GreaseSpot Cafe

Help! How do I get rid of small tree stumps?

Linda Z

Linda,

I'm so glad you started this thread. I've got a young tree someone planted 6" from the side of my house and I've needed to get it out of there. I was looking for an easy method (besides the yank by a 4-wheel drive, Geo) and thought to saw it down but also didn't know what to do with the stump.

Great suggestions. I think I'm going with the drill and the rock salt. I'll report back in a few mos.

J.

Thank you, Tom. :P

Next question: Where in the heck can I buy big copper nails? I've already tried the small hardware stores in my neighborhood and Home Depot. Nada.

I thought maybe a place that sells roofing supplies, because sometimes they put that copper flashing stuff on, but my dad thought they used short copper nails for that.

Any ideas?

Linda-

I don't expect a "large" copper nail is going to be very findable, And if you do, you will have great difficulty driving it into the center, hard part of a stump. Copper is very soft. Searching, I can't find any reason copper would be extremely adept at accomplishing your goal.

If you insist on trying that route, you might try a plumbing supply house, and ask for large copper pipehooks. these are used to hang copper pipe from joists etc. they can be found about 3 inches long, with a hook on one end. Perhaps predrilling a hole will allow you to, with luck after 3 or four bent hooks, get lucky on one of them.

Did I miss how long you are willing for this process to take? Allowing it to rot away will likely be a matter of many years.

Good luck. I appreciate you not wishing to use toxic compounds in the soils around you.

A three inch trunk at the base likely does not have much of a root system, and the roots are not likely very deep. Now that you have cut it off at the ground, putting a chain on it will be hard also. I suggest digging around it, and undermining it. Rent or find someone with an electric oscillating saw (often called a "sawzall") and hack away with it on as many of the roots as you can. They make a blade especially for cutting tree limbs and roots (it has large teeth).

Alternatively, remove as much dirt as you can from around it, and hack at it with a hatchet or axe. Wear goggles.

The thing is NOT that big!

HAP

Edited by HAPe4me

I'm sorry I misled you Linda. I really believe military grade explosives are your only option at this point. You may be able to get it with a trackhoe, but you would have to excavate your whole yard to get every root hair, or it will surely come back, and it will be angry then. Take no chances, blast it and rebuild. You will be better off in the long run.

Alternatively, remove as much dirt as you can from around it, and hack at it with a hatchet or axe. Wear goggles.

Lindzee... I know I said to get some beavers before... but I was only kidding (although I do think it would work)... but what Hap says is what I've always done... just get a hatchet or an axe and hack away all around them and on them...

Good point about copper being soft, especially since one of these little mothers is really hard wood.

So much for the grand experiment. I guess the hatchet thing could work, as long as I don't miss and knock holes in my foundation--or me! :dance:

Thanks again, everyone, for your input.

• 1 month later...

Ditto on perfect timing.

The summer storms have downed so many of our trees. Tree removal has been costly. The stumps are still in the ground and are varying sizes (I had to save money somewhere!)

I have at least six stumps to remove. Think I'll try all "practical methods" listed and see which one works the best.

I'll post the results when known.