GreaseSpot Cafe

When the mask came off

skyrider

For those who had only a brush of involvement with twi, it is understandable that they didn't see behind the mask.

On the field, away from twi's headquarters........there were many, MANY good twig coordinators in the mid-to-late 70s.  During this time, it was common for faithful followers to hobnob from one twig to another across town.  It may be really difficult, now, to realize that the way ministry exuded strong Christian tenets of love, giving and support at the local level.  At each twig fellowship.......two or three songs were sung at those fellowships each night that came from Christian denominations:

1. What a friend we have in Jesus
  2. Tis so sweet to trust in Jesus
  3. My Jesus, I love thee
  4. In the garden
  5. My Jesus of Blue Galilee
  6. I love to tell the story
  7. Great is Thy Faithfulness
  8. etc.

For those who ask, "How could you join a cult?"..........it wasn't like that in the early 70s on the field.  There was no monitoring, no mandating which fellowship to attend.  If someone across town was teaching hot bible......that's where the action was.  At times, some one would not show up for a month.....but was welcomed with loving arms when he/she returned.

Nobody joins a cult willingly (wittingly). 

In every thing that I've learned or experienced, I would say that wierwille pulled his mask off more openly around 1977.....definitely, by 1978.  The confrontations became more widespread and intense.  A mandate swept thru to replace The Blue Song Book with the brown song book [.....was this because twi was pressured on using copyrighted songs without permission?....].  Some of the high-profile leaders were starting to stand up and challenge wierwille's authoritarian style and doctrine......while others exited, like Peter Wa-de in 1975. 

In December 1977.......wierwille begins writing his corps letters and laments that corps are exiting.   Letters to the way corps

Thirty letters........evidence that wierwille was using another tool to shame and guilt the corps.  The problem persisted AND ESCALATED........because wierwille did not change course.  Corps kept exiting, because they were being manipulated and exploited.  Wierwille knew the tactics of incremental steps.

Sure........it took YEARS before it became manifestly clear to the general public.  And, then......most notably, Christopher C. Geer took to the podium in 1986 to label craig, don, and howard as "the problem" for everyone being off the word.   Good Golly.....Miss Molly!  What a load of steaming bullschit.  What is so freaking crazy is that there are STILL corps today who believe that wierwille was this benevolent, prophesying man of God. 

And, here at GreaseSpot........the wierwille-defenders refuse to connect the dots.  Go back thru the threads......and you'll see that NONE of the staunch wierwille-defenders ever changed his opinion.  And, I say "his"......because, as far as I know, every one of them were men.  With overwhelming evidence of wierwille's sexual predation........they dismiss it compared to "the greatness of pfal that he taught."  We see it on present threads.  You can see it on threads 15 years ago.  Go back thru the threads.......and read it for yourselves.  Wierwille-defenders protect their idol, wierwille.

Seems to me...............wierwille-defenders STILL want the mask back on.

Edited by skyrider
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 2

sky I think you describe perfectly the challenge we have with the "snow-on-the-gas-pumps" crowd.

I also experienced a more genuine Christian love I felt at the beginning of my involvement with the Way.  And there were many good-hearted people who insulated souls from the evil above.  Many times I was that good-hearted leader.  At other times I fell short of that.

I had a delusional view of the man and the message.  I had to come to grips with that before I could come to grips with what God "called me to".  Freedom of will is what God called me to, not enslavement.  

I think that is the true struggle of the Wierwille apologist.  It is an internal struggle, whether it is manifested outwardly on these pages in discussion or not.

• Upvote 2

Great posts,  Skyrider and ChockFull !

I know it’s been said – and my common sense would agree – no one ever knowingly joins a cult…

I got involved in ’74, and like you said it was a sweet time of a simple Christian lifestyle for me…  what might be a good metaphor for my 12 years of involvement with TWI is the  boiling frog fable  ...Early on I was not aware of the growing threat behind the Christian mask…but as time went on – the cult’s subtle powers of manipulation and exploitation extended... or should I say intruded further and further into my life…and it wasn’t until I started questioning things in ’86 that I began to suspect there might be a mask - - that something was covering the real problem or problems.

I am so thankful there’s a place like Grease Spot  - where unmasking a cult is a group effort !

Edited by T-Bone
clarity
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Yeah, chockfull.........there is a major struggle for these wierwille-apologists to internalize what happened.

