GreaseSpot Cafe

The Man Of God Of The Whole World

Catcup

I'm having a great time going thru these old SNS tapes, and am occasionaly finding interesting tidbits of information denied or backpedaled on by TWI.

For instance, take the term "The Man of God of the Whole World."

During some of the legal troubles TWI faced in the recent years, TWI was backing away from that terminology and claiming TWI never indicated VPW or LCM were "The" Man of God, or the Man of God of the whole world.

That terminology of course, would indicate that followers believed that this man was THE person who represented God to his followers. And to disobey a request from such a representative of God would hold consequences.

The person who chose to disobey "The" man of God or "The Man of God of The Whole World" would be risking God's displeasure.

The idea of the leader of TWI being "The" Man of God or The Man of God of the entire world was one of the major concepts which allowed leaders to use their position to intimidate women into sexual submission.

For this reason, TWI seemed to want to distance themselves from ever having used this terminology to describe the president and/or founder of The Way International to their followers.

Well, folks, just dustin' off the oldies, I ran across an old Rock of Ages brochure with a sketch of VPW and next to it in big, bold, letters, was the phrase, "The Man Of God." Seeing how TWI is such a stickler for accuracy, if this sketch not been approved for distribution to Way Followers at a large public event, it would have been deep-sixed.

Then today, I was listening to tape #971, titled "Worship Manifestations," a Sunday Night Service teaching taught at no less a major public gathering than The Advanced Class 1979.

This was the Live Advanced Class taught in 1979 at Athens Ohio at Ohio University, a major Way Ministry event which gathered Way followers from all over the world. At major events like this, everything was rehearsed and reviewed ad infinitum. Especially at an Advanced class, where the accuracy of the information is of supreme importance.

You would think, that nothing would leave the microphone on that stage that had not first been approved. Or if it was a major mis-statement that would have given Way followers the wrong impression, it would have been immediatley corrected.

Victor Paul Wierwille was personally present, and could have immediately corrected and handled anything anyone said that he felt was an innacurate portrayal, especially of himself.

During the announcement portion of the presentation, VPW is presented with the first copy of the Aramaic concordance folks at HQ worked on, and beams with pride that TWI is the first in history to put one together, ending with a prayer blessing the work.

Immediately afterward, Rev. Vince Finnegan comes out to hawk the "Take A Stand Caravan" that is touring the country, and makes the announcement that, on July 4-7th the Caravan will be in Washington D.C.

Finnegan then carefully announces the itinerary for each day hour by hour in D.C., and then declares that, "the very, very special part of this Caravan is that July 4th The Man of God of the World is going to Washington D.C., Dr. Wierwille."

PeePull, can it be any plainer?

If this was an innacurate portrayal of VPW to the audience gathered, he could have come right out and corrected it then and there. OR-- the tape could have been edited to take it out.

However, the event went on as scheduled, and here it is on an audiotape that went out to a world-wide audience of followers who were again reinforced with the idea that this was "The Man Of God Of The Whole World."

So, who are you to deny a request.

He taught us himself that a polite request is a command.

And from no less a personage than The Man Of God Of The Whole World.

And, when Loy Craig Martindale stepped into position as president of The Way International, that monniker was laid on his shoulders with the skunk pelt. And we all knew it. So did he.

So who are you to deny his "need?"

You are groomed to service. You are groomed to obey-- THE man of God.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TWI was infamous for changing the rules, and pretending that they'd always been that way, without ever admitting that what had come before was an error or in need of changing.

The subject of the Man of God was one of the more recent examples.

I remember we all believed "Man of God for the world". And it only made sense...we were God's ministry for the world. So now that the ministry denies having said that, and apparantly with Rosalie being declared the head paper pusher and nothing else, does that mean they acknowledge that The Way Ministry is no longer "God's ministry for the world"?

quote:
If this was an innacurate portrayal of VPW to the audience gathered, he could have come right out and corrected it then and there. OR-- the tape could have been edited to take it out.

Damn straight it would have been edited out if it didn't pass review. The A/V guys that prepared the master tapes were incredible at editing and could have fixed it easily.

Good to read you again, Catcup! You're missed when you're not here.

It's funny that they still claim lcm was "The Man of God" but that he had his own faults just like David and Solomon. They don't have anyone to fill those shoes now and it's got to be killing them because that's one less thing they have to lord over God's people.

Hey Catcup. How are you?

Of course we were told that VPW was THE man of God of the whole world. I heard this from as early as 1974 from most everyone when it came up. It was not only strongly implied, it was stated and taught all over the place as evidenced by the tape you have. Furthermore, we believed it. I was present at AC '79 when this was said so I was among the 4,000 who heard it.

(Will you be in Tipp this summer? See you there if so.)

Hi Catcup, so good to see you again, you ar sorely missed by so many of us here.

I never heard that he was the man of God for the world but I did here that he and LCM later that they were the"man of God for our day and time". It doesn't surprise me tho.

I remember thinking who made them the men of God, not me did God tell them that or did we put that handle in them?

Naw -- not smarter at all. I move so slow, that I have been told that if I move any slower -- I would be in a coma.

icon_biggrin.gif:D--> icon_eek.gificon_biggrin.gif:D-->

Needless to say -- my thoughts are not far behind. icon_rolleyes.gif:rolleyes:-->

Took me twenty-odd years to realize that A + B = AB(s). icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

David