GreaseSpot Cafe

Fools for owning a home?

Paid $xxx,xxx. originally

Current value is $90k more than we originally paid (and rising)

Fixed interest rate is 5.5%

Monthly payment right at $1,000.

Will be paid for in 10 years or less.

We were called ?foolish? by our region leadership, Rev Bob M., a few years ago for refusing to sell so that we could rid ourselves of this horrible debt?

Can someone again please explain TWI?s twisted logic to me??

Bob and his wife still rent to this very day. I am sure their rent on their much smaller "attatched townhouse" is about the same or more than our mortgage payment.

We were told "the borrower is slave to the lender". But our lender has not enlaved us in the least. Yet they are slave to the whims of the landlord. He has the right to raise the rent each year. He will one day sell and they will have to move again. They have more than paid for the landlords mortgage payments and repairs, but they own no interest in the property they have lived in for years.

Will they still be paying rent through their fast approaching retirement years?

Who is the good steward and who is the foolish steward?

I be confused!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Help!!!!!!!!!!!

John Richeson

Tampa, FL

Igotout:

I agree with you wholeheartedly. There is much more satisfaction in paying off a home which will be completely yours than paying rent to someone who is getting the adavantage of homeownership. It makes so much more sense.

BTW, I've seen B&D M's townhouse. It's pretty darn elaborate for a man who is paid by abs. I didn't see the average joe believer in Tampa living that way.

Kind words can be short and easy to speak, but their echoes are truly endless.

igotout,

Another one of those areas where twi is clueless. It seems to me that they've painted themselves into a corner when lcm, don and howard went public with their "controlling the corps" opinions. This advice is BAD.....but they're sticking to it.

So thankful that I jumped on board the homeownership bandwagon and plan to have my house completely paid for in ten years!

Wonder what twi's doctrine will be in ten years from now??? And, I wonder how many more corps are going to be scratching their heads wondering how they ever followed such bullshxx from the bot?

Maybe this explains why I recently heard that Michael Fxxx has requested to step away from full-time twi employment. He wants to run a branch [and get his OWN job and tuck away his OWN money for his OWN retirement].

How many clergy and corps and faithful have to EXIT TWI'S DOORS for people to awake from this spiritually slumbering slobbering stuff???

Fresh

We own.

We have been owners since 1985. We own multi-family propertys (one apartment or house intended for my family to live in, and two to five other apartments or houses for renters to live in).

In some locations we have had fellow beleivers living in some of those apartments / homes, while we were running twigs in our home.

I dont recall leadership (while on their dreaded occassional trips through the area) ever mentioning that it was a bad idea. More often then not, when we did see a corpse, it was from a phone call, that some corpse was on the road and needed a place to stay overnight, while traveling on to some other area. I dont recall any of those 'traveling' corpse, ever saying anything bad about us owning these propertys.

I certainly dont deny this policy from TWI. It does sounds like something that LCM once said and then later Heaven and Earth had to be moved to accomodate his "New Wine".

I certainly recall the teachings about eliminating debt. To a large degree, I agree with the idea that many people in our society, carry too much debt. It is a bad thing for someone's financial planning, to carry lots of debt and to be paying interest. I keep credit cards, as I see that having them is a good thing for emergencys. We pay them off each month, so we do not have to pay interest charges.

We have always tithed. Not always to TWI, of course.

We carfully budget, are educated about finance, and we actively prepare our tax-planning for each year. I was married and made $30K/annum when we bought our first property.

You are not fools for owning your own home.

I would only say that perhaps you would have been better off by purchasing 'income property'.

Otherwise you have done wonderfully. You kept your future in focus and protected your family's investment.

Galen

ET1 SS - USN Retired,

Knight of the Rose Croix,

Knight of the order of St Andrew,

Pilgrim of the Ancient Arabic Order Nobles of the mystic shrine.

shclogocolor.gif

"I live in the spirit of prayer. I pray as I walk, when I lie down, and when I rise. And the answers are always coming. Tens of thousands of times have my prayers been answered. When once I am persuaded that a thing is right, I go on praying for it. the great point is never to give up till the answer comes. The great fault of the children of God is, they do not continue in prayer, they do not persevere. If they desire anything for God's glory, they should pray until they get it." - George Mueller

Some of these guys have waited a long time before realizing that the advice they were given, couched in irrelevant bible verses from another era in another culture, was inappropriate for our day and time.

It's a shame that so many followed that lame advice. Untold millions in collective equity has been lost. But "unbelieveing" landlords all over America have enjoyed the benefits.