It is really quite something to EXPERIENCE the intimidation, manipulation and exploitation.....year after year.  Behind closed doors, wierwille's vehement anger was unleashed on the corps time and again.  Everything ratcheted up in 1978........when the rock of ages was "ordained" to be at the root, at hq.

• 1978..........roa at headquarters!
  • 1978..........last year before adv class went "in-house"
  • 1978..........confrontation of three 8th corps gone research-rogue
  • 1978..........shell of OSC building; transitioning from BRC underway
  • 1978..........more campuses / more corporate structure

IMHO........the narcissist set his sights on "his legacy."  Full-speed ahead. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Yeah, T-Bone..........so thankful that GSC is here.

It really is amazing to go back thru those threads like say.......pages 88-179. 

Hundreds upon hundreds of posters have benefitted from this information.......and presumably, living life well now.

Edited by skyrider
  • Upvote 2

9 hours ago, skyrider said:

We see it on present threads. 

You can see it on threads 15 years ago.  Go back thru the threads.......and read it for yourselves.  Wierwille-defenders protect their idol, wierwille.

Some of the most contested threads from years ago involved...........wierwille-defenders protecting their idol.

Edited by skyrider
added thread

• 2 weeks later...

I never understood why Wierwille didn't have Way Builders build dormitories  at HQ and build class rooms for his University of Life(seminary), and get rid of the trailer park for residences for staff and teachers instead of purchasing Emporia and Rome City.

Edited by Thomas Loy Bumgarner
to add additional info

BTW, who was that masked man, Tonto? It was the Lone Stranger, portrayed by Dictor Wierdwillie, Cragsie, and Chrissy Gear

Edited by Thomas Loy Bumgarner

3 hours ago, Thomas Loy Bumgarner said:

I never understood why Wierwille didn't have Way Builders build dormitories  at HQ and build class rooms for his University of Life(seminary), and get rid of the trailer park for residences for staff and teachers instead of purchasing Emporia and Rome City.

Wasn't Rome City purchased because it was easier to get accreditation for "degrees" in that state?  (Not that any accredited degrees were ever granted!)  UL was before my time, so no knowledge of the background there.

Wasn't Emporia purchased because the WC was growing very fast at that point?  And there was an immediate need for housing and teaching facilities?

But you're right.  Proper residences for staff and proper classrooms would have been a jolly good idea, not to mention a good use of ABS.  The land was available and could have been used.  Heck, they could even have (1) paid local builders or (2) set up accredited apprenticeships for staff or in rez corps.  (Oh what a distraction that would have been!)  And they'd have to pay a proper rate to outside builders.

4 hours ago, Thomas Loy Bumgarner said:

Hmmm.

Like "Founders Hall"????  One cool apartment in the front for BellaDonna, and a whole lot of dormitory rooms, with a kitchen on the end and common areas.

But they kept the trailer park.  Bought double wides and call them "units".  Wedge 2 families to a trailer.  

On ‎3‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 2:36 PM, Thomas Loy Bumgarner said:

Thomas........I'm sure that DWBH, socks, and penworks could give you a detailed accounting of these questions better than I can, but I'll take a swing at it.

1. Why didn't wierwille have way builders build dormitories at hq? ................When the Executive Office Building (EOB) was built in 1969/1970.....upon early construction, it WAS slotted as a dormitory.  That's why there are separate men's and women's shower rooms in the lower level of that building.  The bedrooms were upstairs.  BUT......midway thru construction, twi was growing at a significant pace and the "dormitory" was redirected as an office building for the growing staff:  walter cummins' office, legal, finance, outreach and later, computer services that took over the west side of the building.
  2. Trailer park for staff residences? .............. Many of the early staff lived off-grounds and commuted from nearby towns.  Again, I'm sure that DWBH, socks, and penworks could give lots of specifics on this.......but solid-down-to-earth staff like Hearnes, Bowens, Skapuras, Shroyers, Gluckins, Raths, Wilsons, and lots of others lived in the surrounding towns.  There were staff residence homes/units near the BRC for the top-tier loyals........Howard Allen home, Ermal/Dorothy's unit, George/Bernita Jess' unit and the "original" corps unit which housed like six men on one side and six women on the other.  BUT......when the 4th corps were inbound for in-residence, wierwille sent out a directive for them to secure housing via a trailer unit (??) placed out back that would be accommodated with electrical and plumbing services.  Socks made reference to this at one time.
  3. Purchasing Emporia Campus and Rome City Campus? ........... Twi came to a major decision point when the 6th corps registration numbers came in:  325 people wanted to enter the corps indoctrination program.  That was a figure that more than quadrupled the 5th corps number of 75.  There was NO way that twi was prepared to have 325 in-residence corps at the way international:  not enough classrooms or break-out rooms , cafeteria space, or workload where staff was already doing this work. This was 1974, heading into 1975.  Thus, the purchase of the emporia campus ushered in a whole new scale of "work projects" as well as ample classrooms and dormitories.  Twi put up the 147-acre property to leverage the purchase.  The Rome City campus was for Family Corps.....as it was mainly "under one roof" and allowed for corps and children ample space.

