GreaseSpot Cafe

First Annual Southern Comfort Weenie Roast

Greetings Oh Fair and Noble Greasespotters!!

It is my pleasure to announce a gathering of Greasespotters (of all things) this October 5th.

It will be held at the Harrison Bay State Park in the majestic yet subdued Smokey Mountains, pert close to Chattanooga and its aquarium. There is a lake, hiking trails tent sites and hotels nearby. Gatlingburg is just over the hill a bit and Cherokee NC with its sinful gambling dens and seamy night life is only a 3 hr. drive away.

My thoughts are...

Show up when you want to, folks be getting there on friday stand a better chance of getting a tent spot ifn thats yer bag. There are reasonably priced hotels in the area and also 24 cabins in a group cabin area in the park itself. I;ve not checked if it was open or not but if someone wants to look into it they can and let us know, I'm not sure how many will be in fer the day but if there's enough interest then it might be a plan too.

Other n that, just come n hang out, meet some folks you know and others you don't, might be fun.

Mike

[This message was edited by herb on August 03, 2002 at 11:46.]

[This message was edited by herb on August 03, 2002 at 18:27.]

Hey ya know, it might be nice to have a few things planned for the day (or at least one of my cohorts thinks so...), so in light of that, I'd like to give a breakdown of the days events.

Friday, folks will be at the park by mid afternoon. At least two are camping and the tent sites will be listed under southern greasespotters reunion, drop by when you'd like to. I imagine that most folks will be in hotels as we are now approaching the age our parents were when we realised they were OLD

On Saturday there will be a bring your own lunch fixings gig at the tent site at 12 with ample time to hang out with folks and enjoy the parks facilities. Then around dusk we can fire up the grills and have a bonafide cook-out. We can each chip in a few bucks and someone can go get burger fixings n such.

Later that evening, as the food makes us feel all warm n fuzzy we can break out the guitars, kazoos, flutes and bagpipes n hang out fer a bit. At 9 we will listen to the latest sunday night service tape after which we will compare our margin notewriting skills and pick lint out of our belly buttons with toothpicks.

Thats about it as far as I can tell, just come have a good time and play nice. Remember this is a state park no guns no booze no drugs and no peeing on yer neighbors tent.

I mean that!!

Last Rock...never mind, I'll tell it Saturday night

Mike

[This message was edited by herb on August 03, 2002 at 18:23.]

Mikey,

Count me in. I'm pretty sure I'll be able to make it, too! And no tenting for this guy.. I'll get a motel room. If you guys want to grill burgers, that's fine but I'll be bringing some steaks.

You know.. we could work a deal. I'd be happy to bring extra big juicy steaks to share with anyone wanting to share their appetizers and grilled veggies. I was also planning on bringing some brewski's but seeing as it is a state park.. that would probably be frowned upon. Best I bring a gallon or two of Bloody Mary's already mixed in the cooler, huh?

sudo

Sudo,

I think a couple of folks were hoping you'd bring the laughing gas. Don;t bring yer dental tool kit or assistant (unless she's cute)

just the gas

Mikey,

I'm hoping we'll get a decent turnout. How many folks you think will come? Doesn't really matter as I'll be there even if it's just you, me, AHAT, Rascal and Pirate. I'll be tickled pink to see you guys! Of course, you know I've already met AHAT face to face but I'm really looking forward to making everybody else's acquaintance and seeing AHAT again!

Sorry.. no laughing gas. The Bloody Mary's will have to do but I make 'em pretty potent!

sudo

Sudo,

Those Bloody Marys sound like they'll be plenty potent enough

So far, I;ve gotten a couple of folks who haven't posted saying they'll be there and a couple more who said they'd like to come pending minor obsticles such as jobs money etc. I think right now there are about 15 or so who've said they'd either like to come will come or will if they are not elected president and or win the lotto in which case we'll hold the reunion at their house!!

But you are right, it would be nice to get a confirmation of who's planning and/or thinking of coming so we sorta know what to expect. I'm in and out of chat a good bit and so are some others. If yer having difficulty logging into chat go to page 2 of the open forums find beseen strikes again and follow the indtructions there.

