GreaseSpot Cafe

Why can't corps retire from twi.......with dignity?

skyrider

After the lawyers got involved in those lawsuits regarding sexual predation, which prompted martindale's ouster........I was under the impression that rivenbark had to dial back lots of the manipulation and exploitation of its followers.  From those of you still in at the time......wasn't twi reprimanded to stop the "salary-based-on-needs-basis" doctrine because it was ILLEGAL?  And further, that twi needed to pay overtime for those who worked more than 46 hours per week?  Plus, twi could NOT regulate someone on staff who wanted to have a second job to supplement their income.....and that's why John Linder is a real estate agent when he's not brandishing his 9mm Glock handgun as head bodyguard at the way international.

So, my question................Why can't corps retire from twi with dignity?

Sure, it's a sleazy, indoctrinating cult and all........but what's the point in kicking people "in the groin" when they simply want a little respect and dignity?  Are the board of directors so jaded and sadistic that they can't extend some respect to those who'd worked to promote their product for some 40 years? ........for those who used their OWN money to move from state to state, and job to job, to help run hundreds and hundreds (thousands?) of meetings, and classes?

Of course, many of us remember wierwille boasted that "......we don't retire in The Way" as he heaped praise on Dorothy and Rhoda, but they were FULL-TIME staff and had trailer units on grounds.  Did they ever move year after year, and slave to pay the bills.....and eat cereal for supper before rushing off to teach the next twig fellowship?  NO......they did not.

It is absolutely mind-blowing to see the hardness of heart from Rosalie, Jean-Yves, JohnR, and BillyG. !!!

When I go back and re-read that Revival and Restoration thread.....that August 2016 letter and follow-up letter from Melody Ann Carter, they were requesting "respect and dignity" for all their years of service.  They wanted emeritus status for decades of fighting for twi in the trenches of life.  Sure, they were peeved that old Rosalie wouldn't address their concerns or moderate her stance on several doctrine issues......namely, that debt-doctrine.  But more than that.........they DID NOT want to jump thru any more hoops.  Why couldn't they retire with dignity........and sit a spell?

Bottom Line..............moynihans, horneys, forts, others wanted some R-E-S-P-E-C-T.  (Sing it Aretha Franklin........)

What is so glaringly repugnant is that..................Rosalie NEVER served on-the-field after she graduated from Family Corps.  Hypocrisy much?

Jean-Yves NEVER served on-the-field after he graduated from the 16th Corps.  Hypocrisy much?

On ‎1‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 9:08 PM, skyrider said:

Yes, retirement or closing-in-on-retirement..........AND.........the fact that rosa-lie wanted to set up a "retiree" program with hoops and reporting back.  Being micromanaged for decades was hard, for sure.......but, to be micromanaged at their age and OFF PAYROLL was a bridge too far.

I think this "perfect storm" hit them from several sides at once.......and they'd FINALLY had enough.

1 hour ago, chockfull said:

I was just reflecting back upon how many of those clowns in that picture row micro managed me for many years when I was OFF PAYROLL.  Didn't care about me, my family.  Didn't care about any long term goals for people's lives.  Kept imposing more and more stupid rules.  Kept making people move at their own expense, to increase their control over them and dependency upon them.  Kept reducing the amount of even Bible teaching was available, and censored it to previously published works in an enclosed system.   Kept increasing Pharisaical man-made rules every year.  These rules made the burden lighter on those at the top and the burden greater on those downstream.  Volunteers bear the brunt of the Pharisee's doctrine and practice.

The head Pharisees use the standard of their own twisted, egotistical, and demented lives to impose restrictions on others.  Jesus Christ as the cornerstone all measurements proceed from is notably absent.

Edited by skyrider
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Why can't corps retire from twi with dignity.......and emeritus status?

Well........imo, the BOD are so far from agapeo love that they are beset with paranoia.  To them.......they cannot allow the moynihans, and others, to retire WITH STATUS and ACCESS to twi-followers.  The pyramid structure just doesn't allow much room at the top......let alone, opening the door for scores of corps grads to retire with emeritus status.