• Upvote 1

On 2/22/2018 at 10:27 AM, chockfull said:

sky I think you describe perfectly the challenge we have with the "snow-on-the-gas-pumps" crowd.

I also experienced a more genuine Christian love I felt at the beginning of my involvement with the Way.  And there were many good-hearted people who insulated souls from the evil above.  Many times I was that good-hearted leader.  At other times I fell short of that.

I had a delusional view of the man and the message.  I had to come to grips with that before I could come to grips with what God "called me to".  Freedom of will is what God called me to, not enslavement.  

I think that is the true struggle of the Wierwille apologist.  It is an internal struggle, whether it is manifested outwardly on these pages in discussion or not.

Chock, great post!!  God is a God of freedom, not a God of slavery.  Since I left TWI, I have lived in Freedom everyday of my life.

On 3/7/2018 at 11:50 PM, WordWolf said:

I thought part of the reason for Emporia was so vpw could rope his son Don back into twi by offering the Education student an educational facility to administer. And it worked.

WW, it may have worked for TWI.  I am not sure, it worked that well for Don W.  DWBH has written about that here at the GSC.  I think Don might have had a better life, if he had stayed away from his father.

I don't want to go "on and on", but I do have "something or other" to say here: And I'll try to be brief:

I fondly remember my early years with The Way --- in the early 70's when there seemed more genuine love around. Sometimes I admit that grace may have "overbounded" at times, but if I had the choice between too much GRACE or too much LAW, I'd choose the grace every time! Hence, part of the mask:

Over time, things did become more organized and strict --- (and yes!) the Corps was browbeaten by VP. Things got much more intense though, after Craig became Pres. And eventually, it was "law on steroids"!

I'm just fine and dandy now. I'm trying to emulate that GRACE, and am not very concerned if I choose "somewhat poorly" at times. (I take the 5th!) One of my favorite verses is this: Ro 14:22 --- Happy is he that condemneth not himself in that thing which he alloweth.

Peace to all here!

16 minutes ago, spectrum49 said:

I don't want to go "on and on", but I do have "something or other" to say here: And I'll try to be brief:

I fondly remember my early years with The Way --- in the early 70's when there seemed more genuine love around. Sometimes I admit that grace may have "overbounded" at times, but if I had the choice between too much GRACE or too much LAW, I'd choose the grace every time! Hence, part of the mask:

Over time, things did become more organized and strict --- (and yes!) the Corps was browbeaten by VP. Things got much more intense though, after Craig became Pres. And eventually, it was "law on steroids"!

I'm just fine and dandy now. I'm trying to emulate that GRACE, and am not very concerned if I choose "somewhat poorly" at times. (I take the 5th!) One of my favorite verses is this: Ro 14:22 --- Happy is he that condemneth not himself in that thing which he alloweth.

Peace to all here!

49, what a Grace(ful) post!  I remember my first year in TWI was wonderful(1978.)  However, as early as 1980, I knew things were changing in Way World, and not for the better.  It seemed like people were more serious about running classes, and less kind to each other.  If I had been smart, I would have left, but I stayed another eight years, hoping TWI would get better.  Instead, it got worse.  Finally, after ten years I left, for good.

On 3/15/2018 at 4:27 PM, Grace Valerie Claire said:

49, what a Grace(ful) post!  I remember my first year in TWI was wonderful(1978.)  However, as early as 1980, I knew things were changing in Way World, and not for the better.  It seemed like people were more serious about running classes, and less kind to each other.  If I had been smart, I would have left, but I stayed another eight years, hoping TWI would get better.  Instead, it got worse.  Finally, after ten years I left, for good.

Grace, my beloved sister:

So --- Ya wised up after only 10 years, huh? Well, "You're a better man than I Charlie Brown!" I stayed from 1975 to 2008 (33 years total). And I had "a mind to leave" about 1995 or so, but "hung in there" yet another 13 years. And why, you ask?

