GreaseSpot Cafe

Way Musicians

jetc57

Does anyone know whatever became of the following People/groups?

Joyful Noise

Timothy

Titus

Stevie Kay Lewis

Skippy (the very sexy sax player from Joyful Noise)

Dan Moran

Curious if anyone knows how to obtain music from the past. Does one go through Way Productions?

Thanks

Jeannette

Jeanette, it's Stevie Kay, formerly Louis(now divorced from ex-husband Jamie). Claudette Royal is still in TWI as ordained clergy serving Atlanta/Marietta area. Brian Bliss was last listed in Dayton,OH. Steive is in CO. Dean is in TEX. Cliff in VA. Greg Anderson in Ind. Ted is in Ohio. Helen in FL. as well as Mary Ann. Paul Vergillio aka Paolo Emillio Dionisio and Kristiana Linder Perez in Cal. as well as Steve Strick(divorced from Beverly). Ralph and maybe Joe from Pressed Down are in Nashville. Don't know about Hope(Larry and Marianne Shicks) and Agape(David Bailey). Hope this helps. Thomas

About 2 1/2 years ago, Brian Bliss was playing the piano for Lou Vuto in Pigeon Forge, TN. Lou was at the Memories Theater, but now has his own thing going.

You can find out about Lou in the Corps Threads, I think.

Found this when I googled Skip:

Go back to the formative years of one of the most influential horn sections of Rock and Soul. Go back to the East Bay. Go back to Oakland. On the mean streets. This is where you'll find Skip Mesquite.

Skip is one of the founding members of The Tower of Power. He played on East Bay Grease and Bump City during the creative genesis of the Band playing Lead Tenor, Flute, and Vocals. During those first 6 years, he played and recorded with such notables as: Santana, Merle Sounders and Jerry Garcia, Cold Blood, Red Bone, Dr. Hook and the Medicine Show, Jennifer Warnes, just to name a few.

After leaving the Tower, Skip spent a number of years with another formidable horn band, Lydia Pense and Cold Blood. It was at this time Skip returned to school in the midwest and did independent production and recording while getting his Degree.

During the late 70's Skip spent a year on the road with Deniece Williams touring on the Earth, Wind, and Fire show in the United States and Europe.

The 80's were spent with an experimental band in Los Angeles called Takit which included David Garibaldi and Danny Hoefer, former members of the Tower of Power.

The early 90's found Skip taking a hiatus from the rigors of travel. His reemergence was in 1997 with Lenny Williams who he is with at present. He is currently endorsing Cannonball Saxophones and writing songs for a project he is working on with Mic Gillette who also plays with Lenny. Mic is the original lead trumpet for the Tower.

Skip and Mic have known each other since grade school. They first met when their fathers played in the Big Bands around the Bay Area and would bring them to rehearsals.

From those early years to the present, Skip Mesquite has remained faithful to the musical heritage that he helped form. Funk at its finest!

The 80's were spent with an experimental band in Los Angeles called Takit which included David Garibaldi and Danny Hoefer, former members of the Tower of Power.

Since when was TAKIT an L.A. band?? Me thunk they were based outta New Knoxville!!

But then again -- what do I know? :D

David

PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I AM WRONG -- I somehow thought Skip played with Joyful Noise in the late 70s? I seem to recall watching him play the sax on stage at the ROA in 1979 and thinking, WOWEE what a talented and gifted artist. I knew at that time he had previous ties with Tower of Power and even Earth Wind and Fire. I don' t remember Takit, tho.

Thanks to everyone for all their help.

DMiller, the one thing I have found out on the Cortright page is that some of the believer email links are OLD and not up to date. I tried to email Lee Turner and his wife Gale who are said to be having fellowships in Missouri City Tx, but the email addy no longer exists. Bummer. I had many questions for him.

I still appreciate the links. Its wonderful to find out 'where they are now'?

Blessings

Jeannette

• 1 year later...

Skip was part of Joyful Noise in the '70s, when he was in the Corps, which is probably what is referred to when it says, "It was at this time Skip returned to school in the midwest and did independent production and recording while getting his Degree." Probably didn't want to mention he was in a cult.

TAKIT was an offshoot of Joyful Noise that started out being based at HQ in New Knoxville, but then went to LA in 1981 or so, to try and break into the secular music field. They lasted two or three years there before disbanding.

• 1 month later...
Skip was part of Joyful Noise in the '70s, when he was in the Corps, which is probably what is referred to when it says, "It was at this time Skip returned to school in the midwest and did independent production and recording while getting his Degree." Probably didn't want to mention he was in a cult.

TAKIT was an offshoot of Joyful Noise that started out being based at HQ in New Knoxville, but then went to LA in 1981 or so, to try and break into the secular music field. They lasted two or three years there before disbanding.

Skip was actually in a Way group called Sonship. So was my husband.

Blessings!

LR

• 3 weeks later...

According to the TAKIT album cover, it says Engineered by Marvin Clamme, Recorded at Britannia Studios, Hollywood, CA. Contact TAKIT at 7131 Owensmouth Suite 42D Canoga Park CA 91303. NOTHING about thanking THE TEACHER that is on most of the Way albums that I have.

Yes, Skip played with Joyful Noise We're On God's Team album and he is pictured on the album cover with the others in basketball-like outfits with Claudette in a cheerleading outfit, he 'assisted' on the America Awakes album by playing saxophone, also on Love Child with Stevie Kay Louis, he was NOT on the self-titled JOYFUL NOISE album from 1975.

I am burning my Way albums to CD and then will be listing them on ebay.

So if you have any more questions about the albums I listed or others, I will answer them if I can.

• 1 year later...
Jeanette, it's Stevie Kay, formerly Louis(now divorced from ex-husband Jamie). Claudette Royal is still in TWI as ordained clergy serving Atlanta/Marietta area. Brian Bliss was last listed in Dayton,OH. Steive is in CO. Dean is in TEX. Cliff in VA. Greg Anderson in Ind. Ted is in Ohio. Helen in FL. as well as Mary Ann. Paul Vergillio aka Paolo Emillio Dionisio and Kristiana Linder Perez in Cal. as well as Steve Strick(divorced from Beverly). Ralph and maybe Joe from Pressed Down are in Nashville. Don't know about Hope(Larry and Marianne Shicks) and Agape(David Bailey). Hope this helps. Thomas

Hi Thomas,

I was a wow back in 84-85 in Fresno. I would love to get in touch with Steve Strick. Any idea's you might have so that i can accomplish that would be very welcome.

Thanks in advance,

Maria Thomas

• 3 years later...