Thanks Sudo, I'll bring up some salad fixings like tomatos and ebbe some late corn ifn we have any and whatever I can get my hands on that looks good.

Good food, Good fellowship Good times!!

Mike G

Greetings Once Again 'O Fair and Noble G'spotters!

It has come to my attention that a more suitable location for our get together may exist. Tims Ford State Park near Manchester Tn. has 2 bdrm cabins for $115 a night. Manchester is just north of Chattanooga and the park is located on the water as are the cabins, me thinks...

Does a change of venue hamper anyones ability to attend?

I'll be around in chat as will my other co-conspirators so if this is suitable (or not) let one of us know.

Mike

Mike,

Re:"Does a change of venue hamper anyones ability to attend?"

No problem with me. It's actually a little closer and I see the cabins have refigerators. I was wondering where I was going to store the gallon bottles of Bloody Mary's.

sudo

Greetings Oh Fair and Noble Greasespotters!!

As of today, 8/14/02, there are 3 cabins left at Timsford State Park. These cabins rent for $115 a night and include a fridge dishes linens etc. These are lakeside and have an outdoor grill but no firepit. At this writing, two of us have reserved cabins which can sleep 8 reletively comfortably ie sleeping bags on the floor...If you'd like to reserve bed or floor space please let us know so we can divey up the remaining space, or...get yer own cabin or plan on coming early on friday n getting a camping spot

The tent areas are let out on a first come first served basis with early Friday afternoon being the bestest time to assure a space these sites have firepits and grills so I reckon later in the evening someone is gonna have alot of visitors drop by fer the weenie roast

Plan appropriately fer the weather, it gets pert cool in them thar mountains come fall.

Mike G

• 3 weeks later...

quote:
Originally posted by Wacky Funster:

Well, I'd fer sure be there, but...alas...I'll be out of the country.:(

I hope y'all have a blast of a time...

I'll be in Asheville, NC next week (9/11 til 9/17) if anyone's interested in going for a hike with me

Peace

maybe, I got a guitar player friend that lived there for years and would love to visit again....e-mail me

as far as the Southern Comfort ...like the name...hate the liquor.....Marguerito!...come here BOY...LOL..10/5 ..it's far enough away...i'd like to.....let's see

to quote Perry Ferrell:

"...and I'm going 'bout my business...and I'm wonderin' what I'm missin'.."

As the great, and mighty Herbal knows - I'm gonna be there (at the First Annual Greasespot Southern Comfort Weenie Roast- or GSCWR fer short), not with kids, but my companion, Xena (who is a sweet cocker spaniel).

If I'm up to date on the developments so far;

Herbal has volunteered to be the GSCWR Pick-aSpot and Advertise-It Coordinator,

Sudo has volunteered to be the GSCWR Supply Officer (for Bloody Mary's...and mebbee more)

Rascal is the Tent Authority and will supply the kiddos,

...so, I'm, thinking along the lines of what I kin do in the Food department (no, I'm NOT gonna supply food for 3 days for everybuddy - just a dish for one meal together, mebee). I got iders (along the lines of plant stuff, i.e.veges).

Positions Still Open:

* TP Folder (experience in making precise paper points is a plus)

* Entertainment Coordinator (no Singing Ladies CD's allowed, please)

* Campfire Builder

* Marshmallow Distributor

* Kazoo Conductor

No applications necessary, just show up and don't expect a salary.

Tim's Ford State Park should be really beautiful in Oct - maybe the colors will be changing. If you need the link for info, here tis-

http://www.state.tn.us/environment/parks/timsford/index.html

Call the free 800 number now! to reserve your cabin!

[This message was edited by Ttessa on September 04, 2002 at 23:04.]

[This message was edited by Ttessa on September 04, 2002 at 23:08.]

Mike,

Kudos to you for undertaking this! Seems like there will be enough people that we could split up what everybody brings. For instance, Ttessa says she could bring veggies. Maybe someone else could volunteer for soft drinks, ice and napkins. I could bring hot dogs, hamburger meat and some steaks but dang if I can have steaks for 20 people!

Guess we need a head count, huh? Maybe the final preparations should be done with e-mail. Just a suggestion. This is your gig after all. I'll be happy to follow your lead.

sudo