GreaseSpot Cafe

We're off to OHIO........

WhiteDove

Ok maybe it's the heatwave or the flies, but it's that time of year when I feel like I should be planning a drive.

It's been 20 years since I have been there, But it like this internal clock goes off..

I met a girl who sang the blues and I asked her for some happy news but she just smiled and turned away, I went down to the sacred store where I'd heard the music years before but the man there said the music wouldn't play and in the streets the children screamed, the lovers cried, and the poets dreamed but not a word was spoken, the church bells all were broken and the three men I admire most, the Father, Son, and the Holy Ghost, they caught the last train for the coast, the day, the music, died, and they were singin...

(American Pie)

post-1237-1153295668_thumb.jpg

post-1237-1153296233_thumb.jpg

post-1237-1153296535_thumb.jpg

Edited by WhiteDove

I've heard anniversaries can be the hardest on us and sometimes we don't even realize that it's affecting us. I know the 1 year anniversary of my divorce and leaving TWI was a time of incredible turmoil and some pretty scary, dramatic, unsettling thoughts, feelings and events.

I suppose that continues to ebb and flow in our memories with some years being better than others.

I love hearing about the good times before the music died. :)

Dude! Is that you boogeying down front in that middle pic?

MORE PICS!!!! :D

Since I never attended ROA, I don't feel this memory. Sometimes I am sad about this...most of the time I am very thankful for never attending ROA...because I know that I would never have left twi if I had made that strong of ties to that many people.

I am truly amazed and impressed that you seem to have weathered it all with your heart for others still whole.

Edited by CoolWaters

White Dove,

I have been feeling that ol' itch myself (road trip! road trip!) but I've never linked it to my annual treks to Ohio. You could be right. It could have gotten imprinted on my brain that I must travel in early August.

What year are those pics from? (before my time, certainly)

My first Rock was 1981. Still, some decent times back then.

Sweat like crazy. Get rained out. Help everyone reset their tents. (repeat)

Easy way to re-capture the feeling, White Dove.

Go to your local Farmer's Market and buy a few bushels of unhusked corn. In your backyard, lay the corn out in a big circle. Wet the inside of the circle enough to stir up some mud (make sure to dampen the corn, too).

Get into your three-piece suit and dress shoes. At the hottest point of the day, put on a "Selah" (or Joyful Noise, if you prefer) album and go dance in the mud. It would be appropriate to be chomping on a turkey leg or big, greasy hamburger while out there.

After a song or two, you will rush inside to your air-conditioner and thank God it's twenty years later.

"Those were the days, my friend, we thought they'd never end, we'd sing and dance, forever and a day......"

:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Yeah-sometimes I miss it too...... :confused:

Easy way to re-capture the feeling, White Dove.

Go to your local Farmer's Market and buy a few bushels of unhusked corn. In your backyard, lay the corn out in a big circle. Wet the inside of the circle enough to stir up some mud (make sure to dampen the corn, too).

Get into your three-piece suit and dress shoes. At the hottest point of the day, put on a "Selah" (or Joyful Noise, if you prefer) album and go dance in the mud. It would be appropriate to be chomping on a turkey leg or big, greasy hamburger while out there.

After a song or two, you will rush inside to your air-conditioner and thank God it's twenty years later.

"Those were the days, my friend, we thought they'd never end, we'd sing and dance, forever and a day......"

:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

LOL...... :)

And, if you want to recapture those moments and feelings from just over THIRTY YEARS AGO.....drive to a small town in mid-August. Make sure that the county fair has just concluded and that there are two or three open-sided buildings where hogs, sheep and cattle were penned-up for the 4-H judging competition.

Now that you've found the sentimental setting of a 1974 ROA......take some time to breathe deeply. With a little sweat and work, clean out the old straw and manure, and bring in some fresh bales to spread around and sit on. Be sure to bring your cassette player and a couple of old twi music tapes.

Hopefully, the flies will be buzzing around to make the experience complete. And, what the heck......pitch a pup tent for a couple of nights and stay awhile. With any luck at all.....a good, hard rain will soak you to the bone.

It's good to be home again.....been away too long. :dance:

Aye Chihuahua, Whitedove.

If you're in the mood for a road trip, come on down to Houston. We got heat and flies aplenty. If it makes you feel better, instead of staying at my house, we can share a hotel room, at the S&W clone here.

And J will put you on burger detail, running the grill. And I'll rent a cushman and be the gofer for bags of ice. :D

The only nostalgia I feel about the ROA is for the early years. Oh, and for that rush of hearing Ambassador One buzz the big top. I loved that.

My first ROA was 1972, and I thought I'd died and gone to heaven. It was like a love-in (you youngsters, ask your parents) with actual love. Everyone helped each other, gave each other stuff. We danced, we laughed, we cried, we waved holy hands. And there wasn't a three-piece suit or a dress to be seen anywhere!! Mud? No problem. Something to play in!

