GreaseSpot Cafe

the hiway29 saga

hiway29

Here's a little bit of my story, and if it sounds like I'm rambling, it's because I'm putting this down as I go, and I hope it makes sense.

I got into the way in '75, at the Univ of Bridgeport in Conn. I was graduating in a few months , and was riddled with fear and uncertainty about what was next. I could write pages about the mess I had been since early childhood, but for now I'll just say that I was extremely introverted, with no sense of self worth whatsoever,smoking pot daily to escape it all, and totally ill equipped to go out in the world and survive. In short, I was a perfect candidate to be indoctrinated into the way.

My only discernible talent and achievement was a fairly decent ability in art, which I hoped to channel in some fashion.

To cut through the first years, I took the class,went wow, returned to Conn, and became a twig leader over the next few years. For all of the many abuses I was subjected to during that time, I did learn how to come out of my 'shell', and actually became a not bad teacher of way doctrine. I also got off pot, so I do believe there was an initial positive influence for me the first couple of years.

I was getting nowhere with my so called career tho, not to mention the other deeply rooted issues of my life. One time ,when I was running a twig, way home, and coordinating a class while working in a metal grinding factory, I had a heart to heart talk with the branch rev about my need to devote some time to the work I wanted to do. His wise response was I wasn't abundant sharing enough and I have nothing to gripe about.

I'll fast forward to 1986, living in San Diego, slowly leaving the way, but still kinda hanging on. I knew it was over, and right at that time I contracted ulcerative colitis, which is an incurable intestinal disease featuring such symptoms as constant diarrhea, stomach pains,blood in the stool, and frequent loss of bowel control. I had few friends around me, I was living in a hole of an apt, with the reality of homelessness one bad financial month away. I was working as a comic book artist for a company that was always behind in paying me, and too sick with colitis to go out and get a job that Id have to be at for 8 hours. I truly believed it was the end of the road for me, broke, and diseased.

Just when things looked darkest, I managed to get an interview with one of the lesser animation studios in Los Angeles, and got an entry level position. I packed up my stuff and moved to LA, living first in a half built house, then in a cheap apt near the studio. I was determined that I would not get beat again. To make that long story short, I've built a career in this industry, and have worked for most every major animation studio since 1990, primarily Disney, and Warner Bros. I saved enough to buy a nice condo in one of the better areas of Pasadena, and count my blessings every day.

I still had the issue of the colitis tho. For 8 years I was in constant torment. Not a day went by that I wasn't afraid to leave the house for fear of losing control, and the abdominal pains and bleeding frightened me no end. My first 4 years in animation I lived with it. Pulling myself together every day to go into work and get through the day, then going home to rest at night.

Finally in 1993, I made the decision to have surgery. The option was always there to have my colon removed and wear a bag on my side the rest of my life, but that freaked me out. Now I was given the option of a new procedure where they would remove the colon, thus removing the disease, and construct an internal 'pouch', then reconnect the plumbing inside. This I opted for and went in for 6 hours of surgery, followed by 3 months of rcuperation.

I had few intimate friends nearby at this time, and spent 2 weeks in the hospital with no visitors, except for my friend Jim from high school, who flew out to see me.

I was healed of the disease, and have seen many of my life's dreams come true. I do not think any of this would have been accomplished had I stayed in the way.

Well that's a little of my story. Thanks to anyone who actually read this far.

Oh, and you can see my artwork at my on line portfolio andyice.com if you're interested.

Wow, Andy,

I didn't know the seriousness of your medical problem. (You had mentioned it once.) I am very glad you are still with us. Thanks for your story. I hope you can enjoy many more years of animation plus everything else this good life has to offer.

Bob

Way II much fun for one man.

love ya,

Bob Hansen

Andy

God Bless you! I had colitis when I was 15/16 (?) years old. The doctor told me that usually only older folks had it and asked about my childhood. Like you it was an interesting one.

Fortunately, I never got to the point to which you got. But I can sympathize! Many a day, in my teens, I laid on the bathroom floor holding my stomach rocking back and forth. The pain is enormous.

My heart goes out to you.

So, if colitis is stress induced the pressure form TWI must have doubled you over. I am so sorry some jacka-- told you to abundant share more. How much LOVE was in that statement? Geeeezzz, what the human race does to one another.....

Ya know, one time I witnessed to a guy who was so anti-god it was amazing. He told me he had been a catholic and his wife was dying. The priest was there to do the last rites thing. And the priest told this woman because she married a divorced man that she would go to hell unless she denounced her marriage.

Frightened of going to hell, her dying words were that she denounced her marraige and asked God to forgive her for the sin of marrying the guy.....

It just blows my mind how cruel people can be in the name of God.

Thank God you were blessed and are now out of pain. I rejoice with you!

As far as being an introvert? I must say, you are a hoot! The funniest lines I ever read here at GS, came for you.

Speaking of did VP invent the hook shot, your remark went something like this....

Yes, he invented the hook shot, he created McDonald's, he saw a snow storm, heard from God, he fell to this plantet from Cripton....

Boy, I should look it up! It was so funny!

GREAT ARTIST!!!!!! Big hugs (((((hwy29)))))

Dot_Matrix.gif

• 3 years later...

I'm glad Dan bumped this up. I doubt I would have seen it otherwise.

I toyed with the idea of being a comic-book artist when I was young, but stuck with chemistry, which was probably the right choice. I've enjoyed your posts over the years, thinking of you as somewhat a kindred spirit.

And now, having seen your website, I have a true mental image of you. (Remember the "How do you picture your fellow posters?" thread?)

God bless,

George

• 1 year later...

Finally got to this...wonderful.

Life ain't always easy.

The artwork is neat. The sketches and comics remind my of one of my "famous contacts" (from Cheranne's recent thread) who got started that way, and in fact one of his movie parts actually shows him sketching. He still does that stuff, is a lot into graphic novels, and of course is involved in computer art.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm still around, Dot, I just haven't had much to say. That doesn't mean I haven't been reading and keeping up with what's happening around here. I should make a statement of sorts before this place closes, if only to thank Paw.

I'm over at that GSC fb group, though I haven't quite figured how I want to contribute there. It's good that there's at least a contact point, and I'm pleased to see that you're there.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I was extremely introverted, with no sense of self worth whatsoever,smoking pot daily to escape it all, and totally ill equipped to go out in the world and survive.

dear andy, do you think pot is used to escape reality?

love,e

Edited by excathedra