GreaseSpot Cafe

Question about tomato plants

Cowgirl

I never had anything like that happen, but I've had a few other disasters like hailstorms trashing my newly planted seedlings. I get a fair recovery rate with a tablespoon of fish emulsion at the base of each plant, although I seriously doubt it's worth the cost and effort since the remaining 80 plants should produce enough tomatoes to feed the entire Chinese army for a month or two.

Are your cherry tomatoes "heirloom" or some hybrid like "Sweet 100" or something? The heirlooms are a bit bigger...like walnuts, but they have SUCH a wondrful flavor, much more prolific, and very much in demand here.

Let me know. If they're heirlooms, I'd be interested in swapping seeds or buying some seeds.

Hi Ron, I don't know if this info I'm going to give you will help with what you're looking for but the seeds I purchased for my vegtable garden are all certified organic, Here's what it says on each package......

"Aimers" is proud to offer this special organic selection that is guaranteed free of pesticides and chemical fertilizer better safe-guarding not only health but the health of planetary-ecosystems. 100% Open-pollinated Seed, NO HYBRIDS, 100% certified organically grown Seed.

So right now I'm growing, garlic, green onions, potatoes, (I'm even trying a sweet potato) peas, beans, lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber, zucchini, beets, peppers, dill, cilantro, carrots.

I also have 2 apple trees, wild raspberry bushes, black berry bushes and a huge grapevine, speaking of which, do you know anything about grapevines??

If any of those types of seeds interest you, I'd be more than happy to pass a pile on to you !

Cowgirl

Holy salsa, Cowgirl! If all 136 of your tomato plants had survived, they would have yielded roughly 750 pounds of tomatoes!!! I hope you thanked your kids rather than punishing them.

I like Ken's Sweet Vidalia Dressing, too. Never thought of putting it in pasta salad. Thanks for the tip, coolchef.

Edited to remove extra zero. 7,500 pounds would have been really impressive!

Edited by Linda Z

I have a cute story about my son and tomatoes.

One year when he was little, I was on an organic gardening kick. I was out in the garden putting manure on the tomato plants when he strolled over, looked at me, looked at the bucket of manure, sniffed the air, made a face, and asked, "Mommy. Is that poop you're putting on those plants?"

"Why yes, it is, sweetie. It's called manure, and it makes the plants grow big and healthy."

He looked disgusted, and said, "Well, I'll never be eating tomoatoes again!"

He had the same reaction when he saw me making homemade sausage in the canning room at Rome City.

Today he eats both tomatoes and sausage.

Linda,

750 lbs of tomatoes!!! That is alot, LOLOL!!

Gives me an idea, they can always change the location of the "weenie roast" up to my neck of the woods, I'd aleast have enough tomatoes to go around!!

CHAS, this is just for you, after you've finished growing your tomato plants, in my opinion the best way to savor the taste of homegrown tomatoes!

1 ripe homegrown tomato

2 slices bread, preferably white farm or peasant

1 Tbsp. mayonnaise

Salt and pepper (optional)

Slice the tomato thickly - about as thick as a slice of bread. Spread the bread with mayonnaise. Place the tomato on one slice. Sprinkle with salt and a little pepper, if you like. Top with the other slice of bread. Cut the sandwich in half. Go outside and sit under a willow. Makes 1 sandwich.

tomatoes.jpg

Edited by Cowgirl

THAT IS TOO FUNNY!

The first time I ever bought tomato plants I bought exactly 39 plants, lovingly put them in the ground, put root starter in them, watered them as needed...

I had a picnic table in my back yard by the garden, and when those suckers started coming up, I had so many damned tomato's that they would cover this picnic table FULL every time I went outside to pick them. My friends and family were BEGGING me to please not try to give them any more tomato's. I was trying to give them away to strangers on the street. (I later had the bright idea to make tomato juice or stewed tomato's)...

MORAL OF THE STORY?

YOU WILL REAP...WHAT YOU SOW.

OR

FOR ALL YOU NON BIBLICAL FANS...

YOU WILL GET WHAT YOU GIVE

OR

FOR ALL OF YOU AGNOSTICS...

DAMN....THATS A LOAD FULL OF TOMATO'S.

GOOD LUCK, COWGIRL....

once i had too many tomatos and i would pick a bushel and bring them to the local fruit stand and swap them for a pound or more of whaterever they had extra

it worked

What a Mainer thing to do! Mainers will swap for anything!

=======================

I finally got the plants re-potted today, as it's rained so much I'm afraid to put them in the ground. They're on the deck, each in it's own 16" plant pot. I found I had nine plants. They sat for over a week on my farmer's porch and did fine, as the only days I could have replanted then were days that we weren't home. Anyhow, I think that with a little plant food, they should do okay...

Cowgirl.... an old indian trick about growin maters in a danger zone when yer dealin wif kidos an varmits...... plant them in an upside down 5 gallon bucket and hang emup to grow upside down...I recomend rutgers ferthis techninigue they makes tha best juice.///// Happy mater growin! Its really true love!

PS ,,,thats what ya could have done wif them sprouts that got bit off..

I don't recomend crusin mcdaonalds fer empty pickle buckets tho...togrow em in