Did I say before that I didn't want to "go on and on"? That's still my heart's intent here. But HELL --- ya just pushed my button! So, enjoy "the show". :biglaugh:

Ironically, it was the very notion of Biblical Research which got me interested initially --- yet it was (my own independent) Biblical Research which finally provided a way out for my wife and I. :rolleyes:

As with many, I was under the (false) impression that The Way had the skinny on Biblical research, and was proud to be on the avant-garde with such an organization! (As we now understand, I couldn't have been more wrong.) :nono5:

And I was a good little Wayfer too: I was a Twig Leader/Coordinator a few times and went WOW thrice --- in '77, '79 and '90. Concerning giving: My wife & I were very successful in the secular realm. Eventually, we were giving at the 25% level, which (at times) amounted to over $10K/year. :redface:

(I just can't believe the local Corps once confided in us that we might be giving too much! But perhaps they were merely jealous, struggling at their own daunting task to reach 15% as an example to the rest of the ministry...even as encouraged to by HQ, which I found out later on.) :angry:

I had always LOVED to study the Scripture. And once I gleaned all I could about the research principles (which are about 95% common knowledge anyway...and not their own!) I set out to perhaps discover some new things for myself, many of which weren't in the collaterals --- which certainly wasn't popular to do! (Ha! Ha!) :spy:

Over the years, I was shot down time and again by my Twig Leaders, etc, etc --- who had no vision, except as directed from HQ! However, they still put up with me although (in their eyes) I was hashing the Word to pieces! Eventually, I learned to keep my mouth shut and held many discovered gems in my heart. :rolleyes:

Anyway, it was in June of 1988 when I had a strange sort of vision. Now, I won't elaborate on that event here, but it was definitely phenomenal. Through it, I believed I had direction from above to look into something quite remarkable in the Word. 

Honestly though: At the time, I considered it to either be the worst trick ever played on me by evil spiritual forces to miss the mark OR the greatest personal revelation I had ever received from God himself (or perhaps now, as I'm learning a bit --- from my "big brother" JC).

But I kept at it, studying on my own (without help from TWI) to prove whether or not my idea could truly hold water.

I really desire not to "go on and on". So to suffice, let me say that it turned out just as I had envisioned it. Over the years I tried to introduce it to the leadership, to no avail. I was shot down again and again. (Oh, the war stories I could tell!) :asdf:

Though (in '95, after about 7 years of intense research) I had it all pretty much worked out, I was adamant in supposing that (eventually) the leadership would see it; and that all of the disappointment, frustration, pain and misery would be over, even as a mother's travail in childbirth ceases just after delivery. :jump:

But that was just not to be, for they continued opposing my research until the very end --- when it finally became obvious that their ignorance (unbelief) was not apistia (as I had tried to suppose all along) but apitheia! They just didn't give a damn (were apathetic) concerning my discoveries. So my wife and departed their company for good, even as you had done. :beer:

And the research? I published it myself (worldwide) in a book --- which is available at GS for download, if ya like. (See my profile page.)

Well, enough of my silly ranting. Thanks for listening. God Bless! :wave:

Edited by spectrum49
grammar
  • Upvote 1

Heh, Spec, it was the "research" as much as anything that excited me, too.  In fact, pre-PFAL, I asked if the Dead Sea Scrolls would have any impact on the research, and whether there was any Way material that could be studied.  Initially I was met with blank or sideways looks, and later, "You can ask that question, take PFAL first, you can write to HQ."  Of course, that never happened.

I also asked if they were proposing to put out their own Bible, based on their research, and was told that as it was a research ministry, it would be better not to, because research was discovering new things all the time and TWI would have to keep amending any Bible version they produced.  It sounded exciting, like there was a big bunch of people really digging around for new light.  ...Now, I'm minded to think that they had nothing but VPW's expanded literals according to usage, or whatever pompous name they were called, which would be laughable anywhere outside TWI - those "literals according to usage" that weren't directly pinched from the Amplified Version or similar.

15 minutes ago, spectrum49 said:

Grace, my beloved sister:

So --- Ya wised up after only 10 years, huh? Well, "You're a better man than I Charlie Brown!" I stayed from 1975 to 2008 (33 years total). And I had "a mind to leave" about 1995 or so, but "hung in there" yet another 13 years. And why, you ask?

