GreaseSpot Cafe

Thanksgiving

I would like if its ok with you all to get back into the subject instead of this side fighting.

So what other ways can we give at thanksgiving?

Ok!! I will not try to be a nice person...ok? I will not!!

it isnt side fighting vickles, your the one who claims to know all about me and stress I may have with judgement .

I just answered your questions on how I give and that is by celebrating with those the holiday is traditionaly made for those we love and care about our family and friends.

I believe charity begins at home and with those who we have spent our life with those whoknow and love us best. Outside my family you say my family grows in leaps and bounds with babies and marriages every year we just get bigger! We invite anyone who wants to see love in action do you want to come? We all live very full lives many are in the service areas and these roots carry our strength far into the community . thanks.

quote:
the Joy has little to do with glitter or" sparkly "stuff ours come from within our care and concern for one anothers well being for sure!
the only reason i'm quoting this part is i think i said something about sparkly stuff and how poor people feel

mj, your life and all it means to you is valid and deep and wonderful

but sometimes you come across as antagonistic

if you feel strongly about something, that's cool, but why do you have to sound like other people's hearts or experiences aren't as valid as yours

?

MJ, I don't know you. All I know is what you have written. I have not said anything that you haven't said back.

All I'm saying is that its great you can get together with your family. I think I've read somewhere from one of your posts that you have a big family. Not all of us have big families like that.

To suggest that someone else host a family get together for my family would be asinine as I would be the only one and everyone would have to travel 3000 miles away to get here. Maybe thats why its so hard for my mother to handle the holidays and get togethers because we are so small. Its really not about hosting we could all go out to eat. It still would be the same.

Just because I don't get together with my family doesn't mean we are not close. I talk to my mother every day on the phone and chat on the internet. I probably talk to her more than anyone I know.

As I said before your beliefs and the way your family is-there is nothing wrong with that. But on the other hand, my family and our beliefs are totally different than yours. Nothing wrong with that.

As was said before I'm wondering why your being antagonistic. You have been this way before with me so I don't think this thread is really the issue.

I believe families are the foundation of what makes America great.

I believe those we have a life time connection with give us the roots we need to be free to be great individuals !

I believe wisdom is handed down through generations to those with common bonds and historys.

the love of those who share your blood and life is what makes life fun and worthwhile. Families share much! Familys range in sizes from big to small but they always frow larger not smaller! I do include everyone in mine.

You can help people in need anytime you like it doesnt bother me at all .

I answered your questions now would you answer mine?

Why do you interject feelings for me? You ask me questions then state Im atagonistic and make accusations .

You do not want me to post on your thread yet you ask me questions and assume your opinon as my answer.

no issue vickles unless you want to make one up.

I'd like to know why this perfectly wonderful thread about thankfulness has become somewhat of a mud slinging match???

I believe Vick's heart was in the right place, I believe she celebrates in the way she feels most comfortable...she's welcome at my house anytime, as is all my friends here. Let's get off this ''runaway train'' and get back to the real spirit of the thread, please.

Thanks!

Love y'all,

-Colleen

GO VOLS!!

''...show a little faith, there's magic in the night, you ain't a beauty, but hey, you're alright, oh, and that's alright with me...''

-Bruce Springsteen

i tend to agree sorta but then the other part of me wonders what touches people's buttons and their pain

i don't know -- i've given up on trying to figure it out

but sometimes i see a wonderful thread and flip out because something really weird gets to me

so.... what do i mean

you get the prize if you can figure that ppphucker out icon_wink.gif;)-->

?

in other words, i understood exactly what vickles was saying and it warmed my heart

and then mj came along and freaked me out in a sense

but i don't know the whole story

there are days i love you mj, and days i want to punch you !

so be it. happy frikkin thankgiving. this thread feels like my family at holidays

?

Family get togethers were also very difficult for my family after my mom and grandma died. Christmas is the most difficult one for me because it was my mom's favorite holiday and she went to great lenghts to make it special for the rest of us no matter what was going on the rest of the year. She grew up Jewish and didn't get to celebrate it as a kid and was teased by other kids because of it.

