GreaseSpot Cafe

TWI/MUSIC/"WAY PROD EARLY DAYS"/THE BEAT GOES ON/ETC.....

ChattyKathy

Friday night bedtime CD: Secret Treaties by Blue Oyster Cult.

I only got to see BOC once, at Nassau Coliseum on Long island. It was during their Godzilla tour. Seems like they opened for Rush, not sure.

I always loved when all the band members (even the drummer and keyboardist) would line up and jam on guitars during Cities Aflame with Rock and Roll.

Oakspear icon_cool.gif

...goin' down to Rosedale, got my rider by my side...and I'm standin' at the crossroads...

[This message was edited by Oakspear on January 19, 2003 at 19:31.]

• Replies 832
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Prochaine:

Since I have retired from the Mike Wars I have more time to drop in on this fun thread.

I don't play an instrument or sing (and you can all thank God for that) and I don't know too much about early Way Productions like Hope or socks or Ted F, and cannot add too much in the musical history category...so Tom's bedtime Cd Pick is the best I can do right now icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

Lincoln, Nebraska, as small as it is, and as off the beaten path as it is, is a major stopover for national blues acts. Some even end up settling down here when they retire (or semi-retire). We had a great blues-jazz open stage a few blocks from where I live that closed down due to financial disagreements a few months ago. They will be starting up again Monday night. So I know where I'll be Mondays! It helps that I have Tuesdays off icon_wink.gif;)-->

Oakspear icon_cool.gif

...goin' down to Rosedale, got my rider by my side...and I'm standin' at the crossroads...

Hey Oakspear;

Never got the chance to meet ya and say hi. I have always enjoyed your honest up front posts on other threads.

Lincoln NE is a good town and for awhile I booked jobs out of an agency there. The last road trip I did was in a hotel lounge up the road a ways from ya! Omaha is a pretty good town too but I like Lincoln better.

Not only blues men and women settle down in Lincoln but jazz players as well.

Hope you have a fun time here at Kathy's Club, it's an easy laid back hangout for a lot of us.

Take care my friend

Ted F.

Ted:

If you ever in the neighborhood, email me and we'll do lunch! Omaha is cool, but doesn't seem to have the depth of local talent that Lincoln does.

Ever hear of Magic Slim? He lives here and is part of the house band for the Open Stage on Monday nights.

Tom's Bedtime CD Pick: Velvet Underground: White Light, White Heat.

The Velvets sound pretty crude and under-produced looking back over the decades, but they definitely took music in some new directions. They were precursers to punk, and in some respects to rap as well.

Lou Reed continues to be one of my favorite singers: love that deadpan almost monotone delivery.

Oakspear icon_cool.gif

"We...know how cruel the truth often is, and we wonder whether delusion is not more consoling"

Henri Poincare

[This message was edited by Oakspear on January 19, 2003 at 19:28.]

Hi ya!

Well, last night, little A la went out to the local folk club for the first time. I have lived in this town for 12 years and I have never sought out this place! What a freghen Way brain I have been!!! icon_confused.gif:confused:-->

It was great. This individual got up and played about 5 different instruments and sang. His repetoire included Woodie Guthrie to gospel to blues. He was a master! He is local but has been performing and teaching for 30 years.

He played and sang "I'll Fly Away" and played 'Ste. Anne's Reel" on this mandolin/guitar sorta' instrument. His fingers moved at about a million miles an hour! His voice was very similar to Gordon Lightfoot's when he sang the balladeering type tunes.

If it hadn't been for this thread, I know I would have never gone out. This thread has brought out so much of the desire and passion I have had for music locked-up in my mental closet for so many years.

I recently told someone I was IMing with that I remember asking God to take the passion I had for music away from me, since I thought it was a distraction and kept me from getting into the word.

Since the way corps were not allowed any secular music for the first 4 months of their in-rez training, I figured music was a 'bad' thing and that is why we should control it's influence on us at all times.

Thank you Chatty for your inspired Thread!

It Rocks!!!! icon_cool.gif

-----------------------------

Ok, I'm listening to Van Morrison right now, "Ain't no Sunshine" oooooooooooooohhhhhhh, How Sweet it is!

'til the next time...

hehe, my college junior kid was digging through some old vinyl 33s I have and he dug out some Simon and Garfunkle, Joan Baez etc and stretched out on the couch to rest. After several trips to flip the records, he turns to me and asks:

"How on earth did you ever get to fall asleep to music when you were a kid? I no sooner get my eyes closed and I have to go change the record!"

I laughed and said there was always radio.

Ted, thanks for driving yourself Mardelle and Claudette to Peoria, IL in 73 or 74 for the first statewide Illinois event. We were so glad you accepted our invite.

