GreaseSpot Cafe

Christian Reclamation of Halloween

"Bazooka Jesus" huh? That's funny. I did hear on the radio that now halloween has passed Christmas as the holiday the most money is spent on. Maybe that's why they want to "reclaim" it. Man, if I passed out bible tracts and not candy I'd be afraid of getting my house egged or something.

quote:
Originally posted by johniam:

"Bazooka Jesus" huh? That's funny. I did hear on the radio that now halloween has passed Christmas as the holiday the most money is spent on. Maybe that's why they want to "reclaim" it. Man, if I passed out bible tracts and not candy I'd be afraid of getting my house egged or something.

They mentioned opening the wrappers of Kitkat bars to write scriptures on the inside where it's white, which could do both. Of course, if you could get your hands on Bazooka Jesus bubble gum you'd be set too. I thought that the comic they showed was pretty funny though.

bazookajesuslarge.jpg

I don't think it would be so bad to hand out the bubble gum but I don't think I would send out pamphlets or something like that. I think my yard would be toilet papered. That would be a mess!!!!!

Ok!! I will not try to be a nice person...ok? I will not!!

Hhmmmm, now why would Christians want to reclaim a holiday that has absolutely *nothing* to do with Christianity in any way? The closest it comes to Christianity is the Catholic tradition of Saints Day eve; Saints Day being November 1st.

I know they get mad when folks of other beliefs 'hijack' Christian holidays or secularize them (Christmas and Easter being the two biggies), so why would they want to 'hijack'--err 'reclaim' non-Christian holidays, hmmm?

Prophet Emeritus of THE,

and Wandering CyberUU Hippie,

Garth P.

www.gapstudioweb.com

I always liked halloween. . .

icon_smile.gif:)--> families out and about

icon_smile.gif:)--> parents taking time with their children, watching over them

icon_smile.gif:)--> A time for neighbors to get together -- talking on the street while the children are running around together having the enjoyment of a parent-supervised (and protected) time

icon_smile.gif:)--> making treats as a family, parties

I always thought halloween was a great time because nice people make fun of the devil's "big scare."

From Waydale:

icon_smile.gif:)-->," God

From that site: "This Halloween, what you as a Christian need to do is HalloWitness."

Oh good grief. I understand if parents don't want their kids to dress as evil creatures...but give out religious tracts for treats to little kids???

I remember the zealots who used to leave me those instead of a tip when I was busting my butt as a waitress on the WOW field. And the sad part is, I'm sure they thought they were doing me a huge favor.

Linda Z

IMHO halo-witness is what a Christian lives every day, always. It's what we are.

p.s. I always loved getting those tracts. I always loved seeing the hope of them.

(A gospel tract is only given out if the giver thinks that Jesus would save some thereby. I always loved that.)

Hopefully,

icon_smile.gif:)-->," God

quote:
Originally posted by Linda Z:

I remember the zealots who used to leave me those instead of a tip when I was busting my butt as a waitress on the WOW field. And the sad part is, I'm sure they thought they were doing me a huge favor.

Linda Z

OH MAN I remember getting that. And yes folks this was INSTEAD of a tip, NOT with a tip. Geez how CHEAP and Ignorant can you get? Great witness for the Lord arn't they?

BTW, after skimming that site, those people are clearly nuts.

babyrott60percent.gif

...Ain't no grave, gonna hold this body down..when I hear that trumpet sound...

p

Kit said, "IMHO halo-witness is what a Christian lives every day, always. It's what we are."

I agree totally, Kit. Our day-to-day lives are the witness, not some trumped-up activity like cruising the mall. icon_smile.gif:)-->

"p.s. I always loved getting those tracts. I always loved seeing the hope of them. "

You must have always looked as sweet as you are. I always got the ones that said I was going to hell. LOL

Linda Z

When I got the tracts instead of a tip, I never even looked at them. I was just disgusted. If kids are going trick-or-treating, which is free candy day, and get religious tracts instead, I'm sure theyre going to be disappointed, to say the least.

The thing is, there is an appropriate situation to hand out stuff like that. Stiffing a waitress, or giving one to a kid who is expecting candy, is really not the way to impress upon people.

If they would have left me a tract WITH a tip, that would have been different. So I say if your gonna hand out the tracts, or the WWJD bracelets, Give em a Big Fat Gooey Cadway Caramel Bar Too!

babyrott60percent.gif

p

Nothing to re-claim, it was the pagans' to start with! The folks who started the observance didn't believe in a devil anyway, so it not a "devil's holiday".

The Christians tried to claim it centuries ago by turning it into All Saints Day. That went over well, didn't it?

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice...but in practice there is

Oakspear icon_cool.gif

Fun site Mosh!, I am glad that they have also taken a stand against those other insidious evils triclavianism and secular consumerism, although why they want to ban Landover Baptist is beyond me since they seem to be on the same page,although quite abit more clever about it.

Looks to me like it's real exie.

I know in Wheaton IL, (Suburb of chicago Actually about 5 miles west of me),

home of the Billy Graham museum, you will be hard pressed to find any Halloween decorations there.

Wheaton College just recently started allowing their students to drink and dance. Off campus of course.

Unbelievable uptightness. That kind of Christian living is BORING with a capitol BORE.

I'm not sure what those people do for fun. Play Bible trivia?

babyrott60percent.gif

p