Thus..........The Purge.

In controlling power, one has to keep the plebs in submission.  Think Scientology.  Think North Korea. 

Purging select individuals sends a powerful message.......if you don't tow the line, you too will be purged.  For those who've been indoctrinated that *rewards are attained by staying faithful to and in the household*....ie. the way international....it is a clear and present danger to not cross THAT line. 

The invisible fence.......*rewards are attained by staying faithful to and in the household*........keeps the dogs in their backyard.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, skyrider said:

After the lawyers got involved in those lawsuits regarding sexual predation, which prompted martindale's ouster........I was under the impression that rivenbark had to dial back lots of the manipulation and exploitation of its followers.  From those of you still in at the time......wasn't twi reprimanded to stop the "salary-based-on-needs-basis" doctrine because it was ILLEGAL?  And further, that twi needed to pay overtime for those who worked more than 46 hours per week?  Plus, twi could NOT regulate someone on staff who wanted to have a second job to supplement their income.....and that's why John Linder is a real estate agent when he's not brandishing his 9mm Glock handgun as head bodyguard at the way international.

So, my question................Why can't corps retire from twi with dignity?

Sure, it's a sleazy, indoctrinating cult and all........but what's the point in kicking people "in the groin" when they simply want a little respect and dignity?  Are the board of directors so jaded and sadistic that they can't extend some respect to those who'd worked to promote their product for some 40 years? ........for those who used their OWN money to move from state to state, and job to job, to help run hundreds and hundreds (thousands?) of meetings, and classes?

Of course, many of us remember wierwille boasted that "......we don't retire in The Way" as he heaped praise on Dorothy and Rhoda, but they were FULL-TIME staff and had trailer units on grounds.  Did they ever move year after year, and slave to pay the bills.....and eat cereal for supper before rushing off to teach the next twig fellowship?  NO......they did not.

It is absolutely mind-blowing to see the hardness of heart from Rosalie, Jean-Yves, JohnR, and BillyG. !!!

When I go back and re-read that Revival and Restoration thread.....that August 2016 letter and follow-up letter from Melody Ann Carter, they were requesting "respect and dignity" for all their years of service.  They wanted emeritus status for decades of fighting for twi in the trenches of life.  Sure, they were peeved that old Rosalie wouldn't address their concerns or moderate her stance on several doctrine issues......namely, that debt-doctrine.  But more than that.........they DID NOT want to jump thru any more hoops.  Why couldn't they retire with dignity........and sit a spell?

Bottom Line..............moynihans, horneys, forts, others wanted some R-E-S-P-E-C-T.  (Sing it Aretha Franklin........)

What is so glaringly repugnant is that..................Rosalie NEVER served on-the-field after she graduated from Family Corps.  Hypocrisy much?

Jean-Yves NEVER served on-the-field after he graduated from the 16th Corps.  Hypocrisy much?

An adaptation of “Respect” modified for the board of directors

R-E-S-P-E-C-T
Find out what it means to me
R-E-S-P-E-C-T
Take out those B-O-Ds

(S-O-Bs would work too)

...on second thought "Take out those B-O-Ds" sounds like a mobster hit...since I'm opposed to violence let's make that "Kick out those B-O-Ds"

Edited by T-Bone
revision
  • Upvote 1

One might suppose that Ros-a-Lie sets the example by not retiring.  She's making a better fist (as in tight fisted) than VPW, who basically got sidelined.  She's made d@mn sure she's not going to get sidelined like that.  Therefore, everyone has to follow her example.

I attend two churches.  In both, recently, the vicar or rector (minister) has just retired, Paul about 10 months ago and Edward in November.  Their retirement was planned for, and welcomed (with regret) by their congregations, who acknowledged that these ministers had "paid their dues," (with regret by the congregation because they were popular ministers, lovely men).  I recall some years ago, the PCC was pushing for a raise in the stipend for a previous vicar (another Paul), because he needed to plan for his retirement.

