GreaseSpot Cafe

Second Annual Southern Comfort Reunion n Weenie Roast

Greetings fair and noble G'spotters

It has come to my attention (short term memory loss not withstanding) that we are in dire need of another weenie roast.

Therefore...

icon_eek.gif

We will be holding the next one at...

Drum roll please!

More drums please icon_razz.gif:P-->

Tims Ford State Park (same place as last time) in middle Tennessee!

It will be Sept 19th (late evening) through the 21st

Tims Ford is a lovely lakeside park (big lake) with ample tent camping RV hookups and several REALLY nice cabins that can sleep 8 VERY easily and more with sleeping bags.

There is fishing, boating and trails not to mention deer, rabbits and other assorted wild critters (Hawk swears he saw bigfoot taking a dump but I think it may of been the wild turkey he put in his stew icon_biggrin.gif:D--> )

Anyways come if you can we had a great time last year and if you have any questions you can private topic me fer more details.

Mikey

Edited by Guest

• Replies 615
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The chocolate biscuits were quite good actually, just couldn;t gather up the nerve to smother them in sausage n gravy icon_eek.gif

If you do a search on Tennessee State Parks you will find the TSP website from there you can navigate to Tims Ford and see what the place looks like. Currently there is one cabin reserved and most beds taken, campsites are on a first come first served basis but last year there were plenty of sites available all weekend.

You will need to think through yer food as the nearest restaurant is 7 miles away and their menu selection is rather limited. There are grills and firepits and of course the cabins have kitchens so perhaps we could coordinate a breakfast n dinner thang or two depending on who wants to bring what. Hawk??? you still got the fixings for deer stew?

Come hell or high water, we're gonna be there this year!!!!!!!!!!!!! 1000Names even agreed he'd sleep in a tent if he has to! lol

Ideally we would love to share a cabin with someone. Anyone interested can email me at Abigail0900@yahoo.com.

Herbal, tried to email you, it came back. Can you email me so we can work out a few details?

To every man his own truth and his own God within.

p.s. I make the BEST chili, so if there's a kitchen available, I'll cook one night. icon_smile.gif:)-->

[This message was edited by Abigail on August 09, 2003 at 11:45.]

Edited by Guest

Abigail,

Re:"Ideally we would love to share a cabin with someone."

I'd be interested as I would be all by my lonesome. I couldn't make it last year as Carol was having open heart surgery and the social calendar is looking good this year. Does Verbal snore??

sudo
Edited by Guest

What we got so far...

Chile fer dinner n mebbe some of Hawks World Famous Stew...

Sausage n Biscuits n Gravy for breakfast...

Gotta have some sort of lunch stuff for Sat and Sun so I'll pick up some burgers n dogs n buns fer that.

Man it sure sounds like some good eats, sure am glad I"M going. icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

Should we take care of our own chips n drinks?

Paw I saw that Hmmm icon_wink.gif;)-->

Mikey

Hey Hope,

Knoxville Airport seems to be the closest one to Tims Ford, from what I gather they've replaced the wind sock with a real live person icon_eek.gif

And ummm yes the leaves will/ought to/should (take your pick) be changing about that time. I've got a cabin reserved and there is at this time one room with two beds available, fcfs...

Mikey

Edited by Guest

The airports and their rough distances are as follows:

Huntsville, AL - 75 miles

Chattanooga, TN - 75 miles

Nashville, TN - 90 miles

Knoxville, TN - 175 miles

Atlanta, GA - 200 miles

My pick would be Huntsville, then Nashville. Huntsville is a less-busy airport but it's quite nice. The drive from Nashville is over half-Interstate, though. The drive from Huntsville is all US/state highways. The drive from Chattanooga is mostly Interstate, but the airport is small.

There's really nothing to recommend Knoxville, but if you can get a cheap flight to Atlanta, Chattanooga is only about an hour and a half north on I-75, then you turn west onto I-24.

The fool hath said in his heart, "PFAL is the Word of God..."

Even more bizarre, Tampa-Atlanta is $224--on the same plane! I guess the lesson is buy the Huntsville ticket, then don't get on the other plane if you want to go to Atlanta! icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

The Huntsville airport is nice because of all the NASA facilities out at Marshall SFC, and all the high-tech businesses that have sprung up in Madison. It's by no means a dirt strip, just a small-sized "real" airport.

Latest info:

I just called to book a cabin and reserved #7, by the lake, so I'll be there, and most likely Zixette will, too.

The nice attendant said that that leaves 5 cabins left open for reservation as of 1:14 EDT today, Thursday 8/14. She said they book fast on fall weekends, so don't wait too long if you want one.

She also said that each cabin has a stove, full-size fridge/freezer, and they just put microwave ovens into them.

The rate after tax is $137.10/night with a $0.50/person/day park fee.

Reservations may be cancelled up until ten days prior, so if you're tentative, go ahead and make a reservation NOW. (They don't charge your credit card until you don't show up, and only for 1 night's rent if you don't.) Call 1-800-471-5295 for reservations.

They list the 20th as a "Pickin' and Grinnin'" night, so we may not have the park to ourselves. Bring your favorite musical instruments...

Zix,

I look forward to meeting you face to face! I just called and made my reservations, too. I think Abigail and Verbal are going to stay in my cabin as well, which leaves 4 cabins available. If they all fill up, I'm hoping folks will share.

These are 4 king size bed cabins after all and the whole purpose of doing this is to get to meet and spend some time with each other, right?

sudo

I wish I could make it, but the fundage is low icon_frown.gif:(-->, although I've got available time off.

Have fun everybody! anim-smile.gif

Oakspear icon_cool.gif

In theory there is no difference between theory and practice...but in practice there is

[This message was edited by moddishwasher on March 15, 2004 at 18:14.]

Edited by Guest