GreaseSpot Cafe

questions for dog experts

Abigail

Dot,

I've never heard of giving a cat vaseline, nor have I tried it. Seems to me, something like that, which I don't think humans are supposed to eat, would not be particlarly good for a cat either. If she wants to go that route, I would suggest vegetable oil instead of vaseline.

Wild cats eat grass, the grass makes them vomit but also gets the fur balls out. The ointment which can be purchased at pet supply stores makes it pass out the other end. I have no idea what is in it.

To every man his own truth and his own God within.

Dot, checked out the links....no stores near here, however the good news is, even with shipping the prices are pretty compreble to the fancy regular stuff...and that includes shipping!

On another note, regarding the vaseline, my grandmother bred dogs, Newfies and Black Standard Poodles....beautiful big dogs both...and she always gave them a finger full of vaseline everynight before bed...they could be at the other end of the house and when they heard her open her bedside table....they came running...used ta' gross me out, she said they loved it and it kept them regular, course this was a women who put fish oil on her dog's food ions before most of us ever knew it was so good for us...

As for shaving -- one of our Dogs..named "Happy" is a Husky, Retriever cross...with coat that looks like Lassie with a Husky face. He gets shaved!...and LOVES it. He wants us to scratch him more....cause he can feel it finally. There is no way--in this hot New Mexico heat I would not shave him, unless I could not afford it....HOWEVER, we do keep him out of the sun (more or less) the first week or so...sunburn on that skin that usually never sees the light of day.

WW

Store

Store Area

Bow Wow Blues

Albuquerque

La Mananita Co-Op

Albuquerque

Lucky Dog Dog Wash

Albuquerque

PEDIGREE PET GROOMING

ALBUQUERQUE

Scot's Grooming & Pet Supplies

Albuquerque

South Valley Solid Gold

Albuquerque

The Willow Branch

Albuquerque

Town & Country Tack

Albuquerque

Dot Matrix

The Big Guy Supplies

11 Via Cecilia NE

Albucuerque

NM

505 828-1411

Paw's N' Claws

1720 Juan Tabo NE Ste 1

Albucuerque

NM

505 299-1713

Shaggy Dog#1

2418 Southern Ste D

Rio Rancho

NM

505 891-1511

Clarks Pet Emporium

11200 Menaul NE

Albuquerque

NM

505 292-6288

Clarks Pet Emporium

4914 Lomas NE

Albuquerque

NM

505 268-5977

New Mexican Kennels

4401 Yale NE

Albuquerque

NM

505 344-0158

Dan's Boots & Saddles

6903 4th St NW

Albuquerque

NM

505 345-2219

Farmers Feed II

1510 Deborah Rd

Rio Rancho

NM

505 892-9118

Critters Pet Store

4300-E Ridgecrest S.E.

Rio Rancho

NM

505 892-7070

Hope it helps!!!!

Dot Matrix

• 1 month later...

Okay---had to post an update, Got the new Canidae dog food, on the 30th of June.---today is the 17th of July...so almost 3 weeks. My old dog is a real testiminy to the change in food quality. She has had bad breath for about 2 years now....no teeth rotting or anything, just lousy breath. SHE DOES NOT HAVE BAD BREATH ANYMORE---I was amazed. she used to scratch her back like a horse and wiggle, stopped doing that about a year ago, started doing that again. Overall, she is definately friskier and happier. The younger dog is even more frisky, but the older dog has had measurable changes for the better...just had to follow up on this and tell ya'll 'bout it.

Thanks for the update washington. I followed Dot's recipe, and it is a great recipe, but it is a lot of work. I wanted to just try Canidae. I looked on there website and I called the store nearest to me (Wheaton) and I was told they didn't have it or was out of stock or something like that. I have a feeling I was talking to somebody who didn't know much or was a newbie or something so I'm going to have to check into that again.

Oh yeah, I have been putting the vitamins into her dog food though, but I am definately going to try to get my hands on the Canidae again. Thanks for the update.

babyrott60percent.gif

"I wonder if other dogs think poodles are members of a weird religious cult."

-- Rita Rudner

rottmotorbike.gif

Hi, Abigail! What ever happened with your pee problems? Great advice on this thread. Did any of it work?

My 10 year-old Bulldog will go in the house if I do anything to change his routine. Feed him at a different time especially if I feed him after 5:00, go to bed too early, sleep in too late. Sometimes if I don?t walk with him down the drive he will sit by the back door and just wait for me to let him in. He hates winter too, and I live in New Orleans!!! Go figure. So in the winter I have to make him go out and watch him pee.

I think what happens with Cappy is that since he is trained, he goes outside and wasn?t getting any reinforcement that he is a good dog. Then I sleep in too late, he can?t or won?t hold it and goes in the kitchen or the hall. Since he doesn?t get any feed back here either he somehow thinks it is OK.

Anyway, how is it going with yours?

Dot, I never did change dog food. Still on Eukanuba. Although I did go from maintenance to senior. Three of my four are 10 and above. Jesse will be eight and he is a giant breed. They are in pretty good health considering.

Jesse