GreaseSpot Cafe

Get Over It already

friscoguy05

I recently started going to counseling, as

certain people had been telling me for

a while: “Go. You’ll love it. It’ll be great,

etc.” So I finally did, and I’m not loving it.

It’s hard and it’s painful. It’s bringing up a

lot of stuff from my childhood that really

hurt me, but which I have never really

looked at or grieved. Well, I’m grieving

now, and it doesn’t feel so good. So why

am I doing it? Because I know it’s good for

me, even though it doesn’t feel good, and I

know it’s what I need. I also know that this

is what God wants for me. God promises

in His Word that, “Those who sow in tears

will reap with songs of joy” (Ps. 126:5).

Why is this? Why do I have to cry so

much to get healing? Aren’t I supposed

to just move on and live in the moment,

focusing on how blessed I am? I mean

everybody hurts, right? There’s no sense

focusing on it. Wrong. There’s a difference

between wallowing in depression and selfpity,

and seeking to face our brokenness

and be healed in a godly, healthy way.

We weren’t designed to just move on.

God created us to be sensitive and deep

emotional beings, which is an amazing

thing, but it also means that we are deeply

affected by our experiences, whether good

or bad. He knows that we will all be hurt,

and feel neglected and unloved at some

point in our lives.

This is why He encourages us in His

Word to mourn our losses, and to share

our burdens and brokenness with Him and

with others, knowing that He has made

deliverance possible. In Matthew 5:4 it

says, “Blessed are those who mourn, for

they will be comforted.” Mourning can be

a good thing. For the Israelites, mourning

was a necessary ritual. When a loved one

died, they would cry out loud and wail, tear

their clothes, and cover their heads with

dirt. Why? Because they knew grieving

was necessary in order to heal.

The Israelites were open with how

broken they were, and allowed themselves

to be comforted. We all need to be comforted

when we are hurting. We need others

For more info see The Sower at

http://stfonline.org/sower/current.html

Hi Friscoguy :wave: ,

I am one of the original Alameda girls :dance:

I am glad you think you have found a way to deal with the grief and loss and hurt in your life.

It seems like you have chosen to get your counseling from a twi spinoff-------are you sure that you will receive the best insight from another cult? It might be just what you need, but for me...........it would be just the same as calling up twi hq and asking to meet with ole rosie her self for grief counseling.

I hope it is what you need..............

Radar

Was Mark or John your counselor? Tell them both I said hi. I hope they or other believers at Spirit & Truth/ CES / Truth or Tradition/ Biblical Unitarian (or whatever name they are going by now) helped you. There are some good people involved.

Personally I have received a lot of counseling from some good posts here on Greasespot among other places and from awesome people like Radar.

But for my kind I fear all hope is lost. :biglaugh: I am fine with that.

John Richeson

Tampa, FL

Edited by igotout

Welcome to Grease Spot, Friscoguy05 - that was a great post...And you are right we need others. It helps to get another person's perspective on things. Speaking from my own experience - I had problems with depression before TWI, never dealt with it while in TWI. After leaving TWI I sought professional counseling - helped get me back on my feet. But there comes a point where I think you've got to work things out for yourself - in terms of nailing down the core issues and what you need to do - that you can't just take someone else's word for it - or adopt their perspective of your "problem." I'm into self-help books - a couple of good ones: Feeling Good: the New Mood Therapy by David Burns - gets into cognitive therapy...And another good book, More Than Redemption: A Theology of Christian Counseling by Jay E. Adams. In my opinion, a lot of critical thinking/reflective thinking is very therapeutic...And like Igotout - I too find a lot of great counseling/therapy here at Grease Spot!

Edited by T-Bone

im glad conseling is helping you.

yet i think grieving is very personal matter as is a person perspective of or where God fits in finding comfort and hope in life.

Some chose medicine and it works wonders for them.. others do different things when we begin to define what everyone must need to be healthy i think it can very easily turn into control, without any real human growth.

i have heard people say reflecting on the past and rerashing issues with family or friends has not helped but rather turned them into a angry pitiful person unable to see what life is for the day as well as your perspective.

I must have to much time on my hands .

This is bothering me so i think i will metion it.

this little commentary is from an article in the recent "SOWER" magazine. Sower is a magazine published by Spirit and Truth Ministry.

friscoguy has clipped a SECTION of what a leader in that organization written testimony for the magazine has said and put it on this site.

although he does not claim to be the author and says see the sower for more information and leaves a link .. i feel a little decieved.

the woman who wrote this uses her real name if you want to see who wrote this and the rest of what she has to say about it please go to the site and read HER writings.

The lady who wrote this has been on their teachings tapes .. is a leader in their ministry etc.

MY ISSUE is why not say this in the first place it seems to me this is a back door approach to something fishy.

granted it may be a mood swing on my part but i thought i would let you all know.

I started to say, yes, I'll agree to all that you said, but when I saw the Sower in the link, I thought but you don't need them to tell you this--they surely got it from a good book or one of them has gone or is in therapy and is just passing it on to their "little followers." Why not go to your own therapy from a qualified therapist and really get the help you need? You are certainly worth it, dear frisco :-)

If $$ is an issue, why not go to a clinic that does it on an income basis? I saw a Christian Couselor for over a year for $15 per time and trust me, it was worth it. They usually have the clinics on or near theological schools.

