GreaseSpot Cafe

Baseball (the talkin' sport)

Tom Strange

Thanks for the headsup--I'll definitely go out of my way to hear Vin again--Im sure it will be somewhere--if anyone finds it before me let me know plz....

Ive heard of that game but never seen the box score before.....I could live to be 200 and never see a game like that again.....matching 16 inning complete games---Yikes!

Sort of lost in there is that Mays threw out a runner at the plate in the fourth that paved the way for this to go 16 then also hit the walkoff HR--If I could ever go back in time I'd love to see Willie in his prime just once

For those interested (meaning Mstar), the Baseball Reliquary, Shrine of the Eternal inductees for this year, are Casey Stengal, Pete Rose, and Roger Angell. A pretty illustrious group, and high time Casey got in. That's like the Hall of Fame without Babe Ruth.

I've been so busy that I forgot to vote this year, though Casey would have been on my ballot. I'm curious who will speak for him at the ceremony, and what the odds are of Pete showing up. Jim Bouton did the year he was inducted, so who knows ? I'd like to hear Roger Angell, also, a fine baseball writer, though I'm not quite sure how he beat out other contenders.

Thanks for the info---I just went to the reliquary and you are right, this years list was full of some great choices..(If I remember to vote next year Nuf Ced McGreevey is going on my ballot).

Are you going to the induction this year? Keep us (me anyway) posted.. I'd love to hear who speaks for Casey.....and ...figger out that camera if'n you can!

o yippee

We had a good "Rudy" type story that may have fallen through the cracks to some of you.

The Sox with a lot of outfielders on the DL called up one Daniel Nava from AAA as an emergency outfielder for a game.

Nava has been cut from ever level..He is very short and small he was cut from his high school team, was cut from his college team and was the team manager washing uniforms..He was not drafted, did not play for a year after college then played for a few years with a small independant team. The Red Sox bought his rights for $1.00 (One Dollar) a few years ago to fill out their single A roster.

When he got the chance to play professionally he made the most of it and slowly moved up over the last 3 years.

He got his chance this weekend after several injuries and hit a grand slam on his first major league pitch :eusa_clap::anim-smile:

After 2 games he is batting .500 with 5 RBI and has shown agreat arm in the OF...I really dont know where he will go from here, but for the moment he has captured the heart of Red Sox fans and hopefully most baseball fans.

I love when the underdog wins, and when the guy who's never going to make it--does

Yea it did ---Im putting it out of my mind and moving on--its tough to be up by 13 and watch it dwindle away like that....I guess its appropriate to congratulate the Lakers although I really dont feel like it....Kobe is good bballer but something about him just rubs me the wrong way for some reason...

Onward to new things--Its good to see Manny back in Fenway tonight, although Joe Torre with a blue LA hat still looks strangely wrong to me---plus the AL East continues to get closer and closer

That does suck--I hope he makes it back OK-thats what killed Nomars career..

Who the heck is that pitcher out there? Ive only seen a very few highlights of him but right now he looks like a cross between Bob Gibson and Pedro Martinez when they were at their best

looking at the standings for the AL East this morning . . . one thing is clear . . . it ain't Baltimore's year . . . (although it's always possible)

I don't think I'll make it to Cincy this year, but I would guess there's fans in the stands every game now, the only time I saw that place full was when the Red Sox visited in '08.

and yeah, injuries blow

I was there last night, for a tight 2-1 pitchers duel ,decided by a mammoth Arod home run.

I'll be there today, also.

Glommed onto amazing seats just off home plate , about 15 rows up. I still prefer the loge, but who's complaining?

It's downright surreal having the Yanks at Dodger Stadium , and it's not the world series. Based on the Dodgers record against the AL, interleague play can't end soon enough.

Bolshevik-you never heard of Bob Feller, Rollie Fingers, or Gary Carter ???

I like to think if you do a little studying, it will all come back to you.

I was there last night, for a tight 2-1 pitchers duel ,decided by a mammoth Arod home run.

I'll be there today, also.

Glommed onto amazing seats just off home plate , about 15 rows up. I still prefer the loge, but who's complaining?

It's downright surreal having the Yanks at Dodger Stadium , and it's not the world series. Based on the Dodgers record against the AL, interleague play can't end soon enough.

awesome dude

Bolshevik-you never heard of Bob Feller, Rollie Fingers, or Gary Carter ???

I like to think if you do a little studying, it will all come back to you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Feller

no, hadn't heard of Feller . . . I'll be sure to finish my studies . . .

Maybe...

Can Big Baby catch?

I better get in shape in case I'm needed--Sox have been through 10 outfielders so far---there's not much left on the depth chart, they may have to be raiding high schools, beer leagues and kids in the backyard playing catch soon to fill in the roster...

Its getting spooky with all the injuries..I always expect some, but I dont remember ever seeing a rash like this. Just this week Pedroia, Buchholz, Victor Martinez, and Varitek....both catchers in one week?...to make it even weirder both AAA catchers are also on the DL- :o

-

-never mind starting the ELEVENTH outfielder of the year tonight (Whatever happened to the good old days of carrying 4 outfielders?).

Opening day pitcher Josh Beckett is still down as well as the leadoff man (Ellsbury) who's been out since April...Nevermind Mike Lowell...Jeremy Hermida and Im probably missing at least a couple because Im posting at 2AM....

and still only a half game back!

Im lovin Daniel Nava!