GreaseSpot Cafe

Why I left an Evangelical Cult -- Ted Talk

Rocky

2 hours ago, JayDee said:

I agree T-Bone. Unless proven otherwise of course. :rolleyes:

Just some speculation on my part - but I think people are people - and I was going along the train of thought Waysider mentioned - I was trying to show the relevance of Paul’s situation to what many of us experienced after leaving TWI...

...it takes time and effort to undo the mental ruts that become a part of one’s life...and it varies from individual to individual — depending on how long and how much you were involved.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Taxidev said:

Grace, DWBH, and T-Bone,

I just sent your correspondence as three attachments with my own introduction in the body of the email.  It might take a while for any responses.  It went to twelve couples.  I just realized I didn't ask them to forward it to anyone that was missing from the list - I know of one in particular.  Sorry.

I also invited them here to engage with all of you directly.  Like JayDee said, I'm not holding my breath.

Taxi, personally I think the R&R is a scam.  But, thanks.

18 hours ago, Twinky said:

A bit off topic now, given the (predictable) way this thread has gone, but I'm out tonight, beating the feet on the streets from about 9.30pm to about 3.30am.  You folks here will easily be awake in those hours, given the time differences.  So, if you think of it, please pray for -- the safety of our team and city (and the other teams out within the UK);   the wisdom for us to deal with whatever we encounter; and for our tongues to speak words of peace and blessing to those we encounter.  We as a team know we'll have a good time in each others' company.

So.  I just got in from 5 hours strolling the streets of this city.  Many people came up to us and told us they loved us, loved what we do.  Of course, we accept their thanks, but say we do it because we love God and want them to share in that love. 

Tonight also several people came up to us specifically to ask us to pray, including: one young soldier who is about to be posted to a recent war zone; another young man outside a gay pub [his eyeliner was much better than I ever managed, LOL!], who says he's a Christian and goes to church in another city, now a student in my city, and he seeks a church that will be supportive of him (able to refer him to somewhere convenient for his student accom); and another young man with some spiritual issues (able to help there too).  We also talked with huddles of the "regulars" who are homeless, gave them coffee or tea and muesli bars; one of them that we usually pray with (and he sings us a hymn, to thank us) was asleep, so we didn't get to pray with him.  The door security staff are always pleased to see us, greeting us with handshakes and hugs.  We assisted (by request) at the railway station - the railway police now like us to be there when a particular train goes out, as the partying passengers can become very rowdy.  We collected only 48 entire bottles (usually more like 80+) and swept up 3 broken bottles (usually more like 8).  It was a quiet night in town, so we didn't get to help sober up any legless drunks, clean up their vomit on their clothes and the dirt on their faces, or persuade taxis to take them home.

Yep.  Quite a long way from being in an "evangelical cult."  And an even greater distance from parsing Greek verbs.

Thanks to those of you who prayed for a safe night for the team.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

The cats, of course, think that 4am is playtime, not bedtime.  So, having spent till 3.15am Street Pastoring, I now find myself Cat Pastoring.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Twinky said:

Yep.  Quite a long way from being in an "evangelical cult."  And an even greater distance from parsing Greek verbs.

Thanks to those of you who prayed for a safe night for the team.

And dare I say, quite adventurous too. No doubt you take measures to minimize risks, but there certainly still are risks.

"An adventure is an exciting experience that is typically a bold, sometimes risky, undertaking. Adventures may be activities with some potential for physical danger such as traveling, exploring, skydiving, mountain climbing, scuba diving, river rafting or participating in extreme sports. The term also broadly refers to any enterprise that is potentially fraught with physical, financial or psychological risk, such as a business venture, or other major life undertakings."

The rewards are likely far more emotionally satisfying too.  Twinky, thanks for sharing your experience with us.

6 hours ago, Rocky said:

And dare I say, quite adventurous too. No doubt you take measures to minimize risks, but there certainly still are risks.

It's a pretty safe adventure, at least in my city, which is a fairly peaceful, wealthy, touristy, town-and-gown city and beloved by hen and stag parties.    Other cities have different circumstances to cope with. 

