GreaseSpot Cafe

How will you spend Sept 11?

This was a hard question for me.

First a little background.....

We have 2 girls 8 & 11 who were home 9/11 and were very aware as to what was happening that day.

I've spent a ton on time in NYC...my bestfriend lives there..so it felt very personal to me also.

I guess my biggest concern is that it will be swept under the rug for our children, not because adults want to hide it but because of the absolute horror of it. Being of the generation that are the grandchildren of WW2 I feel that that war had become nothing more than a *John Wayne Movie* to many of my peers, and I just don't want that to happen to my girls.

As I explained to them, they KNOW that crossing the street is a dangerous thing (at least I've told them often enough ) and I do not want them to be afraid of it...just careful..The same is true now of the reality of 9/11...do not be afraid just careful.

So...how to mark 9/11 this year and keep it in perspective?

We're going to go to a memorial service at our State Capital. For us it felt the best way to honor the day.

not commercializing or jingoizing the ever-living BeJeezus out of 9/11. (Tho' something tells me that thats what is going to happen anyway, if it hasn't been happening to begin with )

Ie., remembering it and honoring it with something more *indepth* and with something that makes one think about what its all about and what we can do to overcome travesties like that.

A real challenge for our rather shallow culture.

Prophet Emeritus of THE,

and Wandering CyberUU Hippie,

Garth P.

Unless there are some new attacks or something, I'm going to ignore the TV, the newspaper, the radio, and commercial websites. The way so many are trying to profit or push a political agenda spits in the face of the memory of all those who were murdered on September 11th.

Had al Qaeda went on suicide bombings in the headquarters of CNN, Fox, ABC, CBS, etc. instead of murdering innocents I believe September 11th would have been a holiday instead of the anniversary of a tragedy.

This September 11?

I will be at work, like I was last year.

I will remember those whom I had worked with at the Pentagon.

I am sure that all in my office will have a ?moment of silence? for those who were murdered on that terrible day (this will be an individule thing, at our desks, at the time of our choosing.

Some in my office will go to memorials at the Post Chapel on Fort Huachuca.

I will not allow the terrorists to succeed in my life by making me afraid to enjoy the Freedom and the Liberty that we all have.

So far those jerks at CNN have been playing recordings of people's messages to their families right before the towers collapsed on them. I guess I'll have to take my leave of that kind of crap a little early.

I don't know which is worse; the playing personal information in order to boost ratings, or the "Britney Spears 9/11 Celebration" type concerts that are going to go on. It's all disgusting to me and I think they all need to F*** off and stop tearing off our country's scabs to make themselves rich.