i think it might be worth looking at them

and asking ourselves if they might have any value

not as rules, either

and not because we are somehow supposed to do this

...but because we can

and because things like this might actually work

Beliefnet: Rules of Conduct

i think the first five most apply to interfaith dialogue

1) Courtesy and Respect: You agree that you will be courteous to every Beliefnet member, even those whose beliefs you think are false or objectionable. When debating, express your opinion about a person's ideas, not about them personally. You agree not to make negative personal remarks about other Beliefnet members, including negative remarks about their age, disability, gender, ethnicity, race, nationality, religion, sexual orientation, intelligence, character, appearance, health, mental health, education or any other personal characteristic. You agree not to create posts and discussions intended to criticize or ridicule other members personally. You agree not to engage in derogatory name-calling, including calling anyone evil, a liar, Satanic, demonic, antichrist, a Nazi, or other inflammatory comparisons.

2) Hate Speech: Even if religiously motivated, you agree not to engage in hate speech on Beliefnet. You agree not to allege that groups or individuals deserve violence, or attempt to dehumanize or degrade them on the basis of age, disability, gender, ethnicity, race, nationality, religion, or sexual orientation.

3) Violence: You agree not to advocate illegal violence against or harassment of groups or individuals, even if religiously motivated.

4) Proselytizing: You agree not to make aggressive, repeated, or unwanted attempts to convert another member's religious beliefs. Please respect the rights of others to follow their own religious beliefs, even if you think those beliefs are false.

5) Disruptive behavior: You agree not to disrupt or interfere with discussions, forums, or other community functions. Disruptive behavior may include creating a disproportionate number of posts or discussions to disrupt conversation; creating off-topic posts; making statements that are deliberately inflammatory; manipulating topic lists to disrupt conversation; posting in a language other than English without providing an accurate English translation; expanding a disagreement from one discussion to another; or any behavior that interferes with conversations or inhibits the ability of others to use and enjoy this website for its intended purposes.

and here is what googles: Interfaith Dialogue

Edited by sirguessalot

something else from another forum that i found useful...

Try only to speak what you are sure is the Truth. If you are speaking of your own experiences, you can be surer that you are doing so.

When speaking in this way, exaggerating is the same as lying! We are often tempted to enlarge ourselves so that others can "see us more easily". The result is that we perform from a persona and the Truth we are attempting to communicate cannot shine forth.

It is impossible to argue with someone about the validity or lack of validity of his or her experience. It is theirs and theirs alone.

and from here...The Key to Effective Religious Dialogue

A few things that stuck out for me that might help us here...

5. Each partipant should be allowed self-definition

6. There should be no preconception as to areas of disagreement

7. Dialogue can only occur between equals

8. Dialogue can only occur where there is mutual trust

9. Participants must be self-critical of their religious beliefs

...which came from here

Edited by sirguessalot

I guess I'm just feeling gloomy tonight.

I don't think that type of dialoge is possible here.

While there are a number of posters that could participate in a respectful way toward others, there are too many contentious 'righteous' believers who would feel the need to distract, shut down, insult, confront etc. yadayada

It's like they have to win something, a big competition.

I do enjoy hearing about other people's spiritual journeys, their personal convictions, beliefs, why they think that way, what joy or peace it has brought them.

I just don't like to continually hear the 'and you must believe like i do, too, because it is Right.'

I must?

What if I can't, what dire consequences await me?(always seem to be dire consequences)

What if no matter what I do I can't be like you and have the experiences you did?

What if I have compelling experiences that are different than yours?

But carry on, Sir Guess. Maybe it will happen.

And maybe after a good night's sleep I'll be more optimistic.

Good article Goey.

There would have to be no attempts to discredit

what someone else says in any way.

Or even for another to take what someone says

and key off of it to oppose rather then agree.

It takes a degree of determination to see what we agree on.

And to perhaps extend our minds into the unknown.

Meaning not to be too quick to decide what was said is valid.

It may have to be done outside of greasespot. Unfortunately.

There are many here that would be interested i think.