The one I went to got some flack from the denominations because this one was non-denominational and supposedly most of the professors at the seminary didn't believe Jesus is God. Imagine that!

Anyway, I'm just letting you know there is much more out ther, and yes, it does hurt when the past comes up. It also gets better with time. I wish you well :-)

Pond

You are saying that Friscoguy's whole first post here is just a section out of the SOWER where someone else wrote it?

If so, then Friscoguy did you post it here because you are the author of it? Or is it how you feel?

Cause, otherwise I agree with pond, its a bit strange.

Please elaborate. I like the post, but is it someone elses heart?

Thank you

HI EVERYONE,

GOOD BOOKS TO READ ON THIS SUBJECT OF BROKENESS ARE BY THE AUTHOR:

LIBERTY SAVARD

SHATTERING YOUR STRONGHOLDS AND BREAKING THE POWER

THESE WILL ABSOLUTELY CHANGE YOUR LIFE IF YOU ARE WILLING TO ALLOW GOD TO GET IN

TO YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND BRING HEALING AND DELIVERANCE TO YOUR LIFE.

YOU WON'T BE ABLE TO PUT THE BOOK DOWN..THERE IS SO MUCH TO GLEAN FROM

YOU CAN PURCHASE @ YOUR LOCAL BOOK STORE OR GO TO LIBERTYSAVARD.COM

THEY ARE ABOUT $12.00 EACH

BLESS YOU ALL AND HAVE A WONDERFUL DAY!

yes Dot

this is a direct word by word section of an article written by "Kristin Burke" titled "Godly Grieving"" God can turn our tears of sorrow into songs of joy."

It is in the may/june 06 sower magazine that STF generates.

Unless friscoguy is Kristin Burke he took the article and pasted it on greaspot to hear the replies .

Im not sure if it is right or wrong .. I just wanted the other posters to be able to read what eles Kristin Burke has to say about this topic as it is HER thoughts and sentiments and frisco guy only pasted some of it here.

yes Dot

this is a direct word by word section of an article written by "Kristin Burke" titled "Godly Grieving"" God can turn our tears of sorrow into songs of joy."

It is in the may/june 06 sower magazine that STF generates.

I don't know about you all -- but when I first saw how the post was formatted --

it was obvious to me that it was a *copy and paste* article, from somewhere else.

The STFI LINK confirmed that.

Some folks here have liked the post/article because of what it said.

So now it is *evil*, instead of beneficial??? Hmmmmmm.

Edited by dmiller

"It seems like you have chosen to get your counseling from a twi spinoff-------are you sure that you will receive the best insight from another cult? It might be just what you need, but for me...........it would be just the same as calling up twi hq and asking to meet with ole rosie her self for grief counseling."

I hope it is what you need..............

Gee Radar, you have such insight. So all spinoffs are cults and I guess you have visited each of them and gotten some great spiritual revelation. You are so critical, I think you should go for counselling. As for comparing TWI to any other spinoff, perhaps you should get to know them better before you mock good, God loving believers.

Amazing I have been so busy but I can come back 6 months later and you are still in the same negative frame of mind.

:nono5::rolleyes:

Edited by LornaDoone

I don't know about you all -- but when I first saw how the post was formatted --

it was obvious to me that it was a *copy and paste* article, from somewhere else.

The STFI LINK confirmed that.

Some folks here have liked the post/article because of what it said.

So now it is *evil*, instead of beneficial??? Hmmmmmm.

i like the article .

WHERE DO I CALL IT EVIL? HMMM?

OOOOOOO YEAH I do not you just acuse me of it . that is not nice maybe , but again not evil, just typical of greaspot.

Edited by pond

• 12 years later...

many moons later and I notice my post and people's responses

my apologies for not more clearly indicating that this was NOT my work but rather the words of someone else that I cut and pasted

I did provide a link to the Sower magazine at the time I originally posted it ,which would have shown my source, but I see that link is no longer valid

In any even, I know the person who wrote this, and still  highly agree with what she had stated.

10 hours ago, friscoguy05 said:

many moons later and I notice my post and people's responses

my apologies for not more clearly indicating that this was NOT my work but rather the words of someone else that I cut and pasted

I did provide a link to the Sower magazine at the time I originally posted it ,which would have shown my source, but I see that link is no longer valid

In any even, I know the person who wrote this, and still  highly agree with what she had stated.

About 150 moons later... :wink2:

On 11/3/2018 at 1:03 PM, Rocky said:

About 150 moons later... :wink2:

Wow!! I've been perusing the posts here lately and just saw this and thought hmmm....

the sower online page link came up "nothing found for Sower Current.html" which seemed ironic for a site with the slogan "Building an Enduring Work of Truth" and then I checked back on the start post date and realized this post was started on May 31, 2006......Bush Jr. was president.....and a year before the first iPhone was released. 

I thought about where I was and what I was doing in 2006. A year later I took a major career step, one that turned out very well. It was a very different time and place but even now when I read that I thought how odd, what's this person talking about? And I think if I'd read that in 2006, and maybe I did, I'd have thought the same thing.

I hope things have gone well, frisco person! Looooooooooooong time no see! Live well and prosper! 

Edited by socks
You'll get the message by the time I'm through, when I complain about me and you. I'm only happy when it rains.