We go out as a team of min 3 Street Pastors, and preferably 4 - a threesome stay together, a foursome is two pairs on opposite sides of the street.  The city centre is heavily watched by CCTV and we have radios that communicate with CCTV, with all the bar security staff, with a roving band of security staff ("the heavies") who drive around with a paramedic in an ambulance, and with the police (who also have their own radios).  If we think something is starting to kick off, we can ask for cameras to be put on the scene, or we can ask the heavies to come by (they arrive within minutes).  We don't get involved with fights, but our very presence (and our prayers for peace) are often enough to defuse a situation.  Which is not to say there aren't incidents, but they are few and far between.

We have had no assaults upon us in the ten years we've been going - verbal abuse hurled at us occasionally, but rarely - mostly we get people running up to us and throwing their arms around us and exclaiming, "We're so glad you're here to take care of us!"

I got involved in this from the beginning, in this city.  I had been thinking how much better life was now, how healed I had become by the tenderness and kindness I'd received in my church.  I wanted to contribute something into the life of this city.  There was a notice up in church about a new street patrol that was proposed at weekends, and inviting interested people to a meeting.  I instantly felt "smote in the heart" and knew this was something I should be doing.  So I went to the initial meeting, and three months later those who'd remained interested were all trained and we hit the streets.  Many of the initial intake are still part of the group.  There were initial reservations from door staff and the community, who thought we were police in disguise.  But now we are widely recognised for our help and non-judgmental approach.  So many different doors open to us, to serve and to preach the gospel - "occasionally with words."

I can only say, this would never, never, never have happened with any Wayfer project.  It's a universe apart. 

Yep.  Who needs a cultie mindset?  Freedom!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Upvote 2

Thanks for sharing all that Twinky !

I think you’re doing a wonderful thing - in my opinion that’s the real spirit of Christianity!

I like how you’re connected to some security resources - I’ve been involved in many different aspects of security for most of my adult life and have found a very helpful thing to crime prevention and establishing a safe and secure environment is the obvious presence of concerned citizens...and it’s a definite plus when there’s folks like street pastors who really care and are not afraid to handle messy situations.

• Upvote 1

On 4/27/2018 at 8:17 PM, Grace Valerie Claire said:
  On 4/27/2018 at 5:01 PM, Taxidev said:

Grace, DWBH, and T-Bone,

I just sent your correspondence as three attachments with my own introduction in the body of the email.  It might take a while for any responses.  It went to twelve couples.  I just realized I didn't ask them to forward it to anyone that was missing from the list - I know of one in particular.  Sorry.

I also invited them here to engage with all of you directly.  Like JayDee said, I'm not holding my breath.

Hope you’re having a peaceful Sunday evening, Taxidev. Any response from the “titled couples” yet?

47 minutes ago, DontWorryBeHappy said:

Hope you’re having a peaceful Sunday evening, Taxidev. Any response from the “titled couples” yet?

Taxi, I personally would be shocked if you received any meaningful correspondence from them.  I suspect any information you receive, would be Donkey Dung, but they might send you a "Hi Taxi," letter, like they sent DWBH.  But, they might surprise us all, and send you some interesting information.:asdf:

20 minutes ago, Grace Valerie Claire said:

Taxi, I personally would be shocked if you received any meaningful correspondence from them.  I suspect any information you receive, would be Donkey Dung, but they might send you a "Hi Taxi," letter, like they sent DWBH.  But, they might surprise us all, and send you some interesting information.:asdf:

meaningful response ?

that would be inconceivable

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, DontWorryBeHappy said:

Any response from the “titled couples” yet?

2 hours ago, T-Bone said:

meaningful response ?

that would be inconceivable

2 hours ago, Grace Valerie Claire said:

I personally would be shocked if you received any meaningful correspondence from them.

So far, I only received a reply from one recipient, asking who I was.  I replied, "I am an anonymous intermediary.  I am unimportant."

Nothing more.

But I did notice the next day - which would be yesterday - there were several guests looking at this particular topic.

Edited by Taxidev
Added info
  • Upvote 1

Hey Taxidev!

Any News yet from those great “titled” (or is it “self-entitled”?) mogs and mogettes over there at Removal and Relocation? Or, is it still a hot, sweaty, night of frogs and crickets out there in OH? Inquiring minds would like to know. Thanks! Are you still “allowed” to talk about GSC without getting “marked and avoided”?