Topsy, that's a very funny simulation of camping at the Rock. In later years I used to think, "Okay, either have me camp or have me dress up...not both!!

Edited by Linda Z

From 1975, to 1985 -- ROA was the plan.

I still think of that -- from time to time.

The early years were the good ones.

1985 -- Docvic's memorial --

I drove onto the *grounds* -- and knew it would be my last time there. Ever.

Now ROA is gone.

They might claim to be *biblical research, and teaching* --

but the *fellowship* aspect I knew many years ago ---

is long gone. :(

The only nostalgia I feel about the ROA is for the early years.

Yeah.......when it was fun-loving, great music, few rules, sleep late, and lots of spontaneity.

With each passing year....the numbers grew, more corps/caste system, rules brought conformity, and constant teachings snuffed out the heart and fellowship of those early ROA. Imo, by 1980......crowd management and conformity were the marching orders for us corps at these events. Yep, the last 15 Rocks were mostly a mixed bag of same ole, same ole.

And, when corps week was added.....to bring in the corps labor force to put the finishing touches on the roa grounds, it was "a different animal." The corporate chain of command replaced all those warm n' fuzzy feelings in the early 70s.

Guess I stayed too long.......because into the 90s, all that nostalgia was choked by a scream-fest of corps week confrontation.

Gee, for a moment I expected Steve and Bev Strick singing "We're off on our way to Ohio(we shall not be moved with Ted and gang in background). Come on down to foot hills of western North Carolina to southern

part of Catawba County near Startown/Newton, Maiden, and Lincolnton. We have some semi-flat valley areas, farm land(corner of Startown and Biggerstaff Roads) with plenty of woods, but with some pretty hills.

Welcome to the Rock of Ages 2006! It's good to be home again. O my Gawd, I think the devil spirit of Wierwille just temporary possed(SIC) me . Wow. LOL. Oh, it's now CD's not tapes. Personally I prefer Rebecca St. James, David Crowder, and John Tesh. :who_me:

Edited by Thomas Loy Bumgarner

Stop you guys are killing me!

Belle- you mean it gets worse it's not even August yet?

Cool- no that is not me but I did dance in that very spot if that counts.....

Highway - the picts were from 72,73

Topie - You are bad! Actually I don't recall it raining in 73 one of the few years it did not. No mud but I did end up sleeping in the cattle barn in the Sidney fairgrounds. By the time I got to the tent it seems it was full of people I did not know.... Memo to fellow campers it is only a 8 person tent . we each can't invite everyone( and I do mean everyone) that needs a place to sleep ...... Thankfully they had brought some hay down from Hdqts for all us sleeping in the sheep barn, and actually as it turned out I met some really cool people and I had the best time in the hay there.... Don't ask! What happens in the hay stays in the hay........

Sky - funny you should mention that (See Above)

Tommy - I thought the record was "There's a place"( for Paul Vergilio).... you can find him anywhere!

Ex- my dear friend , I'll consider your offer if you will setup a full meal tent on your lawn and make me work double shifts mixing up that tasty powdered Kool aid. I live for taking my only vacation time to do this, may I have an extra shift? please sir......

Toppie- your pushing it..........

Linda - Yeah what Linda said........ "My first ROA was 1972, and I thought I'd died and gone to heaven. It was like a love-in (you youngsters, ask your parents) with actual love. Everyone helped each other, gave each other stuff. We danced, we laughed, we cried, we waved holy hands. And there wasn't a three-piece suit or a dress to be seen anywhere!! Mud? No problem. Something to play in! "

Sigh........

Singing and music by the campfire under the stars..............

Oh and there we were all in one place, a generation lost in space with no time left to start again....

(American Pie)

Edited by WhiteDove

Oh my.

I had a call from an ex-twi friend (whose life pretty much came to a halt when the nefarious twi was exposed). I hadn't heard from in years.

It must have been because his internal clock was hoping for travel plans for getting to his happy good-food-good-fellowship-good-fun roa.

So sad that so much happiness has been torn out of our lives.

Judgement day will be good. Very good. I think.

What a time of nostalgia..............campfire under the stars, singing and laughing, dancing, and playing in the hay. Good music and it was like a love-in. Alot of great people, willing to give and share......

Capturing these youthful moment......could apply to a number of different settings in my life.

Oh, the longing to go back to those youth-filled fun days.

Now ROA is gone.

is long gone.

David, the "biblical research" aspect is also gone. All they do now is re-read the same teachings with the occasional new "incident" thrown in for good measure. :yawn1:

~~~ from Belle:
from dmiller:

Now ROA is gone.

is long gone.

David, the "biblical research" aspect is also gone. All they do now is re-read the same teachings with the occasional new "incident" thrown in for good measure. :yawn:

Belle -- I know!

That's why the words biblical research and teaching are in * * marks. ;)

(my middle name should be facetious!)

:biglaugh:

Edited by dmiller