My siblings and I are the only ones who still celebrate Christmas. I took over the role of hosting Christmas and it is a love/hate thing for me. I love the early morning part when it is just my kids and dread when my siblings come over. They are very nice about it, but I always feel like I will never be able to make it as special as my mom did. I started out following all of her traditions and then tried changing some around, but the truth is, it won't ever be the same without her there.

I have a great love and respect for the wisdom I can gain from my extended family and like the feeling of connectedness. But there are also some families an individual would just be better off without. And if they are wise enough and strong enough to stay away from unhealthy families, more power to them.

So, back to giving. I don't volunteer at shelters or anything like that. I will donate to food drives but I would do that any time of year. I do try to take advantage of the holiday to teach my kids about being thankful and I do what I can to help my cousin who hosts the dinner. I tend to get more into "give mode" after thanksgiving, during the Christmas season. Perhaps that is my upbringing because I can't stand the thought of families not being able to eat a nice Christmas dinner together or of kids not having presents under their tree Christmas morning.

To every man his own truth and his own God within.

I think its great abigail what you do. Any giving of any kind is great to do and needed. I think of one family or one child that could be happy for just that one day will remember it for a lifetime.

Excie, I believe that too, its so important for our children to learn to give. To me giving is something to hold dear to know that we helped and did something. I've been there where I had to be on the receiving end and I know how hard it is to receive but when you get to that place in life you will always remember the kindness that was given you. I keep that in mind. I know my children will never have to go through what I did and as an adult.

I think that being able to gives comes from an early age. I think that is why I feel that it is so important to teach my children now.

Hi Vic ~

Some years ago I started a gratitude journal.

On each page ~ or half, if you have a wonderful journal and want to save space like I do this year...(; ... you list 5 things you are grateful for, right?

Years ago, when I started, my attitude of gratitude wasn't as refined ~ or should I say, 'clear on' what gratitude really is ~ thanksgiving ~

I used to search around to fill in those 5 little lines, always grateful for my child, a home, work...friends...abilities...all the 'given's'

Over the years that's grown...from having bad days where I'd had little to contribute to gratitude, where I'd say, it rained today ~ (someone might be glad)...or things like birds or butterflies were eating or flying around something or other...

Over the years ~

Trips to libraries were replaced by book buying of my favorite authors and new ones, having my own library of sorts now, as well...

Weather ~ was able to be seen for the intricate part it plays in our daily lives, not for a lack of something else I wasn't able to focus on ~ about our life ~ why question, right?...be thankful we can breathe...

Friends..having them doesn't matter in quite in same way as being one does, I've begun to see...

Family...well, no choice there...but making the wrongs right, doing the best for anyone who asks or needs...kinda makes up for all the crap families look like they bring when gratitude for being born in one isn't acknowledged, yes?

Work...pays the freight and then some...and thankfully, is changable for the flexible person...

Everything matters...when we take time to notice...especially the little things.

What seeds are you planting?

How does your garden grow?

What wonderful returns come back to you for the efforts...

Thanks for a THANKSGIVING thread Vic ~

THANKS ~ GIVING

This whole concept (embracing it) makes my life much more real, so vivid, and brings depth and understanding...and awe to most things that come in my path.

I think my journal today might add that some more may benefit (it's only a day away to making such a commitment as to be thankful for only 5 things a day) from what gratitude really is...a life enhansing tool for CHANGE, improvement, replenishment, and rejuvination...among other things.

Love & Happy Thankgiving to You and Yours,

Ginger

Thanksgiving for me is the MOST missed holiday.

I really miss it all. The family get together - (one of the few times we would actually get all of us together). The food - Can't get a good turkey dinner with all the trimmings here. Very hard to find yams, cranberries, etc. - plus for us it also meant overeating including seconds of pecan & pumkin pies. mmmmmmNNNNNNNmmmmmm! Damn - I've been dieting for 8 months and this is making me really hungry! After the meal, we would stake our claims on various pieces of furniture for the afternoon tradition of watching our Detroit Lions lose to Dallas or Green Bay. Then in the evening, grazing in the kitchen on left overs while enjoying some good coffee and maybe a little brandy.

Those pilgrims sure new what they were doing, didn't they?