Another case of "Your Abundant Sharing at Work"

2 Corinthians 12:14 says...I will not be burdensome to you: for I seek not yours, but you: for the children ought not to lay up for the parents, but the parents for the children.

Igotout: Plus, you are laying up for your children. Those who follow twi debt doctrine are clearly NOT in alginment and harmony with this verse because they will be leaving NOTHING to their children.

And by the way, the word ought in this verse is the same as their precious owe in Rom 13. If Romans 13:8 is a "must follow" law and pre-requisite for being a leader, why isn't laying up for your children just as much of a "must follow" law and pre-requisite for being a leader?

Oh, I forgot the bot will tell the wayfers which verses are really important and which ones they can ignore. Good old ever-changing twi doctrine! Maybe 2Cor 12:14 will become the doctrine of the day in 10-20 years or so.

Napkinlady

Fold TWI, Fold!

Welcome back yougothope!!

But doesn't ye bible, and even our fodder in the vaudeville, say something about God having given us (past tense) prudence, good sense ???

This physical stuff is just that; physical stuff. Nuthin' too spiritual about home ownership, toilet paper, matches, crayolas, etc. I don't think God has to tell us whether or not to feed the pets, bathe and clothe the kids, put gas in the car.

But home ownership, can't you see that this is a spiritual matter???

Anyone can get by, having millions in the bank or in investments. It takes GUTS, COMMITMENT, SPIRITUAL WISDOM, to live on $6.50 an hour, with no devilish bank account, travelling light so as to be able to go WOW .....

Where's your heads, people!!!!!

TWI was in debt several times. Since they aren't accountable to anyone for their finances they may even still be in debt for all we know.

More and more WC will probably start realizing that they don't have anything to help them have a nice, comfortable retirement and will try to get assignments that will allow them to start building for retirement and college educations.

The future can be scary if you don't have enough money tucked away. If you don't buy a house you will need to have a lot of money tucked away and TWI's retirement plan is so pathetic that they won't have enough money to live on when TWI kicks them out of the nest.

igotout

I was the only one in the branch to own my own home and when the FC's found this out, it was suggested that I allow other single believers to share in my prosperity so they could live a more prosperous life.

The single believers that wanted to live with me wouldn't pay their own expenses and had been evicted from their apts., had their telephone service terminated, no car insurance and ate romaine noodles every meal. They were arrogant and could not hold down a job for any length of time.

I finally said NO...I enjoy and prefer my privacy....

I said NO....

Kaylene,

As an employer who has hired a variety of believers, Corps, Reverends, unbelievers, and non-twi christians, WOW's, etc. I could speak with authority about some of this.

Bottom line is, it really did not matter how much of the "word" they knew or even how much they "applied" by TWI standards.

Bottom line is those who worked hard and were dilligent and applied themselves to the task at hand were successful. Those who did not, sucked at their jobs, made little money and were a pain in the axx.

I've learned that talk is cheap. I want to see real life results. God does not get the job done. He's busy doing His own job.

Lets put it this way. I have had a lot of lousy workers who prayed a lot, read the bible a lot and were successful in their TWI world. But they were lousy workers and poor with making a living and managing their finances.

On the other hand, some of the most outstanding and successful workers I have ever had were TWI believers. Some amazed me with their dilligence, attention to detail and unbelievable work ethic.

TWI involvement, Corps position, status in TWI, etc. did not really matter.

Right now two of my best workers are total oppposites from one another. One has been in prison and is a reformed alchoholic and drug abuser. The other is a Corps grad (who left TWI in 2000 during the LCM scandal.) Both are outstanding. Both make big bucks. Both are my good friends.

Oh, and while we are on the subject. In TWI II I would have been kicked out immediately if they had known that I employed "cop outs". But we hid it from them for years icon_biggrin.gif:D-->. They kicked out so many people through the years that they did not remember who was who. icon_wink.gif;)-->

In fact TIW II leadership frowned on the hiring of unbelievers as well.

If one of the "household believers" that were working for me were kicked out or left TWI, it was expected of me to get rid of that person.

Rev. Paul Gixxx here in Tampa, the branch coordinator, 6th Corps grad, who is still in TWI, came right out and told me that I should fire Jeff Richarxx. Jeff had been a valued employee for 15 years when Paul kicked him out for having a very messy apartment upon several surprise unannounced visits to Jeff's place.

Paul was mad when I said I would have to think about it. Of course I did not follow his stupid and unethical advice. Jeff is still a valued employee to this day.

John Richeson

Tampa, FL