But do not want to be attacked as we have seen.

wondering...

what are the tools/"secrets" for dialogue between people of different faiths?

what value might such a level of dialogue have?

what benefits?

are there examples from history we can reflect on?

are there examples in the present day?

I hardly ever post down here in doctrinal- as Im not big on discussing abstract beliefs-I am of the opinion personally that actions weigh much deeper and reflect the inner beliefs, the real beliefs, that people carry with them more than their words can express

That being said, my town has an interfaith community that works very well together, but 'the dialogue' is primarily built around projects and things that we all DO together as opposed to just discussing, that bring us together.

The homeless shelter and transitional housing program in town was completely built, funded and manned by volunteers from the interfaith community that found common ground in something that they all believed in and were able to do together. It forged lasting and deep friendships and fostered great respect among people of different faiths who if confined to just dialogue may not have been able to understand how close there actual beliefs really were despite the different spiritual languages that each may speak.

From my own personal experience, this is one of the better things that i have done that allows me to connect with people of other spiritual backgrounds and histories without developing an adversarial type relationship that I wrestle with occasionally as a holdover from my waydaze.

Your Hospice type work that you mentioned on another thread is bound to put you in a similar position.

I think that faith people of any type have much more common ground than dissimilarities generally speaking. If you can find that common ground I think you'll pretty much be on good ground

Hmmm. Still don't think you can have this type of converstation on GSC. You've already got Allan here, ready to attack, I'm sure. Others will soon follow.

TWI was very good at teaching people to attack, name call, froth at the mouth in order to get their way. Anger and manipulation of others through anger was the magic that made it all happen.

Since yelling doesn't work on a message board, they are forced to insult etc.

I have always wondered if this kind of dialogue is possible. There are spiritual consequences noted in the bible, some dire, for not believing/acting correctly. Then, filter in the ego and self-esteem of the believers themselves, and you have a potentially volatile situation. Passions will always run high, assuming of course, there is some level of commitment to the beliefs.

And how big of a problem on GS is it really? Is it horrible to the point that GreaseSpot Radio lately needs to spend all of its time discussing it? Do we need threads and lists of rules to follow? Is there something going on the moderator(s) can't take care of? Am I missing something?

-JJ

Edited by JumpinJive

JJ

There are spiritual consequences noted in the bible, some dire, for not believing/acting correctly
care to clarify?????
Then, filter in the ego and self-esteem of the believers themselve
Care to clarify that also??????

JJ

care to clarify?????

Care to clarify that also??????

Not really Clay. I think both statements stand on their own. Believe God or suffer the consequences is quite a prevalent theme throughout the bible. That we have a piece of ourselves invested in what we believe is, I think, also quite apparent.

-JJ

This reminds me of something I heard long ago:

"Yours is not to question why. Your's is but to do or die."

According to quite a number of fundamental religious teachings, that's what it seems to boil down to. Obedience. ... Don't aggressively question what you're told to believe or do, at least not to challenge the veracity of it. ... We are the Lord's servents. ... We are lowly sinners, so who are we to question The Almighty. ..... and so forth, ad nauseum. <_<

People have been putting up with this garbage for hundreds and hundreds of years. Now, in the past 150-200 years or so, more and more folks have been pulling away from that kind of mentality in one form or another (The Enlightenment, different schools of political/economic/social thought throughout history, etc.), and some how some folks have seen the need for 'revivals' and such because of this.

And so this continuing to break away continues, much to the chagrin of the staunchly religious. ... Which I see as a good sign. :)

this is what we would try to be avoided jj

there is no believe or else anything.......

religions teach this-we have had it with that,

don't'cha think????

Absolutely, Clay! And I agree with Garth too. I just don't see how its done without giving up on literal bible interpretation. And I don't see that happening anytime soon.

-JJ

Good article Goey.

There would have to be no attempts to discredit

what someone else says in any way.

Or even for another to take what someone says

and key off of it to oppose rather then agree.

It takes a degree of determination to see what we agree on.

And to perhaps extend our minds into the unknown.

Meaning not to be too quick to decide what was said is valid.

It may have to be done outside of greasespot. Unfortunately.

There are many here that would be interested i think.

