GreaseSpot Cafe

Has GreaseSpot finally gone downhill?

Zixar

Some friends here have remarked to me that GreaseSpot has really gone downhill lately, and I'm hard pressed to disagree. 90% of everything posted recently has been either

a) political grandstanding,

b) religious acrimony,

c) joke threads, or

d) birthday announcements.

So what do you think? Is it all just par for the course? Or is GreaseSpot finally on the way out?

All references to shark-jumping have been removed, since too many people seem to get hung up on the phrase.

Edited by Zixar

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Web boards change and metamorhize continually. This board is a living and growing entity and it appears to be THRIVING!!

Ultimately the board owner determines all things. Which direction it takes depends on him. Experience at other sites demonstrates this is so.

What does "jumping the shark" mean?

Anyway -- I voted for maybe. Someone, somewhere in one of these threads said something to the effect of -- "Things go in circles here."

I tend to agree, tho I hate to admit we have only one oar in the water !!

quote:
Jumping the Shark is from an episode on the "Happy Days" T.V. show when Fonzie was on waterskis and jumped over sharks.

LMatters -- I don't watch tv, and never saw "Happy Days". Thanks for the explanation, though, it made sense, and now I think I know (a bit) about what Zix was/is saying.

I do know the name "Fonzie", though. icon_wink.gif;)-->

quote:
Originally posted by lovematters:

Jumping the Shark is from an episode on the "Happy Days" T.V. show when Fonzie was on waterskis and jumped over sharks.

Fans said the show was never the same again.

The show "jumped the shark."

Just to elaborate,

Fonzie, until then, was shown to ride motorcycles, but when did he EVER learn to

waterski at ALL?

It's when a show adds things that produce the comment "WTF?"

Other moments that have produced similar responses include bringing in a cute

kid to try to extend the life of a show. ("Cousin Oliver", anyone?)

The G'spot is a quirky community mostly cause it's made op of many individuals who come into (and out of) it's little corner of the universe who have learned one simple rule: to play well with others (to the best of our ability if the situation warrents it icon_biggrin.gif:D--> and the gawds be smiling favorable like on the unfortuate target icon_eek.gif ).

Since it's content is not created nor led by one person or elite few (other than occasional moderation) it stands to reason that the flavor of the spot will change from time to time most especially so now since it's summer. I'm sure that the fact that the way doesn't appear to pose an imminent threat at this time nor is it generating any juicy gossip outside of pats legal wrangling has contributed significantly to the jovial atmosphere we are seeing.

Gawd life is good icon_wink.gif;)-->

Happy Happy Joy Joy

icon_eek.gif

Yes!

quote:
Our mission is to provide information that tells the other side of the story about The Way International and its trustees.

quote:
Our hope is that GreaseSpot Cafe serves as a place where those who have been impacted by The Way can make connections with people and information which will support their particular process of recovery.

Our mission is to provide information and our hope is that connections with people and information will support their process of recovery.

If you look at percentages, you will never get a clear picture. We can see all the friction and asst fights. We don't all see the lives that are being put back together post-TWI hopefully with some help from the info here.

"Jumped the shark" is a phrase used in a community that is constantly looking for something new and intriguing -- The young new star. I don't think that it can apply to a community. This community, hopefully, evolves. Different people with diverse stories, yet common elements. There aren't always going to be new episodes and new characters. Sometimes the familiar is good enough.

Remembering birthdays IS part of a community.

Arguing is one of the healthiest things we do here.

Take the "irritating" items and you have the ingredients to a return to the general population after living under a micro-managed cult. It ain't always pretty.

So YES we "jumped the shark". Hopefully we do it often.

Nice post pawtucket.

My opinion is that I tend to participate more in some of the threads that Zixar is complaining about, and I get annoyed as well. However, there are other subjects being discussed that I may not take a lot of interest in, particularly in the "About The Way" forum. Mostly, I don't have much to say about TWI now. I feel that I've mostly moved on past them, although there are still personality flaws I have based on being in them most of my life. I still read those threads once in a while, but not as much as others like the political section.

quote:
Originally posted by pawtucket:

Yes!

quote:
Our mission is to provide information that tells the other side of the story about The Way International and its trustees.

quote:
Our hope is that GreaseSpot Cafe serves as a place where those who have been impacted by The Way can make connections with people and information which will support their particular process of recovery.

Our mission is to provide information and our hope is that connections with people and information will support their process of recovery.

If you look at percentages, you will never get a clear picture. We can see all the friction and asst fights. We don't all see the lives that are being put back together post-TWI hopefully with some help from the info here.

That's just it, Paw. Mike is just as convinced he has some invisible audience for his PFAL idolatry. Doesn't mean it exists, either. No real way to tell unless those folks speak up.

"Jumped the shark" is a phrase used in a community that is constantly looking for something new and intriguing -- The young new star. I don't think that it can apply to a community. This community, hopefully, evolves. Different people with diverse stories, yet common elements. There aren't always going to be new episodes and new characters. Sometimes the familiar is good enough.

I've never heard that definition, and I don't know where you got it. I didn't think the question was that unclear, but I'll rephrase it. "Has GreaseSpot passed its peak and started the inevitable downhill slide?"

Remembering birthdays IS part of a community.

Never said it wasn't. It's just sad when there are so few "real-life" (non-controversy/non-joke) threads that most of what's left is just birthdays.

Arguing is one of the healthiest things we do here.

Too much of anything is not necessarily a good thing.

Take the "irritating" items and you have the ingredients to a return to the general population after living under a micro-managed cult. It ain't always pretty.

Nor is it always as therapeutic for some as we'd hope.

So YES we "jumped the shark". Hopefully we do it often.

That makes no sense. It has either passed its peak, or it has not.

I guess I missed the Peak.

I first read GSC back when it was on ez board, in 2000, I think, but I never posted or got to know people.

I'd pop in occasionally after that, maybe every couple of months.

As far as I can see, there was always plenty of arguing and flame wars going on. Kinda makes some of my wicca/pagan boards seem very sedate.

Zix - I for one get a lot of good out of GS - almost every day. I've made some great friends and feel that I'm making more here all the time.

When I have a need for prayer, I bring it here and get my need met.

When I have time to read in the political forums I learn stuff I'd never know otherwise.

I really enjoy the birthday threads, as there are folks who never get that kind of recognition elsewhere and it's fun.

I really enjoy the humorous threads and the camaraderie of the community in general.

I'm not sure exactly what you're looking for here and not finding, but it looks to me like you've had quite a bit of contention in recent months. Are you maybe feeling that GS has outlived its usefulness for you personally? I sure hope not, as you're one of the posters that has so much to contribute in a variety of areas. It'd be a shame if you gave up on us.

Seems to me paw gave a very respectful and clear response and you chopped it up as tho it's somehow your place to critique him. That seemed to me to be unnecessary and even inappropriate. My personal opinion of course, but I feel free to state my opinions here (in contrast to what looks to me like a word-by-word chopping up of the site administrator's post). I fully agree with each word paw posted.

PSSSSSHT...

Big difference between for profit, formula canned TV and grass roots live internet bulletin boards.

Greasespot hasn't "jumped" anything unless it becomes sterile and homogenized by censors, exclusivity and people who see themselves as having more of a "right" to be here than anyone else.

Since I have never seen an entire episode of Happy Days (I don't watch TV-am I un-American?), I can't buy into this shark jumping thing or see how it applies to GS.