GreaseSpot Cafe

Cars - Disney/Pixar

Since it seems like we're now living in the tropics of New Hampshire, as it rains 20 hours a day lately, I figured it was time to take Kristopher to his first movie last weekend. I'm not a movie critic and haven't really been up for seeing the latest and greatest since I was on staff at HQ - but...

Cars was a very predictable story (well... if you're at least in your 30's it is... it probably would be for most teenagers, if I can find one who will admit they've been to see it, I'll let you know.) It's about a hot-shot race car named Lightning McQueen, who's well on his way to racing stardom when he gets lost/side-tracked/arrested in the small town of Radiator Springs. The theme is about friendship and values - it's a simply story line.

With actors like Paul Newman, Owen Wilson, Larry the Cable Guy, Bonnie Hunt, Cheek Marin, George Carlin, Bob Costas, The Guys from Car Talk, and Richad Petty as the voices for just some of the characters, you can't help but feel familiar with the characters the moment they open their raidators to talk. Since this is a Pixar animation movie, it's full of lots of flash and glamor - and always very witty both visually and verbally. But somehow, you just KNOW what's going to happen next. The jokes are corney - what do you expect from characters who run on gas? - and the same with the soundtrack. Yup. Been there. Done that.

But what makes it good is watching it though the eyes of the kid you bring with you. Since it's rated G it's not hard to find a kid to take to the movie - any age will do. To them, it's fresh, exciting, and fun. It's not the same ol', same ol'. Not yet anyhow. It's worth seeing with the right sort of company - someone who thinks the jokes are great and the soundtrack rocks and wants to go back a second time (uh... there will be a video - I keep promising Kristopher we'll get the video!)

On a final note, it was rather appropro, to me at least, that this was Kristopher's first movie. I remember my first movie - also a car theme - it was Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.

I thought 'Cars' was much better than I thought it would be.

Most movies are predictable, especially these days.

What I couldn't predict was the progression from an 'in your face' racing movie, to a gentle , lovely story, told in a credible, entertaining way, with characters that should not have worked, but somehow do.

I went today with my 7 yr. old son. This movie had me close to tears. Let me explain. Route 66 was the way west for years and with it brought a lot of fun places to stop and see. It was enjoyed by many in it day. Then came along change and improvement to make life faster. Lost is the time, that is enjoyed by family to these exciting out of the way places. Time stood still or just died, and with it an America that was. I know this will always continue, but I am nostalgic and like the things of the past. To have seen or riden in a Hudson. Wow. I used to own a 62 Mercury Monterey. It was awesome. They just don't make them like they used to. Anyways, I encourage you to see the movie. It speaks to all ages. Enjoy!!!!

Fred and I went to see it (We didn't have grandchildren in tow, but thought it would be entertaining).

Ditto to the Route 66 memories.

Ditto to it would have been better with a child or two in tow.

What God did for us: We went to the drive in to see it, and right in front of us were two 1940s cars.

(Remember we live in Reno NV, and August is Hot August Nites, and we are in summer time and the living is maybe not so easy, but the souped up cars that live here are coming out for impromptu show-n-shine -- Hot August Nites is such a success here because many of these old cars live here and welcome the chance to strut their stuff.)

Anyway, it was nice to see how those two old cars just fit right in their spaces. Neat (in more ways than one.)

The nite was nice.

Fred and I went to see it (We didn't have grandchildren in tow, but thought it would be entertaining).

Ditto to the Route 66 memories.

Ditto to it would have been better with a child or two in tow.

What God did for us: We went to the drive in to see it, and right in front of us were two 1940s cars.

(Remember we live in Reno NV, and August is Hot August Nites, and we are in summer time and the living is maybe not so easy, but the souped up cars that live here are coming out for impromptu show-n-shine -- Hot August Nites is such a success here because many of these old cars live here and welcome the chance to strut their stuff.)

Anyway, it was nice to see how those two old cars just fit right in their spaces. Neat (in more ways than one.)

The nite was nice.

Kit --

That's cool about the old cars. A friend of mine and her boyfriend went to go see it on opening night with the Porsche club that he belongs to because there's a 911 in the movie (Sally). They don't have kids (I coulda loaned them mine) but they enjoyed themselves.

For me, it wasn't so much about the cars in the movie as the shopping list of stars who were in it doing the voices - I listen to Car Talk almost every weekend, and was thrilled to hear Click and Clack's voices - it was great! The whole movie is almost a "who's who" in voices!

Hubby and I took our two kids on opening day. We went to the earlier show so it wasnt really that crowded. My son enjoyed the cars; my daughter enjoyed the pretty girl car and the romance behind the story; my husband, being a musician, enjoyed the music; and I, being a graphic artist, enjoyed the graphix. So there was something for everyone.

I give it a two thumbs up! :beer:

MC