Loveya, HAPe4me

HAPe4me, your account of your son asking how you ever got any sleep is fun. It brings back memories of how modern we thought we were becoming when each new music playing device was introduced. I remember thinking 8 tracks were "out of sight". Heck it took up most of your dash board and ya had to carry a dadgum box in the back seat to carry your 8 tracks in. icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

A la prochaine, I read your words earlier but could not respond then. Girl if only ya knew how they ministered to me, if ya only knew.

Kathy

Alright...tonight Tom's Bedtime CD Pick is actually a cassette tape...Birds of Fire by Mahavishnu Orchestra.

John "Mahavishnu" McLaughlin was the guitarist and principal composer for "the orchestra". Birds of Fire came out in 1973, at the height of Jazz-Rock Fusion (or simply "fusion") era, which included other incredible groups such as Return to Forever and Weather Report.

In 1980 I got to see John McLaughlin live at a cozy venue in Manhatten called My Father's Place. Amelia L, a woman in my twig worked for Columbia Records and scored some tickets (Amelia are you a GSer? Remember that Billy Falcon show we went to before he took PFAL?)

The opening acts was Ravi Shankar!!!!!, and John played acoustic guitar, accompanied by another guitarist that I didn't recognize. It was probably one of the best concerts I ever saw.

Oakspear icon_cool.gif

"We...know how cruel the truth often is, and we wonder whether delusion is not more consoling"

Henri Poincare

Hey Oaks! John Mc is a great guitarist. That's cool, and he has done some incredible music. I remember his "Johnnie McLaughlin-electric guitarist" he did that had some incredible playing on it.

There's a group I haven't heard come up yet, maybe so, not sure. "King's X"...Ty Tabor is the guitarist, great rock player. The bassist uses an 8 string bass, each string doubled and it makes an awesome sound. Rattles your teeth! icon_smile.gif:)--> Has a piano like sound on some stuff.

Been taping some albums lately and found my old Jimmy Reed Anthology album, on Vee Jay. They put all his hits on it through the 50's and early 60's, and each song has an interviewer asking him about the song and Reed tells the story behind it. Awesome album. Reed lived his last years in Oakland, California my home town. Great blues songwriter and player. Wrote a lot of his stuff with his wife, Mary ("Mama") Reed.

Another piece I picked up on recently is Michael Hedges "If I Needed Someone", his instrumental version of the Beatles song. MAN! That song is deep the way he does it. It just floats along almost timeless. It's really beautiful.

well....to bed...catch you all later!

[This message was edited by socks on January 20, 2003 at 1:37.]

John McLaughlin/Mahvishnu Orchestra. Oh man. I saw him live once down at American University in DC. He was really good, but since I was tripping my brains out on LSD, it was kind of confusing to listen to.

And Ala P, who in the world is Gordon Lightfoot?

Buck,

Who is Gordon Lightfoot?

He was mentioned here earlier on this thread. He is a Canadian Folk Singer who started in the early 60's. A true balladeer. His voice in the early days was smooth and rich and the guitar work was awesome.

If You Could Read my Mind and The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald were hits he had. You may have heard of these. But, to tell you the truth, I am not fussy on those tunes. It's his more remote stuff that I appreciate.

Songs such as ***** Willow, Cattails, In the early Morning Rain, Steel Rail Blues, Cotton Jenny, Love and Maple Syrup, Summerside of Life, Boss Man, Pony Man, Did She Mention my Name are just a few of my favourites.

Thanks for asking! icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

'til the next time...

I love St Annes Reel and you realy know your Gordon Lightfoot. Wouldn't it be nice to catch him at some outatheway club? Is he still alive? He was so cool.

Have you ever heard of Aselin Debison? She's from Cape Breton, a young kid maybe 12 years old. I saw her on PBS in December.

I spent a summer on Cape Breton when I was a teenager. They are really into music out there.

hopper

Hoppie! icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

So nice to see you here on my all time favourite thread!

Yes, Ste. Anne's Reel is a fav. of mine. My mom plays it on her mandolin and I accompany her on the guitar.

Gordon Lightfoot is alive and well. I was on Google this morning and saw that he is still touring. And, as far as I know he has done a 7 day in a row concert at Massey Hall in Toronto Ontario Canada every spring for the past 30 years. Yes, to see him in a small out of the way pub would be a dream.

Aselin Debison I do not know, but I'm sure he is fantastic. Do you know of Natalie McMaster from Cape Breton and the Rankins are from Maboo Cape Breton.

There is so much music there it's wild!