All of these men have gone on to continue serving other congregations, taking a different role from leadership/ministering, but still vitally involved in congregations in their new areas.  Nobody makes them; they do so because they love to serve.  But it gives them the opportunity to serve in a different capacity, according to their abilities now and in the foreseeable future.

If TWI left people alone and stopped interfering, they'd probably find that many would have stuck around anyway to continue to serve, in whatever capacity.  But legalism, compulsion, kills the joy of giving and of serving.  But hey - can't teach an old cult new tricks. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, skyrider said:

Why can't corps retire from twi with dignity.......and emeritus status?

Well........imo, the BOD are so far from agapeo love that they are beset with paranoia.  To them.......they cannot allow the moynihans, and others, to retire WITH STATUS and ACCESS to twi-followers.  The pyramid structure just doesn't allow much room at the top......let alone, opening the door for scores of corps grads to retire with emeritus status.

Thus..........The Purge.

In controlling power, one has to keep the plebs in submission.  Think Scientology.  Think North Korea. 

Purging select individuals sends a powerful message.......if you don't tow the line, you too will be purged.  For those who've been indoctrinated that *rewards are attained by staying faithful to and in the household*....ie. the way international....it is a clear and present danger to not cross THAT line. 

The invisible fence.......*rewards are attained by staying faithful to and in the household*........keeps the dogs in their backyard.

Sky, great post!  However, I do have a question for you.  If Way Corps had retired with "emeritus status", would TWI have to pay them, after they retired?  

14 minutes ago, Grace Valerie Claire said:

Sky, great post!  However, I do have a question for you.  If Way Corps had retired with "emeritus status", would TWI have to pay them, after they retired?  

Trick question.  If you're asking if they need to CONTINUE to pay "emeritus corps" then it's a trick question because they would have to START paying them first. If you want to know if they meant "retire and START getting paid", I think that isn't the direction of the question.

The question is meant as "Why can't the corps retire from being on twi's leash and continuously living at twi's beck and call. and instead just be normal retirees who might do something because they want to and volunteer and not because they're "volunteered" by twi?"

1 minute ago, WordWolf said:

Trick question.  If you're asking if they need to CONTINUE to pay "emeritus corps" then it's a trick question because they would have to START paying them first. If you want to know if they meant "retire and START getting paid", I think that isn't the direction of the question.

The question is meant as "Why can't the corps retire from being on twi's leash and continuously living at twi's beck and call. and instead just be normal retirees who might do something because they want to and volunteer and not because they're "volunteered" by twi?"

WW, I had forgotten that they didn't get paid by TWI.  I would think, once people have "retired", they should be allowed to do what they want with their time.  I didn't realize that WC, were still at TWI's beck, and call even after they retired.  Why can't they just do what other retirees do?  

17 minutes ago, WordWolf said:

LOL! Why would anyone in their right mind want to volunteer with that cult anyway?

Otherwise, your restatement of the question seems quite reasonable. Of course, "emeritus" status doesn't automatically or contractually confer on anyone anything other than what they get when their hair turns gray. But I suspect Skyrider linked the expression with retiring with dignity for a reason.

I would think that the exodus of this particular group in 2017, after many of them had spent a 40 year career with the cult, might have been motivated somewhat by a desire for finding a funding stream for retirement pay. Then again, that's only speculation on my part.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Rocky said:

LOL! Why would anyone in their right mind want to volunteer with that cult anyway?

Otherwise, your restatement of the question seems quite reasonable. Of course, "emeritus" status doesn't automatically or contractually confer on anyone anything other than what they get when their hair turns gray. But I suspect Skyrider linked the expression with retiring with dignity for a reason.

I would think that the exodus of this particular group in 2017, after many of them had spent a 40 year career with the cult, might have been motivated somewhat by a desire for finding a funding stream for retirement pay. Then again, that's only speculation on my part.

Rocky, I think you might be right: many of the people "retired" from TWI, and joined a different group, for money.  Perhaps there are other factors, but I think money would be the most important reason, why the new group was formed.

4 hours ago, WordWolf said:

Don't forget - Corps are there for a "lifetime of service."  Only what was meant was, a lifetime of servitude.

