• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Definition of Pie

a type of food made with meat, vegetables or fruit covered in pastry and baked:

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/define.asp?key=59751&dict=CALD

a meat dish baked with biscuit or pastry crust --

a dessert consisting of a filling (as of fruit or custard) in a pastry shell or topped with pastry or both http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary

dish baked in pastry-lined pan often with a pastry top http://www.wordreference.com/definition/pie

a baked dish consisting of a filling such as chopped meat or fruit enclosed in pastry and usually cooked in a container

http://encarta.msn.com/dictionary_/pie.html

And thus we see that Pineapple fits like a hand in a glove when speaking of Pizza which is a pie

EXCEPT-----that ITALIAN pie has BREAD dough for a crust and not pastry or cookie dough.

BTW I have had pineapple and canadian bacon on pizza once, (ONCE!) it was sorta OK - but not im my opinion a pizza. It was just another meal with bread as it's base. You know, like wanton's are really just Chinese ravioli? (or vice versa)

EXCEPT-----that ITALIAN pie has BREAD dough for a crust and not pastry or cookie dough.

Which just goes to show that pie has a broad range of definition and accommodates all fillings. won tons are won tons ravioli are ravioli, different ingredients different subtlety of flavor. Of course my love of the subtle nuances of food is probably why my body is so VOLUPTUOIUS

What if everything tasted the same - and different flavors were actually a result of our believing? Lord, I believe - help thou my un-herb belief.

won tons are won tons ravioli are ravioli, different ingredients different subtlety of flavor. Of course my love of the subtle nuances of food is probably why my body is so VOLUPTUOIUS

Gotcha Templelady!

What are wontons but a pasta around a filling? Annnnnnndddd - what are ravioli - you got it - pasta around a filling. You say they are different and so do I. I always play with the way there are so many similiarities between the foods of different cultures.

SO - here we have a fruit and meat sitting on bread - Pizza? I think not... Call it something else - but don't call it pizza.

Yeah, what DMiller said!

And, I think it was Safari Vista who asked of "putting Bullwinkle on my pizza":

How could you do such a thing??

Or was that someone else who asked?

Anyway, not only have I put Bullwinkle on my pizza and eaten him, I have shot 'em, butchered 'em, and one time, I scalped this cow moose of her ears and put the bloody scalp and ears on my head which made me look like I had two big drooping moose ears hanging down. And as we drove the truck back into town from the float plane dock, my wife passed us going the other way, but she saw us laughing and me with my moose ears still on. It was the beer I think, that we were celebrating with on our way back into town from the semi-Bush that kept me in the "semi-barbarian bloody moose ear mode".

But, I never did do what I wanted to do with those ears though. I wanted to take the ears to a taxidermist and have a hat made with those ears hanging down, and that moose's mane running down my back. And then I could wear it to the annual Trapper's Ball in beautiful downtown Anchorage where I would then engage in the annual "whiskey shot" contest with my moose ears fur hat on.

And after that I'd go and buy me a great big Pineapple Pizza Pie, and then....probably barf it all over the place. :blink: And so, on second thought, I'd probably skip the pizza that night. But, the next moose I get, I swear, I am going to have me a moose ear hat made just like that....

And by the way, no one just goes and "gooses mooses". Moose will kill you in an instant if you try it. They are way powerful and can kill you with a lightning kick with their front feet. In Anchorage, a poor elderly Chinese American man was stomped to death right outside one of the side doors of the University Of Alaska Anchorage a number of years back. Poor man, didn't have a chance. It was shown over and over on Hard Copy, and also on "When Wild Animals Attack!" I'd be glad to have that moose on my pizza!

Anyway, do not drink whiskey and eat any kind of pizza! Especially an anchovy pizza! Hmmm, pineapple?....anchovy?....pineapple?.....Anchovy....Well, I think I'd rather have a pineapple pizza over stinky anchovies any old day....

animated_moose_swinging_head.gif

Nope... wasn't me Jonny

:blink: :blink: ..... Waitaminute!

Jonny, .... moose sausage? Moose? ... You aren't referring to the distinct possibility of ... Bullwinkle the Moose are you?

What does Moose taste like? Similar to deer? Hopefully NOT like rabbit... but if it's like racoon, snake or horse... then I guess I'd like it :)

And by the way, no one just goes and "gooses mooses". Moose will kill you in an instant if you try it. They are way powerful and can kill you with a lightning kick with their front feet

I know that -- but Mason Williams (who wrote the *cough!!* poem) told this story about the inspiration behind it.

