GreaseSpot Cafe

Anyone want to buy a library?

Bug on the Wall

I recently (very briefly) crossed paths with the President of Emporia State University at a conference, and sheepishly admitted that I had spent a year at The Way College of Emporia. At first she was puzzled by my embarrassment, but I told her I had become quite disgusted with the Way International, and had left them several years ago. She shrugged and graciously said, "We all have our learning experiences."

She also went on to say that when the Way sold that campus, it got broken up into "lots" and is being used for several different things. The Anderson Memorial Library was donated to Emporia State. She said she was very impressed at the restoration work the Way had done on it. But, she said, they are thinking about selling it because the upkeep is so expensive. (Obviously, they don't use their students as free laborers!)

Anyone want to buy an historic library?

I remember the library from when i lived in Emporia from october '78 to ROA '79.

The work that had been done by the people who worked on it was astounding. the look of the Oak that had been redone turned out wonderfully.

Too bad that someone doesn't buy it from the University and help get it set up as a landmark like topoftheworld suggested. After all of the work that the old ex-way people did to fix it up and make it look so good would be a shame to not have it set up as a historical landmark.

Geez, Tom-that would be one hell of an idea. Know anyone with $?

Who better to take care of it than the people who brought it back to it's glory?

Imagine the possibilities of people having their hearts healed at the very place that they may have been hurt? Talk about full circle.

But then again, who wants to all the way to Kansas for that.

Interesting idea, though.

• 5 years later...
  • 6 years later...
On 4/11/2006 at 3:03 PM, Bug on the Wall said:

She also went on to say that when the Way sold that campus, it got broken up into "lots" and is being used for several different things. The Anderson Memorial Library was donated to Emporia State.

Donated???!!!

By TWI?????!!!!!

My in rez Corps got to work for several weeks on preparing Emporia for auction.  First and only time I've seen the place.  G@il, the librarian from HQ, came to see what books she wanted to take.  She made a very accurate estimate of the number of all of the books there.  Chose the ones she wanted to take to HQ, then we packed those. 

Then as I recall we packed up the rest of the books into auction lots.  Or maybe we counted the remainder, on the shelves.  We counted the books as prepared for auction; that's how I know her estimate of the number was a very good estimate.

Of course, I don't know the outcome of the auction.  We weren't there and would only have been told afterwards that the auction as a whole had raised $xxx - if we were told at all.  It'll be in journals that I kept at the time - I still can't bring myself to look at those.