GreaseSpot Cafe

September 11, 2002

We have a thread asking where we were that particular day, I wonder if you got to see what I saw today.

I did not intend to watch all day...I just intended to watch the beginning of the ceremony until I heard Brett Bailey's name...and then go on about my business.

Since I m retired, I had the luxury of being able to linger over a second cup of coffee and watch. In fact, I stayed all day.

Presently, they have just lit the eternal flame at Battery Park.

This has been a remarkable day for me. This one day the media did something right! They covered the events, and captured the mood. Of course it helps that no individuals were trying to sell their wares or publicize their causes.

I think it was important for me to watch today. I live a bit less than 9 miles from ground zero (as the crow flies) and I believe there are other GS'ers who also live nearby. I learned much. The media should be commended for telling this story.

Of course much was said about NYC Police and Firefighters, as it should have?.but also stories of your average type folks - survivors ? and how they coped. Everything was done in such good taste

I have great admiration for these people. I?m speechless at the strength of so many.

I also have great admiration for Mrs. Bush. She walked down a huge ramp into the memorial area along side her husband, stood during a brief ceremony, and then spent a total of almost 2 hours paying respects to survivors there. I expect her to be the Executive Wife, but the lady was in heels!

I?m proud to be an American. I always have been; I?ll never really be over this, but today I rounded a corner in my own healing. I hope others gained some of this too!

Where were you today?

quote:
I?m proud to be an American. I always have been; I?ll never really be over this, but today I rounded a corner in my own healing. I hope others gained some of this too!

((((((Kris))) me too. I said the same thing on another thread, but it seems lost there for some reason. So glad you said it here.

BTW, You have always shown me kindness, ever since my very first post in GS. I want to thank you for that and I want to tell you that you hold a special place in my heart. I just thought I would let you know dear pretty butterfly.