I heard him over in Bayfield, Wisconsin several years ago, at the Big Top Chautauqua, and he told the story about living near the Cascades of Washington (the state), and talking with a conservation officer there about the lack of Moose here in the US, versus the population that seemed to thrive in Canada.

Mason (innocently) suggested goosing them moose, to get them to this side of the border. :biglaugh:

Thus -- the inspiration for the *poem* -- altho I would bet he's never done it himself. ;)

Edited by dmiller

Oh, it was Garth.

What does moose taste like? Well, it is like very lean beef I guess, but it has a bit of a gamey taste, but that depends on if you get 'em too close to the rut, or it also depends on what they have been eating alot of. Up in the Interior of Alaska, they eat lots of willow, which can tend to give it less of a good taste than what they eat down here in Southeast Alaska where there is lots of alder and other tender vittles. But if you get them during the middle of the rut, the meat can be downright nasty! You see, a bull moose during the rut will actually slurp the urine of a cow moose as she pees because of all of the estrus and because of their savage desire to "get some". They really are animals I tell ya! And if you take a bull who has been slurping pee, ya may as well not even shoot him, because the meat will be way bad. Caribou bulls do the same thing. So far, I have been fortunate to have had some fine moose meat. It makes great "Moose-sketti" too!

moose feed on youg shots of will and aspen trees and on aquatic plants -- they lack the sharp taste of venison and are yummy--

Dear RAf

Hear you are sick

will this help

1 x- Large pizza crust,

1 cup marinara sauce,

1 lb sliced pepperoni,

2 c cheese

Bless you, my child.

Feeling better already.

Now 7-11 is selling pizza-sandwiches. Have you seen this? It's neither a pizza nor a sandwich. It's a mutant, and a threat to the American way of life. I say we deport all pizzandwiches! Send those things back where they came from. That's right, I'm talking about undocumented lunches. No amnesty! No amnesty! No amnesty!

Probably back to the "Kraft Cheese Food Plant" :(

Ya know, I really don't like the French, but, they have good call to ridicule us for our "Kraft Cheese Food Plants", "spray cheese" and all. But we do make good cheese in Tillamook, Oregon.

But now we have "pizzandwiches?" Sounds gross. Raf, I agree with you, and no doubt Doojable will be on board with a similar sentiment.

But, do they make Hawaiin Delight Pizzandwiches? That might make 'em tolerable.....:evildenk:

Edited by Jonny Lingo

Ya know Dooj, we are in direct disagreement here. Our first out and out fight. I can't believe you would side with those who would "dis" Pineapple Pizza! You and Raf are buddies now huh? Yeah. And if you sling pizza sauce at me I'll report you to Pawtucket! Or the Modcat!

Can't you just agree with us that Pineapple pizza really is pizza, but just not your favorite? Please now, come on over. It's nice over here. We'll have some beer, a nice pepperoni/mushroom/Italian sausage pizza made by some New York Pizza place. And I'll even refrain from ordering a Hawaiian Delight. And after you come over, we'll invite Raf, for, as one famous American Motorist once said; "Can't we all just get along?"

Edited by Jonny Lingo

Ya know Dooj, we are in direct disagreement here. Our first out and out fight. I can't believe you would side with those who would "dis" Pineapple Pizza! You and Raf are buddies now huh? Yeah. And if you sling pizza sauce at me I'll report you to Pawtucket! Or the Modcat!

Can't you just agree with us that Pineapple pizza really is pizza, but just not your favorite? Please now, come on over. It's nice over here. We'll have some beer, a nice pepperoni/mushroom/Italian sausage pizza made by some New York Pizza place. And I'll even refrain from ordering a Hawaiian Delight. And after you come over, we'll invite Raf, for, as one famous American Motorist once said; "Can't we all just get along?"

Jonny, I still love you darlin'! And this isn't really a fight - its a tiff. But for the sake of sanity - I will agree to disagree. Just please, don't put pineapple on my pizza! I'll have it in a pina colada at the pool. I'll have it with ham at a Sunday dinner. I love pineapple! Have some in my fridge right now.

And BTW -I NEVER sling pizza sauce - and if you tasted the way I make it - passed down to me by generations of Italian women - you would only want me to be putting sauce on your pizza after I made some fresh in my kitchen.....

So dinner's on me if you ever make it to Texas with your family, Jonny.

bon appetito