Why else do you suppose TWI pushed so much the doulos (bondservant) aspect?  Jesus called his disciples "friends," not servants.  We aren't required to be servants any more. 

Remember this?  Eph 2:6 "And God raised us up with Christ and seated us with Him [Christ] in the heavenly realms in Christ Jesus" and the teaching that when the work is done, then the person is seated (why Christ is seated at the right hand of God - because his work of redemption is complete.  There are no slaves or servants in the heavenly places - their work is completed too.  Why?  Because of God's desire to show his graciousness to us.  Read the beginning of Eph 4 again.  Look at love, grace, mercy, kindness.  Pretty good retirement scheme, huh?

Even though Jesus is now seated at the right hand of God, however, he still works through his body, the church, to which he has committed the ministry of reconciliation.  One has to suppose that Jesus must be working by choice if his work on earth is done.  And we too can choose daily if we want to fulfill the ministry that has been assigned to us. 

With God, it's always "Choose ye this day ..." not "this day you are compelled ..."

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, WordWolf said:

Thanks WW...........yes, that succinctly is the gist of my question.

After reading thru these replies..........I tend to think that many of these corps grads presumed that they'd  "run out the clock with service to twi" and then, receive recognition and respect from the BOD and retire to the sidelines.  But as the years quickly passed, the board of directors kept moving the goal posts as noted in Melody Ann Carter's Facebook post: .... "We had asked for years to retire from The Way Corps when Kevin was 60 – but alas, a new policy came out after my letter to the BODs in 2007, stating that you could not even request to go Emeritus until you were 65. WOW!! Yet another policy!!! So when the top leadership last year decided that they were going to change the Emeritus status to Retired status – they wanted to get those that were retired to sign up for things like writing articles, or doing certain projects…etc…. many said – retired means retired. Stop micromanaging me!" ....

Note:  It seems apparently clear that these corps grads knew there were structural/doctrinal issues and dismal failures ABOUNDING IN TWI.......but after decades of service to twi, they wanted to "run out the clock" and be recognized for their dedication.  Sure, it was wrong on so many levels......compromising spiritual/moral integrity and all that, but in the end they just wanted to "save face" for all the years of servitude to twi. 

So, the BOD moved the goal posts----  1) Emeritus status to 2) Retired status.......then from Retired status to "we still have some projects and things that we want you to do."

Year after year, as corps grads were nearing "retirement" their frustrations and ire were mounting.  I would surmise that there were many private conversations and emails going back and forth from say 2008-2016........when 12 corps grad couples sent that August 2016 letter to Rosalie and directors and signing their names below.

THEN......Rosalie refused to meet with them as a group.  On her terms, at headquarters......... she would meet with each couple individually.  But then, to them......they'd seen that rodeo many, many times before and viewed it as a trap.  After 16 years of her dismal "leadership".......they wanted HER gone.  The months ticked by.  And, in January 2017 she installed JYDL as the new president and she slipped into the vice prez seat right beside him.  If this was a chess match, THAT was checkmate!  She would whisper in JYDL's ear daily......and STILL controlled all the power levers at headquarters.

The corps grads mounted their forces with MORE opposition.......and thus, the March 2017 letter.

This letter was the culmination of years of frustration.  Now, the gloves were off!!

• Notice ....ALL the structural and doctrinal issues that are addressed.
  • Notice ....the direct attack on Rosalie's "evil fruit"
  • Notice ....the pointing out of dismal numbers and classes
  • Notice ....LOTS more corps grads signed this March 2017 letter

March 2017

Dear beloved Way Corps ministers,

God’s abundant blessings, mercy, and peace be unto you. As Way Corps ministers, we have been and continue to be deeply concerned with the direction our beloved ministry has taken. This is why we persist in sounding the alarm.

