GreaseSpot Cafe

Be careful what you post here. It will show up in court!

Kit Sober

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sadie,

Please accept my apologies for my choice of verbs. I know that my criticism of twi would be more palatable (and perhaps more effective)had I had chosen a more civil mode of expression. I am sensitive to the fact that such expressions as I used can recall instances of verbal abuse by some people. Again, I am sorry that my choice of words did so for you. Please understand that I meant no disrespect toward you or anyone else who may be similarly offended.

Although I have largely moved on with my life and have relegated twi to the netherworld regions of my mind, occasionally when I read of someones abusive experience (and am reminded of my own)I become so viscerally agitated that the only appropriate response employs expletives (with figurative rather than literal meaning) and verbal economy.

Personally approves the wine list.

You may want to consider adding a phrase like mine below to your personal profile signature.

The theory is is that evidence obtained by illegal means is not admisable in court. Just a theory (and not legal advice), but another clove of garlic around your neck can't hurt.....

Copyright 2004 by the author. All rights reserved. Posting may not be copied or reproduced by anyone, including employees and followers of The Way International, Inc.

The 1st amendment guarantees our freedom of speech, however it is important to diferentiate between the freedom to speak or write and consequences of your spoken or written word. In other words you can say it or write it, but that does not get you off the hook if what is spoken (slander) or what is written (libel) is false and damaging to an individual or corporation. As has been stated previously by Cat always be truthful and state the facts. If you are right about the facts and being honest with them, this is the key to defending yourself if you are ever sued for slander or libel.

Opinions are beliefs not based on certainty, so there can be more license to express your own judgement without the serious consequences of being dishonest with the facts as in slander and libel.

One of the misunderstandings with the internet is that some view it as a backroom gossip lounge. It is not, it's open and it would be wise to be wary of those watching and listening in. Tell the truth and express your opinions...no problems other than the occasional disagreement with a fellow poster.

IMF777:

It's not a bad idea, but I don't think it will work since pawtucket actually would be the one to hold the copyright on everything here unless he has a disclaimer stating otherwise. Our posts are effectively the property of the Greasespot Cafe, whatever the legal entity might be (which is probably just pawtucket.)

Of course, depending on who is hosting this site, it could be their property, depending on what the contract is between pawtucket and the hosting company. There may even be some involvement from the network provider as well, although I doubt they could claim ownership. Most likely the hosting provider doesn't claim ownership either, although they would have a legal responsibility to at least work with pawtucket in the event of copyright violations, if not just pulling the plug themselves.

It's a complicated, messy thing to deal with. I've seen examples where hosts on the internet have yanked entire sites based on the email of a random person threatening to sue the hosting company, even though the emailer had no legal basis for it.

I think that pawtucket should have a clear but brief copyright disclaimer on the site one way or another, to make sure that TWI can't use this stuff for anything. Something along the lines of, "All posts ©2004 by user. GreaseSpot Cafe claims no liability for the accuracy of user's comments, and reserves no ownership of them whatsoever. Posting a comment is agreeing to grant GreaseSpot Cafe non-exclusive serial rights to publish it online, at GreaseSpotCafe.com and GSCafe.com. We reserve the right to remove any comments for any reason at any time."

I'm sure a lawyer could do better than that, but something along those lines is needed I think. That way your copyright .sig would be valid.

Mister P-Mosh,

I know Jim's list has a copyright notice on it that I think says copyright is shared by both the poster and the list. And in the last lawsuit, TWI hadn't gotten a court order for the poster's names like Waydale.

In my humble opinion, anything to slow down the bad guys is worth a try, especially if it only takes a small amount of effort like posting the notice.

Copyright 2004 by the author. All rights reserved. Posting may not be copied or reproduced by anyone, including employees and followers of The Way International, Inc.

• 2 years later...

From WordWolf on a friend tracker thread:

When posting the names of people, please don't include their FULL name here unmarked.

Substitute "*" or numbers or things so that they don't come up under searches.

Otherwise, someone doing a websearch, say, on J!m D00p's name will find every time

you mentioned his name.