GreaseSpot Cafe

Favorite Christmas Music

Ok, it's that time of year again, so I figured it's time for our annual Favorite Christmas Music Thread.

I have to say that Handel's Messiah is still #1 for me. After that, Andrea Bocceli's Panus Angelicus, and then Celine Dion's Ave Maria. (So I was raised Catholic....)

My favorite more contemporary song is Amy Grant's Breath of Heaven. Amazing song.

Anyone else?

Agreed; Breath of Heaven beautiful song.

I like the old traditional ones; silent night, jingle bells, I'll be home for christmas, etc.

Also love to giggle with my daughter when we get to listen to "grandma got run over by a reindeer" and "I saw mama kissing santa clause"

We wish you a merry christmas.

The Chaunnuka Song by Adam Sandler icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

If I had to pick an album it would be Manhattan Transfer's Christmas Album.

But I also like Da Yoopers for fun at Christmas

and Jone Prine for serious. Don't ask me why, I know its not Christmas music, but every Christmas I get a hankerin' for it.

To every man his own truth and his own God within.

Well lets see, It just aint Christmas unless I hear Burl Ives sing "Holly Jolly Christmas"

I just melt when I hear Andy Williams (The Emporer of easy listening sing "Happy Holidays" I love his Christmas specials too, especially with the Osmonds. They always show the reruns around Christmas.

I also had Christmas Carols with that "Tales of the Crypt" guy. That was hysterical. Someone stole it from me or borrowed it without returning it I think . Oh well.

OH! Nico just loves the "Barking Dogs" version of Jingle bells. She tilts her head back a

and forth and listens to it! She really does!

rotttiltheadmini1.gif?mtbrand=AOL_US

rottieangelanimated.gif

Cat spelled backwards does NOT spell God!

Neat! 's the 'olidays!

Well, I loaded the cd player just the other day.

-Nora Jones

-"Cool Yule, a Jazz Christmas", various artists

versions of Christmas standards.

-"Aaron Neville's Soulful Christmas", standards sung by The Voice. icon_smile.gif:)-->

-Mix CD-assorted Shawn Colvin (Fat City, Few Small Repairs) stuff, miscellaneous Beatles and James Taylor.

-Fiona Ritchie's NPR "Thistle and Shamrock" CD sampler of Celtic and Irish music.

-"Liquid Spank" ©, CD of stuff I've recorded last couple years.

In heavy rotation: Aaron Neville-The Grand Tour, Neville Brothers-"Live on Planet Earth", Johnny Mathis 5 CD compilation, "Venus Isle"-Eric Johnson, Reflections - Guitar, The Fender Guitar 50th Anniversary CD.

Its' so very far away, takes about a half a day to get there,

If we travel by my dragonfly....

(Jimi)

The Monster Mash - oops wrong holiday

Mannheim Steamroller- (playing here soon in KC)

Macarena Christmas Party- you gotta love it

Teddy The Red Nosed Senator

I Came Upon A Roadkill Deer(tune It came upon a midnight clear)

Didn't I Get This Last Year(tune do you see what I see)

Holidaze ( tune Purple Haze)

Sled Zeplin

All you Need Is Elves (Tune all you need is love)

Police stop my car (tune Feliz Navidad)

Here are a couple for Rottie and Dovey

Yellow Snow, Yellow Snow,Yellow Snow( tune let it snow)

Fleas On My Dog (tune feliz Navidad)

What Girl Is This? ( tune What child is this)

God Rest You Merry Discoman( tune God rest you merry gentlemen)

Silent Night Deadly Night

Grahbe Yahbalz( like Michael Jackson) tune deck the halls)

Buttcracker Suite

Hey Hey You YOU get off -a my house

All Time Favorite- Happy Household Holiday To You (Sung Off Key By The Way Word Over The World Chorus Choir) Brings Tears To My Eyes

Ahhhh Christmas I love It..... icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

Sorry T for disrupting your thread!

Without Coffee

I Would Have No Personality At All

Merry Christmas Mery Christmas Mery Christmas HO HO HO

[This message was edited by WhiteDove on December 07, 2003 at 18:39.]

I don?t care much for most non-religious Christmas songs, especially the ?cute? ones. One of my favorite songs of any type is ?O Holy Night.? ?Silent Night? is one of the most beautiful, peaceful songs ever penned. I like it best with one Soprano and simple accompaniment. ?Ave Maria? is another, but is best by a full choir and orchestra. I also like ?Angels We Have Heard On High? and ?Hark The Herald Angels Sing?, as well as several others.

One of the two greatest musical experiences of my life was a Midnight High Mass, with a wonderful choir, singing beautiful carols, preceding it. That was over 35 years ago, and my memories of it still move me.

I had to come back and add "Adeste Fideles" (Come All Ye Faithful, but it's not quite the same in English).

[This message was edited by Long Gone on December 08, 2003 at 15:22.]

Long Gone,

I agree with you on "Adeste Fideles." Also, the Ave Maria that Andrea Bocelli sings in Italian can't compare with the Latin version. icon_wink.gif;)-->

Mom mentioned the other day that she would like to attend Midnight Mass this year, even though we belong to a church of a different denomination. I want to take the kids, just because I think they need to experience it at least once, since it was such a big part of our family's Christmas Tradition for so many, many years. It is quite a moving experience.

My husband just told me that his favorite Christmas song is Nat King Cole's version of "The Christmas Song." I love to hear him play it on his alto sax. icon_smile.gif:)-->

Several years ago, Bill Moyers did a special that aired at Christmas time on the song "Amazing Grace," that was really touching. There was quite a bit of history in it about John Newton, the composer of the song. I've got the tape around here somewhere. I must dig it out.

And who could forget the old classic, .... Cheech and Chong's "Santa Claus And His Old Lady"

"Yeah man-n, I played with that dude!"

icon_cool.gif

My own secret sign-off ====v,

Rational logic cannot have blind faith as one of its foundations.

Prophet Emeritus of THE,

and Wandering CyberUU Hippie,

Garth P.

www.gapstudioweb.com

Sudo--I've heard "Christmas Shoes"....you're right...it's a tear jerker (this from the person who will cry at a hallmark commercial...LOL)

And my favorite Christmas music has to be the old stuff...Perry Como, Nat King Cole, Bing Crosby....this stuff is great.

My favorite "modern" stuff?? Has to be Manheim Steamroller....love it...the percussion and the innovation is quite amazing. Got to go see their Christmas tour this year...wonderful birthday present from hubby....it was a wonderful concert. Their version of "White Christmas" brought tears to my eyes (I DID tell you that I cry at Hallmark commercials, right??... icon_smile.gif:)-->)

My favorite was hearing my father sing O Holy Night and the Lords Prayer. He had the most beautiful Irish tener voice I'd ever heard. I still have an album with the Los Angeles Philharmonic choir and him singing those songs solo. He also did We three kings solo.

I love the nutcracker suite too

Dovey....proud owner of two low riders...Dovey's Doxies...... Dovey

I love almost any of the music surrounding Christmas, most of the songs are so...pure...(Iguess thats it) that any respectful arrangement is good..Im a sucker for acoustic guitar so staples for the last few years for me have been Christmas CD's by solo guitarists Harvey Reid and Ed Gerhard, but be they big choral and pipe organ arrangements or childrens groups singing-the songs and melodies themselves have lived this long for a reason, there is something about them that can touch something very primal within me....

I'll definitely be taking in a concert or two this season....