical, but slightly flattened on one side, which can affect the way it rolls at the end.  I would think a similar thing applies with a curling stone, as to how much curl is put on it.  Geometry, if you like, comes into it, too - if you hit one bowl or stone, where will it go, what else will it hit, and so on - a bit like snooker, which also appears to be a bit of a boring sport.  I saw the UK/Japan women's curling semi final yesterday.  I thought it very exciting.  Both teams, all players, were so skilled and totally engrossed, concentrated.

We need to be ready to appreciate the skills of all the competitors, no matter which team they're on.  One's own favored team wouldn't show so well against a bunch of doofuses (unless it's the Korean hockey team - I do feel sorry for the S Koreans, who had real potential).  To be a great team requires a great opponent.  Iron sharpening iron, and all that.

Twinky,

I haven't done curling or lawn bowliing (I don't even like bowling), but I might enjoy lawn bowling for fun

I was very surprised at how engrossed I became in the Curling finals, it was so absorbing like a life and death duel to the end

The Slalom is the most grueling sport I have seen so far on the Olympics this season

The craziest thing I saw was the speed skater (I think he was south Korean) who fell down and then actually grabbed another skater's skate apparently in an attempt to trip him up, unbelievable!

The Simpsons cartoon TV show predicted in an episode 8 years ago (2010) that the USA would win the Olympic gold in Curling, with Sweden coming in second place, just exactly as it happened just a few days ago in reality for the first time in world history...

There are some wild theories that try to explain this prediction and many other things that have come true which were predicted on the same cartoon TV show years in advance including Trump running for President.

The wild theories include that the producers of the cartoon show are part of a larger worldwide group that has control of systems allowing them to be able to cause things they predict years ahead of time to happen years later.

One of the best examples of this is the following video that shows actual clips of the first Back To The Future movie released in 1985 which clearly shows that someone had foreknowledge of the events of 9/11 more than 15 years before it happened:

The probabilities that the large number of precise similarities between the clearly "hidden-in-plain-sight" symbolic predictions in the movie and the fact that they actually happened in reality over 15 years later by 'coincidence' are beyond astronomically improbable.

Other theories include that secret access to time travel technologies enable some to travel or see into the future are even wilder.

The most likely true explanation is 'foreknowledge' by planning by high-level organizations.