But do not want to be attacked as we have seen.

What does "discredit what someone says" mean?

So, If I state that I believe that Adam and Eve were Rhesus monkeys and that the garden of Eden was in southern Idaho, does this mean that no one is allowed to discredit my statement and belief by preventing facts or evidence that Rhesus monkeys are indiginous to INdia/Asia and there is no archeological evidence of them ever living in Idaho?

If the rules for discsussion dissallow disagreement by supressing facts or evidence that may discredit a proposed view or alleged truth, it is not likely that such discussions will lead to any kind of deeper understanding.

Edited by Goey

My, my...so where do you suggest we all meet Clay ? Your place or Todds ??!!

Even though I think half of GS posters are misguided a** holes (myself included at times). Arrogant di** heads. Pompous atheistic *ankers. I'D STILL FEEL SAFER IN A ROOM WITH THEM THAN WITH YOU AND TODD.

I dunno....it's just an uneasy feelin' I get about you two and your motives. The same kind of feelin' I got before we 'checked out' of twi2.

What does "discredit what someone says" mean?

So, If I state that I believe that Adam and Eve were Rhesus monkeys and that the garden of Eden was in southern Idaho, does this mean that no one is allowed to discredit my statement and belief by preventing facts or evidence that Rhesus monkeys are indiginous to INdia/Asia and there is no archeological evidence of them ever living in Idaho?

If the rules for discsussion dissallow disagreement by supressing facts or evidence that may discredit a proposed view or alleged truth, it is not likely that such discussions will lead to any kind of deeper understanding.

Hi Goey,

I mean to take what someone says, and the sole purpose of what someone else says is to discredit what the first person says. Rather then presenting what you believe that would be different then the other. Allowing a person the room to present their beliefs and pov's without a specific attack against it. See the difference that I'm trying to convey? Both ways would accomplish what you want though the first would be stifling another.

Not sure if that says it well and I'm not upset or anything.

Just to be able to voice our beliefs without fear ya know.

In the spirit of peace rather then a battle of ideas against ideas, we could look to see what is common more then what is different. And even the different could bring deeper understanding to all involved.

Peace

Hi Goey,

I mean to take what someone says, and the sole purpose of what someone else says is to discredit what the first person says. Rather then presenting what you believe that would be different then the other. Allowing a person the room to present their beliefs and pov's without a specific attack against it. See the difference that I'm trying to convey? Both ways would accomplish what you want though the first would be stifling another.

Sometimes we can figure out what may be true, by first sorting out what may not be true. This means considering, analyzing and then either accepting, setting aside or rejecting, certain views and ideas.

For example, we may be presented an idea or a view by someone who to insists that it is "truth". We may not have a particular set view on that idea, yet what we are presented when weighed and balanced seemingly has no basis or foundation and is not supportable, like my Rhesus monkey example.

I see no problem in presenting both the weaknesses and/or strengths of what is was initially set forth as true. It would also seem to me that the person who set the premise forth would want know what weaknesses his/her view might have. This of course, assumes that that person is actually more interested in truth and/or further understanding, than insulation of his/her view from crituque, which unfortunately is not always the case.

Not sure if that says it well and I'm not upset or anything.

Just to be able to voice our beliefs without fear ya know.

In the spirit of peace rather then a battle of ideas against ideas, we could look to see what is common more then what is different. And even the different could bring deeper understanding to all involved.

Peace

Voicing our beliefs without fear of what? I would suggest that when we are confident in our beliefs and that we have adopted them in a manner that is reasonable to us, there should be no fear in what someone else may have to say about them. To find out where we may agree means that we must also find out where we may disagree, does it not ?

Edited by Goey

hi goey,

well....let me put it this way

whether anyone believes it or not they should be allowed to speak

and not have to prove every phrase and nuance to what they say

and be challenged at every turn instead of people shutting up and listening

nor does anyone else have to believe it

and noone is required to believe anyone

that's about it, those links help

if you have ever experienced this it is quite enlightening

that's all i got to say about it, whether anyone asks me again or not at this point

and today i don't believe in the shift key....lol....lol

peace