Edited by DontWorryBeHappy
Sp

7 hours ago, DontWorryBeHappy said:

Are you still “allowed” to talk about GSC without getting “marked and avoided”?

That's funny.  I sent those posts to them anonymously, so I won't be marked and avoided.  I'm kidding, of course.  I have two very good reasons for doing that, but I am unwilling to share what those are.

But now, after receiving no response at all regarding the issues raised about them, I'm getting a sour taste in my mouth.

On top of that, I was reading through the "Revival and Restoration" section a couple days ago, from the beginning of it, and I was actually stunned to find they already had their domain name registered when they did that first live broadcast on facebook, saying they wanted to revive and restore TWI and they didn't know yet what they would be doing in the future.  This added some additional sourness.

Edited by Taxidev
Spelling
  • Like 1

Thanks for the info, Taxidev. I do hope your authentic curiosity and desire to know FACTS about all of this mishigas does not get you in trouble with your friends. Hopefully, it will help to show you who some of your true friends are? Guess we’ll find out. Thanks again for the update...........peace.

16 hours ago, Taxidev said:

That's funny.  I sent those posts to them anonymously, so I won't be marked and avoided.  I'm kidding, of course.  I have two very good reasons for doing that, but I am unwilling to share what those are.

But now, after receiving no response at all regarding the issues raised about them, I'm getting a sour taste in my mouth.

On top of that, I was reading through the "Revival and Restoration" section a couple days ago, from the beginning of it, and I was actually stunned to find they already had their domain name registered when they did that first live broadcast on facebook, saying they wanted to revive and restore TWI and they didn't know yet what they would be doing in the future.  This added some additional sourness.

One poster mentioned a discussion 2 years before the ANNOUNCED split about plans for a split.  For us regulars, this really comes as no shock.  The whole "we don't know where this will go" thing was mere posturing. They were already out the door when they made their first announcement and broadcast and stuff.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, WordWolf said:

The whole "we don't know where this will go" thing was mere posturing.

yeah, kinda like how the "we don't need or want your money" is merely a part of the salesmanship gig.  neither comes into play until you gets a little "warmed up" to the idea...

25 minutes ago, TLC said:

yeah, kinda like how the "we don't need or want your money" is merely a part of the salesmanship gig.  neither comes into play until you gets a little "warmed up" to the idea...

They won't see any of mine.  There's no reason for me to send them any.  I have finally come to an understanding of where and how to give, whether it's money, time, talent or whatever.  It doesn't go, primarily, to any religious organization.  Rather, it is to go to people or groups near me that have need.  That's what actually happened in Acts with the early church, and that's how I am conducting my affairs.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, TLC said:

Hey, it worked for wierwille....very successfully, in fact.  

"Always be sincere, even if you don't mean it."- Benny Hill.

For the record, vpw's explanation of "sincerity" often contradicted with the dictionary one. The one he used in pfal did not. The one he used other times did. "The brush salesman who tries to sell you a brush with only one bristle has GOT to be sincere."  No, unless he's hallucinating, he KNOWS the thing doesn't work. He has to FAKE sincerity. Since vpw seemed to claim that FAKING sincerity and BEING sincere were one and the same, it really should come as no shock that he faked his sincerity for the cameras and recordings all the time.It's internally-consistent.

22 hours ago, Taxidev said:

They won't see any of mine.  There's no reason for me to send them any.  I have finally come to an understanding of where and how to give, whether it's money, time, talent or whatever.  It doesn't go, primarily, to any religious organization.  Rather, it is to go to people or groups near me that have need.  That's what actually happened in Acts with the early church, and that's how I am conducting my affairs.

Oooo. That may be how they did it in Acts (sure looks like it from reading Acts), but these modern self-proclaimed repeaters of what was done in Acts won't like it one bit....

The Way liked to represent itself as replicating a lifestyle from the book of Acts. This is delusional. It's a bit like believing that when you have that General Tso's  chicken at the local Chinese restaurant you are eating something that is typically consumed in China.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, waysider said:

The Way liked to represent itself as replicating a lifestyle from the book of Acts.

There's nothing they do that replicates that lifestyle.  In fact, many things they do run exactly contrary to it.

• Like 1