GreaseSpot Cafe

Dust Mites and Duct Cleaning

Hills Bro

Anyone into duct cleaning? I have been cleaning carpets for 20 years now and recently decided to have an add on business. I bought a duct cleaning system that has a video inspection monitor. It's really cool to see all the build up within the duct work. It's also very cool to see those dust mites and crap get sucked up into my vacuum system. The video inspection monitor is a great sales tool...to see the crap get sucked up and actually see the differance is super cool.

Most of my carpet cleaning is commercial so I do a lot of late night work. It's nice to look forward to normal day time hours. I'll hire someone to do the commercial work and do the duct cleaning myself. I value the opportunity go into someones home and actually prevent someone from crying. I've been accused of bringing many a women to tears in the past. icon_rolleyes.gif:rolleyes:--> icon_biggrin.gif:D-->

I guess there is fun after 50. Suckin dust and preventing watery eyes. Throw in a good stout brewski, some ruff sex and my life will be complete. angelkit.gificon_eek.gif

Hills Bro here is where you and I part company.

I have been in the air conditioning bizz since Sept 12, 1972. Duct cleaning is the biggist farce that come down the pick in 50 years. I use the same example for everyone. If you drive a dirty car down the road, does the dirt come off? The answer is no. Once dust settles in the duct does it ever come out? The answer is no unless you disturb it.

We have had to repair several duct system over the years that duct cleaners mess up.

One time we were working at a map making plant that had just spent $8000 on duct cleaning. I took the manager up on the roof. Took a panel off an a/c unit and aid look down. There were piles of dirt in the duct.

I have yet to see a duct cleaning system that really cleans the duct properly without damaging it.

Let the flames begin now.

quote:
If you drive a dirty car down the road, does the dirt come off? The answer is no. Once dust settles in the duct does it ever come out? The answer is no unless you disturb it.

Ex ,,, you must have one friggen dirty car? icon_eek.gificon_biggrin.gif:D--> Hopefully you wash and maintain it once in awhile? wave.gif:wave:--> I spent 4 hours today doing a duct cleaning job . With the video cam you could clearly see the differance. The dirt and dust came off like a charm. You could actually see the writing on the duct work after I got done. Nuff said..customer happy...I got paid.

Sorry for your bad experience my friend. A growing number of AC guys up north here are doing duct cleaning on the side. I plan on staying in the business until my customers stop paying me. Stay cool!!

I cleaned furnaces and dryer vents for the gas company in minneapolis for some time.

we did a bad job, but only because back then, maybe 5 years ago, they didn't have the equpiment your using now. those who did have it didn't use cameras and saw it was a easy way to make a buck.

4 hours on one job is about right I would think, here it would cost about 500 to 1000.00.

as far as any commecial job, 8000.00 would be my commision, not the price of the job.

duct cleaning is a good thing, as long as it's done right. I have a friend here who went into business for himself about 3 years ago and has got hooked into the .gov work in Mn. he does a very good job.

another thing you may want to offer customers is mold inhibitors in attics, dryer vent cleaning (2nd largest cause of house fires in the US, dryer fires), and you can offer your services to the gas company to clean sutted furnaces. gas companies DO NOT have the equipment to do this the right way. they use a brush and small vac lol.

one tool you do want is a dental mirror. one of those small round ones on a extention rod works best.

another good place to find business is through Dr's who have patients with alergies. thats one of the best places you can find customers for sanatizing duct work and attics, and it helps alot.

ok, I could go on, but I won't. lol

hope you do good with your new venture.

peace and love