GreaseSpot Cafe

the month of May is Military Appreciation Month

http://www.aafes.com/docs/homefront.htm - for gifts to military on duty, and their families

http://www.nmam.org/participate.htm - what it's all about & what you can do

-------------------------------------------

May Is National Military Appreciation Month

Air Force Print News reports that organizers for National Military Appreciation Month are asking Americans to show their appreciation for the military by displaying the American flag and the POW/MIA flag May 1 through Flag Day on June 14. In 1999, a resolution was passed in Congress proclaiming May as National Military Appreciation Month. The month remembers those who gave their lives in defense of the nation's freedom and honors those Americans who have served their country, and the men and women now serving in uniform on active duty, in the National Guard and Reserve and all of their families. More than 80 million Americans have served in uniform in more than 225 years of American history. May includes Loyalty Day (May 1), VE Day (May 8), Military Spouse Day (May 9), Armed Forces Day (May 17) and Memorial Day (May 30). Event organizers are asking all Americans to remember, honor and appreciate the military by displaying U.S. flags and yellow ribbons on cars, homes, businesses and in classrooms.

Cool.

We send a box of Grocery store coupons overseas each month. The commissarys except them for 6 months beyond their expiration dates. To our knowledge every base has an FSC (family service center) where the familys that are having a hard time with things, can go and sort through boxes of coupons. We send our to US Naval Support Activity in Naples Italy.

We have posted this previously, but it does help. All services are combined on one group of bases in Naples (Army, Air Farce, Navy, and Marines), with each service paying their members so differently, sometimes there are needs among the dependant families. While stationed there, my wife helped at FCS and taught other wives how to shop on the Italian economy.

I have been recently blasted for using too many 'generalities'. Allow me to say, some of us (like the Navy) would get extra pays for other things (like BAQ, BAS, Sub, Consub, Sea, FSP), whereas other services by policy dont pay those extra pays. Similairly could be said concerning Federal Tax exemption: During each 'conflicts theater' the tax-free zone comes and goes. Each service has different policys concerning tax-free zones as well. While I was tax-free starting in 1983 and ending in 2001. I know the Air Farce only allowed their people to become tax-free, when they were armed.

In either case, please do whatever you can. But dont forget the full-time military that has been serving us all for years.

ET1 SS

Galen

USN Retired and University of Life Alumni

Bless you