GreaseSpot Cafe

Question about tomato plants

Cowgirl

I just finished transplanting 136 tomato plants outdoors the other day, that I had been growing from seed on my window sil this past winter. Well I'm not to happy right now, my twins decided to give 56 plants a haircut and used the sizzors and cut them all off. Now all I have left of these 56 plants is little stubs!

My question..............................will they grow back or are they history???

Cowgirl

Any particular reason you chose 136? I hope you have a farmers market lined up!

I'm not so sure how well yer trimmed maters are gonna do, if they got all the leaves that sorta ends photosynthesis for the most part. You might try dipping the cut end in rooting hormone and sticking that end in the ground, stranger things have happened.

Herbiejuan..............Why 136? I don't know, I bought too many packages? :redface:

Coolchef...............Guess I'll be passing out tomatoes for a while, alot of those plants are cherry tomatoes I might add.

Cowgirl

Edited by Cowgirl

Cowgirl -- Put those miscreants up in a small room, and FORCE them

to listen (over, and over, and over), to Guy Clark singing *Homegrown Tomatoes*!! :biglaugh:

Artist: Clark Guy

Lyrics for Song: Homegrown Tomatoes

verse 1:

Ain't nothin' in the world that I like better

Than bacon & lettuce & homegrown tomatoes.

Up in the mornin' out in the garden,

Get you a ripe one don't get a hard one.

verse 2:

Plant `em in the spring, eat `em in the summer,

All winter with out `em is a culinary bummer.

I forget all about the sweatin' & diggin',

Everytime I go out & get me a big one.

chorus --

Homegrown tomatoes, homegrown tomatoes

What would life be without homegrown tomatoes?

Only two things that money can't buy --

and that's true love & homegrown tomatoes

verse 3:

You can go out to eat & that's for sure,

But it's nothin' that a homegrown tomato won't cure.

You can put `em in a salad, you can put `em in a stew,

You can make your very own tomato juice.

verse 4:

You can eat `em with eggs, or eat `em with gravy

Eat `em with beans, both pinto and navy

You can put `em on the side or put `em in the middle,

Put a homegrown tomato on a hotcake griddle.

(repeat chorus)

verse 5:

If I was to change this life I lead,

I'd be Johnny Tomato Seed.

`Cause I know what this country needs --

Homegrown tomatoes in every yard that you see.

verse 6:

And when I die don't you bury me,

Away out there in the cemetary.

Out in the garden would be much better,

Where I could be pushin' up homegrown tomatoes.

(chorus)

;) ;) ;)

Edited by dmiller

I'd say they are goners ... not sure though. My guess is that the growing point is gone ... they won't push any more leaves.

I have about a dozen rutgers tomato plants I started from seed. I put a gallon milk jug (with the bottom cut out) over them. That would stop mild frost, rabbits, and other little nippers. :)

Edited by rhino

Hi Rhino !

Just want to say, duct tape has more than one use, it works great on plants as well!! :biglaugh:

MR. D MILLERRRRRRRRR..................... OMG!!! Where on earth do you come up with this stuff???? :biglaugh::biglaugh:

I listened to it once and that was enough for me!! I don't want to torture them (the boys) that bad !!

Cowgirl

Cowgirl, I hate to say it, but I agree with those who predict the demise of your tomato plants. We also had a tragic end to most of our baby seedlings, caused by an amazing gust of strong wind that blew all but one flat to probably Michigan, or at least Cleveland a couple weeks ago.

We generally have 4-5 dozen tomato plants, as my husband works in a restaurant and donates them to the salad crew. I can and can and can. However, while Mr. Clark is right, winter is a culinary bummer, those home-canned tomatoes are as close as it gets to right off the vine for a few months. We make marinara, tomato juice and canned tomatoes.

It's a lot of work, but the rewards are plentiful. I would heartily recommend Better Boy and Celebrity for all eating, canning, and cooking. But that's our neck of the woods.

Good luck, and hope you either resurrect your plants or buy new ones! Ain't nuthin' like home grown tomatoes!

WG

Kit,

There are many ways of making fried green tomatoes. I think some folks soak them in a bowl of ice water in the fridge before they fry them up. Anyways, you pick hard bright green tomatoes, slice them into about 1/2 inch thick slices, roll them in a mixture of flour, cornmeal, salt, pepper, and fry them in hot oil about 3 minutes on each side, getting them nice and browned in the process. Drain on paper towels. Serve while still hot.

Garlic salt is good. You could probably use other herbs/spices.

Don't much like 'em myself, but have fixed them for spouse, son, whoever wants some.

WG

I found this whole scenario Hilarius, I could not stop laughing..... :biglaugh::biglaugh: Have fun with the tomatoes,, Have fun watching them grow. who knows maybe the twins will be hair stylist in the future. Or good with lawn care. Best to you..... :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Cowgirl, How the tomatoes doing now?

i love them!!!

OMG - another Maine-ah who loves friend green tomatos! No kidding, huh?!

My mother was raised in the south, where her older brother was stationed in the Navy, after their mother died. I thought she learned how to cook them then, although she certainly embraced NOTHING else from the south.

Here's how I cook them:

A few tablespoons of bacon grease in a large black frypan

Several sliced up green tomatoes (if they have a tiny bit of red on them, that's my favorite)

1 cup Corn meal

1 scant tsp Sugar

to taste - Salt & Pepper

1 scant tsp Basil (fresh chopped is much better)

1 clove chopped garlic

Mix everything but the 'maters together. Roll the 'mater slices in the corn meal. Get the grease good-n-hot but not smokin'. Fry the 'maters til brown, but not mushy. Serve hot.

Here's how my mom cooks them:

2 cups of flour (season with salt, pepper, garlic powder, etc.)

1 egg

several sliced up green tomatoes

Dip tomato slices in flour, egg, then in flour again. Fry in about 1/2 inch of oil in a fry pan - flip on each side - until crispy brown. Serve hot.

Personally, I like my way better - but certainly don't turm my nose up at my mom's green tomatoes - it's all good!

Cowgirl, I hate to say it, but I agree with those who predict the demise of your tomato plants. We also had a tragic end to most of our baby seedlings, caused by an amazing gust of strong wind that blew all but one flat to probably Michigan, or at least Cleveland a couple weeks ago.

THAT is why I have three tomato plants growing in the middle of my yard that I didn't plant.

Thanks WG

Shellon and Watered Garden, LOL!!! You two are hilarious !!!! :biglaugh:

Ca dreaming, unfortunately those plants never made it but I went ahead and planted a pile more in my vegtable garden (as if i need more), you know what it is, I have this thing for growing stuff, I really enjoy it, so I don't care how much I end up with, I'll just share the harvest with my friends and some neighbors!

These are my absolute favourite, cherry tomatoes, when they're ripe, early in the morning I go right out to my garden and eat them right off the vine for breakfast !!

Tomato_27_LG.gif