We wholeheartedly desire revival and restoration for our ministry of Biblical research, teaching, and fellowship. The entire Way Corps household should realize the need to restore this ministry back to the heart and Biblical truths as initiated by our Founder, Dr. Victor Paul Wierwille. He earned respect many times over by teaching the greatness of God’s Word, leading from the front, and cultivating individual believer’s long suits. He did not ask others to do what he had not done many times himself. This respect cannot simply be transferred. Those succeeding in the same position must earn respect themselves. This involves leading from the front rather than pushing from behind.

We remain firm in our requests to bring our ministry back to "It Is Written," so the Word of the Lord may have free course and be glorified, starting with:

1. Lift the non-Biblical “no debt” policy that excludes classes and service to those in debt. Rather, continue to teach God’s will of living within our means, working heartily as unto the Lord, and sharing of our abundance.

2. Eliminate the “absolute” power of the current self-appointed board. Replace it with a larger elected board with established term limits and input from the entire Way Corps household.

3. Bring The Way Corps meetings back to their roots to include spiritually energized, in-depth teachings of God’s Word with an emphasis on scope and a word-by-word study of the scripture.

4. Redesign Sunday Teaching Services with an energized service and teachers that motivate and inspire believing. Stream the teachings—we have the fiber optic cable already in place to do so. “Spiritual weakness and inability is caused by improper diet and neglect of the Word.” --VPW

5. Rethink how Way Corps assignments and placements are handled. Post open positions. Way Corps assignments should be in conjunction with each Way Corps minister, ensuring these decisions really are “best for the individual” and then the ministry by having open discussions and transparent motives.

6. Reestablish the Word living within a base of youth to lead us into the next generation, or the ministry will not survive. Reenergize their participation by respecting their needs for “Hot Bible,” musical alternatives, listening for and seeking their input, and honoring their desire for fellowship with one another.

7. Reestablish a research team. This is vital to restore the foundation of our ministry to the integrity of the Word.

8. Reach out to re-engage Way Corps ministers who have been dropped or have discontinued their Way Corps service due to their conscience based on the Word, family needs, health or other issues.

We know this is not an exhaustive list, but only several of the basics. You will likely have other concerns you would like to see addressed.

Our Lord Jesus Christ showed us how to best evaluate leadership by his simple statement: “By their fruits ye shall know them.” In Matthew 7:15-20, he warned as follows:

Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.

Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?

Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit.

A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.

Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.

Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.

The fruit of our current leadership for the past decade has become increasingly apparent.

1. In the past 10 years we have lost over 150 Way Corps ministers. Combined with continuing small in-residence Corps classes, the overall Way Corps numbers are in a sharp decline.

2. The number of new graduates who stand following completion of classes is dropping. Because qualified Advanced Class candidate numbers have dropped so low, there is no longer a need to do a class every year.

3. There has been a steady decrease in the number of believers seeking employment at The Way International and there is a high turnover rate.

4. Attendance at Sunday Teaching Services at The Way International Headquarters and at on-the-field phone hookups is consistently low.

5. The Way International has a book value of all assets over $68 million, however believers often pay a facility fee to meet as a State or Branch, or they meet in only “budget” or “free” spaces.  There are less and less full time ministers on the field and in many Regions only one full time couple in the entire Region. This inequality is non-Biblical and begs the question of how the abundant sharing is utilized. There is no transparency. (II Corinthians 8:14)

6. There is continued mistreatment of long-standing, faithful believers and leadership. Without dialogue and nothing resembling I Timothy 5:19-21, numerous ministers—including seasoned Officers, Region coordinators, State coordinators, Branch coordinators, and others on Headquarters Staff—have been abruptly removed, mishandled, and in several cases barred from fellowship. This is inexcusable.

7. The Board of Directors have refused to dialogue regarding the Biblical confrontation for which they were rebuked on August 12, 2016. The attached letters were sent asking for representatives to meet with the Board of Directors and later to attend the Region coordinator’s meetings so concerns could be effectually represented. The only option given was meeting with one couple at a time, not in a suggested Acts 15-type leadership meeting. The Board of Directors continue to move ahead unrepentant.

