GreaseSpot Cafe

How do you break up a dog fight?

RottieGrrrl

Ex, what a cool link! Thanks for finding it and posting it!

We have two dogs and enjoy taking them to the dog park. The dogs love going as well. We have not had any problems with fighting yet, but it has been a bit of a concern. Our Husky is pretty well behaved these days but she has been known to be aggressive.

I also found the information about male/male or female/female pairing, in terms of owning more than one dog, very interesting. We have one male and one female, good thing too from the sounds of it. This explains why my male, who has always been dominate with the other dogs in the neighborhood, does not fight for dominance with our newer female dog. I had thought it was because he was getting old and just didn't have it in him anymore.

I haven't finished reading yet, but I'm wondering if neutered dogs also get along better than ones who are not. We have a neighbor who has a very large german shepard. He plays well with my male dog and I'm wondering if this is in part because they are both neutered.

To every man his own truth and his own God within.

Very interesting discussion, and interesting link, ExC. I don't agree with everything the guy says, but the stuff on dogfights was good.

My Emma (40 lbs soaking wet but has that vice-grip terrier mouth) isn't aggressive toward other dogs when we're out and about, but when she's in our fenced yard, she growls and barks at everyone.

A neighbor comes by to talk over the fence sometimes, and Emma sits there and snaps and snarls at her dog the whole darn time. And it's true, when she's really riled up I dare not reach for her collar to pull her back, because she doesn't even know it's me she's snapping at. Judging from the article on that Web site, I'm lucky she didn't rearrange my hand or arm.

One thing I don't agree with from that site is not letting my dog sleep in my bedroom. She's very alert to noises and very protective of me. At the very least she'd let me know if anyone tried to break in, and she'd probably take an intruder's face off if he came after me. I don't think she'd be much help in a crate or in another room.

Linda

Linda, I have to read more off the site I guess. My rottie sleeps in my bed with me. Yeah I'd like to see some masher break into my window at night. tee hee. Wouldn't that be fun?

babyrott60percent.gif

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender,your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." Unknown

I want to know more about these dog parks...

do they have little doggie picnic tables?

do they have doggie slides, swings or jungle gyms?

do they have little doggie merry-go-rounds?

do they sell doggie snow cones?

tell me more! please!

I looked behind the curtain and saw that it was bad

Tom, I will tell you about dog parks. But I don't know if you are razzing me or not. You can go to www.dogpark.com

babyrott60percent.gif

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender,your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." Unknown

mmmm. I dunno Tom. Did you check out the link? It's a fairly cool link.

babyrott60percent.gif

i never read anything but key points in the dog fight article.... so i have no idea

i have a male and female dog. my female only likes males and god was good enough to have our nextdoor neighbors move (they were mean) and they had a lovely female who my female hated but my male loved

our doggies sleep in the beds. it grosses me out..... and i love it.....

do you think in heaven we can have hairless dogs and ones with nice breath

"our doggies sleep in the beds. it grosses me out..... and i love it....."

Tell me about it. Last night Emma "cut the cheese," and I thought I'd die.

"do you think in heaven we can have hairless dogs...."

I don't know why they aren't all hairless now, as much as they shed!

"... and ones with nice breath"

Only if there are no kitty litter boxes to raid in heaven.

OMG. When Nico blows them she can clear a room. It's like a powerful weapon. And then she looks at her rock hard butt and is like "did i do that?" omg it's so funny.

I think we could start an entire thread on dog gas. (trying to be clean here,icon_wink.gif;)-->

babyrott60percent.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I have a friend at work who was sitting with her daughter's dog for a while. On the last day she had the dog, she fed it a leftover barrito from Taco Bell. Later that day when the daughter was taking the dog back home, the barritos wanted back out. And in the close quarters of the car, the daughter was just about to die.

My friend was in tears from laughter when she was telling us this story.

Y3K -- Start Early

I live back in the woods near the end of that dirt road where all you city folks come and dump your unwanted dogs.

From time to time I'll hear Lucky (my dog) getting into a fight with some stray and I've found the best remedy is my 12 guage pump which I keep by the front door.

So far it's broken up fights with a black chow, a pit bull and a few others.

Very effective.

Don't take your dog walkies without one.

We have four boxes used to guarantee our liberty:

The soap box, the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box

"The Constitution of most of our states (and of the United States) asserts that all power is inherent in the people; that they may exercise it by themselves; that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed." -Thomas Jefferson

greatseal.gif

DEO VINDICE!!

Ron G.