Did I say before that I didn't want to "go on and on"? That's still my heart's intent here. But HELL --- ya just pushed my button! So, enjoy "the show". :biglaugh:

Ironically, it was the very notion of Biblical Research which got me interested initially --- yet it was (my own independent) Biblical Research which finally provided a way out for my wife and I. :rolleyes:

As with many, I was under the (false) impression that The Way had the skinny on Biblical research, and was proud to be on the avant-garde with such an organization! (As we now understand, I couldn't have been more wrong.) :nono5:

And I was a good little Wayfer too: I was a Twig Leader/Coordinator a few times and went WOW thrice --- in '77, '79 and '90. Concerning giving: My wife & I were very successful in the secular realm. Eventually, we were giving at the 25% level, which (at times) amounted to over $10K/year. :redface:

(I just can't believe the local Corps once confided in us that we might be giving too much! But perhaps they were merely jealous, struggling at their own daunting task to reach 15% as an example to the rest of the ministry...even as encouraged to by HQ, which I found out later on.) :angry:

I had always LOVED to study the Scripture. And once I gleaned all I could about the research principles (which are about 95% common knowledge anyway...and not their own!) I set out to perhaps discover some new things for myself, many of which weren't in the collaterals --- which certainly wasn't popular to do! (Ha! Ha!) :spy:

Over the years, I was shot down time and again by my Twig Leaders, etc, etc --- who had no vision, except as directed from HQ! However, they still put up with me although (in their eyes) I was hashing the Word to pieces! Eventually, I learned to keep my mouth shut and held many discovered gems in my heart. :rolleyes:

Anyway, it was in June of 1988 when I had a strange sort of vision. Now, I won't elaborate on that event here, but it was definitely phenomenal. Through it, I believed I had direction from above to look into something quite remarkable in the Word. 

(Honestly though: At the time, I considered it to either be the worst trick ever played on me by evil spiritual forces to miss the mark OR the greatest personal revelation I had ever received from God himself (or perhaps now, as I'm learning a bit --- from my "big brother" JC).

But I kept at it, studying on my own (without help from TWI) to prove whether or not my idea could truly hold water.

I really desire not to "go on and on". So to suffice, let me say that it turned out just as I had envisioned it. Over the years I tried to introduce it to the leadership, to no avail. I was shot down again and again. (Oh, the war stories I could tell!) :asdf:

Though (in '95, after about 7 years of intense research) I had it all pretty much worked out, I was adamant in supposing that (eventually) the leadership would see it; and that all of the disappointment, frustration, pain and misery would be over, even as a mother's travail in childbirth ceases just after delivery. :jump:

But that was just not to be, for they continued opposing my research until the very end --- when it finally became obvious that their ignorance (unbelief) was not apistia (as I had tried to suppose all along) but apitheia! They just didn't give a damn (were apathetic) concerning my discoveries. So my wife and departed their company for good, even as you had done. :beer:

And the research? I published it myself (worldwide) in a book --- which is available at GS for download, if ya like. (See my profile page.)

Well, enough of my silly ranting. Thanks for listening. God Bless! :wave:

49, bless you and your wife!!  33 years!!  Wow!  I will definitely download your book.  Have you read Sky's posts about his time in TWI??  49, to me it was a mindblower, and well-written to boot. TWI tried to shoot-down a number of believers, who did independent research.  What a shame!  It is good to have you here at the GSC, 49.  A lot of people might be interested in your research.  Have you been to the Doctrinal Section?  TTFN!

8 minutes ago, Grace Valerie Claire said:

49, bless you and your wife!!  33 years!!  Wow!  I will definitely download your book.  Have you read Sky's posts about his time in TWI??  49, to me it was a mindblower, and well-written to boot. TWI tried to shoot-down a number of believers, who did independent research.  What a shame!  It is good to have you here at the GSC, 49.  A lot of people might be interested in your research.  Have you been to the Doctrinal Section?  TTFN!

To make it easier for you to find, I'm inserting my book here. (Please read "with a grain of salt".) ENJOY!

I have perused a bit of Sky's stuff in times past; perhaps I'll take it more seriously and search for the portion you mentioned. And YES, Doctrinal Section is where I post mostly. However, I don't get to GS all that often any more. But maybe that will change back, having seen your "most kind" words to me. Love, Mel Elliott. :wave:

Genesis One God's Table of Contents to the Bible.pdf

Edited by spectrum49
grammar
  • Upvote 1

Gosh, Spec.  That's a long read.  Haven't looked at it yet (it's midnight).  Saved for another day's reading.

• Like 1