These are factual indications of their fruit. Additional questions need to be asked: Do we have the same laughter, joy, and wholehearted goodwill and love for one another that we once knew and loved in our beloved ministry? Why have we not had any nationwide Way Corps face-to-face meetings where we can fully share and learn from one another in an open manner? Why is the labor for and loyalty to a few select individuals exalted above commitment and devotion to our heavenly Father? These things have thwarted the purposes of God.

The future of our ministry is in peril. This information is intended as a call to action. We have not undertaken this mission lightly, but rather with prayer and a multitude of counselors working together. We recognize our first letter was “loud” in that it addressed issues openly. It is now essential to “yell long” as the Way Corps continue to arise, allowing God to bare His mighty arm. It is time to boldly speak up; we stand approved before God, not men. We will no longer cover for the Board of Directors.

Your one-accord voice is needed. As stated in Acts 4:20, after being commanded by the chief priests and elders not to speak at all, nor teach in the name of Jesus, they simply replied, “We cannot but speak the things which we have seen and heard.” They went to their “own company” and reported all that the chief priests and elders had said unto them, Acts 4:23. As a result, in verse 24, they lifted up their voice to God with one accord. Boldness to speak the Word, signs and wonders, and a multitude of believers with one heart and soul was the fruit. Great grace was upon them all.

Many of us have informed our “own company” of our Biblical confrontation and why it was done. We have encouraged the believers to pray for our ministry and live the Word. The results have been a greater commitment to “It is Written,” relief that their concerns are being addressed, and a thankfulness that the Word of God is the foundation of our lives. It has been an answer of peace. We encourage you to do the same as God works in your heart.

It must be the Word, the Word, and nothing but the Word.

The numbers that support a change at the Board of Director level are consistently growing. You can contact us at: revivalandrestoration@outlook.com and/or contact us personally with any questions or comments.

Lovingly in Christ,

Ray and Sandy Beets, Ted and Ramona Bidon, Paul and Connie Brooks, Brett and Dale Byers,

Kevin and Melody Carter, Todd and Michelle Cencich, Michael and Cindy Fort,

Gary and Patricia Frederick, Scott and Kristina Froelich, Matthew and Laurie Harmon,

Ed and Jacque Horney, Mark and Terri Ladwig, Aaron and Kelly Lapp, Darrell La Salle,

Rhett Major, Bob and Dottie Moynihan, Rich and Vera O’Neal,

Buddy and Donna Pressler, Stephen and Patty Fay Roberts, David and Cecilia Rowe, Jon and Lisa Ryan,

Michael and Billi-Jo Sanders, Phil and Sue Shelton, Rick and Marian Schilling, Jeffrey and Chrissy Skeltis,

Gene and Sherry Slavit, Sean and Mary Strickland, Walter and Christina Uyehara…plus dozens more

Edited by skyrider

4 hours ago, Twinky said:

Don't forget - Corps are there for a "lifetime of service."  Only what was meant was, a lifetime of servitude.

Why else do you suppose TWI pushed so much the doulos (bondservant) aspect?  Jesus called his disciples "friends," not servants.  We aren't required to be servants any more. 

Remember this?  Eph 2:6 "And God raised us up with Christ and seated us with Him [Christ] in the heavenly realms in Christ Jesus" and the teaching that when the work is done, then the person is seated (why Christ is seated at the right hand of God - because his work of redemption is complete.  There are no slaves or servants in the heavenly places - their work is completed too.  Why?  Because of God's desire to show his graciousness to us.  Read the beginning of Eph 4 again.  Look at love, grace, mercy, kindness.  Pretty good retirement scheme, huh?

Even though Jesus is now seated at the right hand of God, however, he still works through his body, the church, to which he has committed the ministry of reconciliation.  One has to suppose that Jesus must be working by choice if his work on earth is done.  And we too can choose daily if we want to fulfill the ministry that has been assigned to us. 

With God, it's always "Choose ye this day ..." not "this day you are compelled ..."

Twinky, I think your last paragraph was very interesting.  I felt that much of what I did in TWI was "compelled", and not my "choice."  God may have wanted people to "choose", but IMO, TWI "compelled" it's people to do a lot many things, not in their best interest.