About 3 summers ago Keynote, me and the family went there. HOLY CRAPOLA! We were in Baddeck Nova Scotia and we had just finished eating, strolling down the street and I heard this great fiddling music. We walked into this little community hall. There was this fiddler sitting in the corner, and people were dancing. It was a ceiligh! I was home!!!

And that place, like the Highlands of Scotland!

Absolutely beautiful.

Cape Bretonner's have been able to keep their music (which was originally settled by Scottish and Irish Immigrants) due to their isolation. I have read articles where fiddlers from Scotland/Ireland go to Cape Breton to study their music they have lost.

Don't get me going, I could babble on for hours...

'til the next time...

Ala P,I confess. I was sorta baiting you. I love Gordon Lightfoot. I think my most favoritest song of all is the "Canadian Railroad Trilogy" which just plain makes me tearful and awestruck by the men and women who came before us on this Conitinent.

When I said "Who is Gordon Lightfoot?" I was kinda pulling your chain because I have heard from some Canadians that the song "Canadian Railroad Trilogy" is the "un-official national anthem" of the country of Canada, and that Gordon Lightfoot is a National Treasure to the people of Canada. This was explained to me in a drunken conversation in White Horse, the capitol of the Yukon Territory in Canada when I went up to take part in the festivities at the start of the Yukon Quest, the most brutal of sled dog races a few years ago. I have to say that I agreed with my slurring conversational companero, in that I had always loved Gordon Lightfoot's music. He had challenged me to a "Molson beer drinking contest" you see, to "honor our two countries", so, while we had been "competing" we talked of many things. Who won the contest? well, I had a hell of a hangover the next morning fore shore!

I have copies of "Gord's Gold I and II. And love them....

Buck

p.s.

I know you know that Whitehorse is the capitol city of the Yukon, but I thought that other readers might not know. And, did you know that I spent one uproarious evening in Chateau Frontenac In Quebec City when I was but sixteen? My first ship, the one I mentioned earlier, was anchored in the St Lawrence for a few days before we headed to Europe, and I made sure to go to town. All of those lovely French girls.... I couldn't understand a word they said, but that was way ok. We had fun communicating anyway.... icon_smile.gif:)-->

Yall are delightful reading this morning. I love Gordon Lightfoot as well. He was like some of our 60's songsters in that many of his songs where stories with much meaning to them.

On a different style of music. When I went thru my period of turning off country music part of the reason I did was cause I thought they contained too much real life ups and downs. Now as an adult (well I am still dragging my feat against that one icon_biggrin.gif:D--> ), I love the lyrics of country music. It is like plain on talking about life.

Morning to ya,

Kathy

Missed the bedtime pick last night, so we'll go with Tom's Breakfast CD Pick this morning:

Deluxe Edition, a compilation of music by Roy Buchanan.

Roy was a guitar genius and was known in the 70's as "The World's Greatest Unknown Guitarist". He mostly played blues, but did a mix of fast instrumentals, as well as some fine R&B with stalwarts such as Steve Cropper and "Duck" Dunn.

When I was a blues deejay here in Lincoln I used Buchanan's Peter Gunn Theme as intro music to my show, Shades of Blue, and played some Buchanan every week.

Oakspear icon_cool.gif

Henri Poincare

Oaks, I hope ya know I'm a major Roy B fan. Do you like "The Messiah Will Come Again" with that organ intro?...killer tune. That Peter Gunn version is great. My favs of his vary but I really like "5 String Blues" with the crying sound he gets at the end (gives me goose bumps even still) and "Johns Blues". I read in an autobio that he broke a string in the studio at the end of "5 String" (thus the title) and never stopped playing, and you can't hear it happen. I've listened to where it sounds like it COULD have happened, but man, he was in another WORLD at the end of that tune so I guess it didn't matter to him anyway. icon_smile.gif:)-->

Say Tele, and you've said ROY!

I won't start a debate, (or maybe I will!) but Danny Gatton, who's been compared to him often, was never quite up to par. He was also billed as..."The Worlds Best Unknown Guitarist" on occasion.

Roy had that funky 4-flat-tires-on-a-muddy-road blues sound that was so natural it just flowed.

-----------------------------

quack

Got a minute, take an hour! icon_smile.gif:)--> Hey, A la, it's rainin' like the dickens here, whatever that is. Just let up a bit ago. How's the no'thern country?

Here's a cool lyric from Keb Mo. This guy sounds like he's "been there/done that". Neat tune for the GS lunch rush... icon_smile.gif:)-->

-----

I'm Telling You Now

So much has went unspoken

Along the way

Hearts have healed

And hearts have broken

In the pain of yesterday

Gone are the shadows

They vanished in the Light

Let your heart surrender

Let your soul take flight

(Chorus)