GreaseSpot Cafe

The Passion

chwester

Just found this whilst rummaging in the Cafe in an unfamiliar place...

So, of you who have now seen the movie, which has been out for a while now, what did you think? What do you think now, perhaps some time after you've seen it?

Not wholly accurate, but nothing like the saccharin version usually portrayed either.

As others have said: stunned silence, gripping, sombering, intense, profound.

More respect than ever for what JC did, for the many wounds he bore on behalf of all of us.

Respect for Mel Gibson, for wearing his heart on his sleeve too.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 8 months later...

Our church showed "The Passion" on Good Friday this year. It is the third time I have seen it.

I noticed tiny details....in one scene, Jesus looks up and sees a white dove fluttering against the shining sun. Symbol of Holy Spirit.

The first time I saw it was the most emotional for me. I was still close enough to my TWI exit to be keen on Biblical accuracy. In the first few scenes, when Jesus looks down, sees the serpent, and stomps it, I pumped my fist and said "YES!" much too loudly.

The second time was equally breathtaking.

The third time I was impressed by the portrayal of Jesus's humanity. The human side of him suffered unimaginably, physically, mentally and spiritually.

I also came away with a huge appreciation of His mom. I don't worship her or anything, but how many 14-year-old girls do YOU know who have said "Be it unto me according to Thy Word?"

Interesting that when she and Mary Mag. awake, the first words they speak are the initial question and answer that begin the Seder, the Passover meal. The Passover of all Passovers had begun.

WG

I did not mind the subtitles at all because I was already reading between the lines.

I don't remember the specific title to the PFAL session but it was the one that taught about the death burial and resurrection.

After that session I stood up and clapped. Embarrassing? somewhat. But I could not contain myself.

Then when I saw the movie I knew where it was going. I was so overcome with emotion that I sobbed like I would imagine that Peter did.

For those who understand WHY Jesus did it and what we have gained because of it can probably forgive Mel for any anomalies in the movie.

I recall the song by Stevie Kay Louis..Oh the price He paid.

In my eyes I was nothing to no one

But in His eyes I reigned as a King

I found I was worth all the treasures on earth

To God I'm worth everything.

I'm standing today where all the winners have lost

I'm counting God's blessings their counting their costs

I finally won....but it cost God His Son.

Oh the price He paid for me.