GreaseSpot Cafe

The Cone of Irene

Raf

This one doesn't have a name yet, but if it does get a name, it will be Irene.

The last storm with that name struck South Florida on Oct. 15, 1999, less than two weeks after my arrival in this area. It was a Friday. I started my job the following Monday.

Here's to history NOT repeating itself.

204616W_sm.gif

Edited by Raf

Irene was six years ago.

The names repeat every six years unless the storms hit land and are particularly destructive. There will never be another storm named Andrew, for example. And this year the "F" storm was Franklin because six years ago it was Floyd, which did some serious damage.

I figured "The Cone of..." was a nice, consistent way of posting hurricane/storm threads.

And I've been very good about biting my tongue when I see the word "alien." icon_smile.gif:)-->

Who or what is Beldar?

Ok, looks like it's got a name.

Florida appears to be in the clear, for what it's worth. No clue where it's headed, but I hope this is one of those storms that just stays way out in the Atlantic and never bugs anyone.

My respect for you guys in hurricane land grew immensely recently when I got caught in a strong, isolated storm while driving home from work. Winds were clocked about 100 mph, which qualified them as hurricane-force winds. It's the most scared I've ever been while driving through a storm.

It sounded like someone was throwing baseballs at the side of my car. There was a lot of debris flying around, but there were no dents, so someone said it might have been the intense pressure pushing on and releasing the metal.

All I could do was sit in the middle of the road with my car rocking like mad, praying that I didn't get flipped over by the wind. I watched the tires of the car in front of me come up off the pavement several times.

About 1/4 of a mile behind me, along the road I'd just come down, two helicopters and several planes were badly damaged at the small commuter airport downtown. One of the small planes got tossed 500 feet! Scary, scary stuff. One more reason I'd never move to Florida!!!