GreaseSpot Cafe

mel gibson

excathedra

I think it's because of his movie about Christ. There was all kinds of hooplah about the movie being anti-semitic and then here he is drunk off his foot, insulting all the Jews in the world. It's like the ultimate hipocracy. Otherwise, it probably wouldn't have been AS much a big deal.

But, then again, remember when Wynona Judd's mug shot for her DUI was published all over the country? People LOVE dirty laundry - especially when it's related to the "infallible famous". :rolleyes:

I think it is about the passion of christ movie and because he is famous.

He was in a "deal" for a movie about the holocust, they dropped him )good idea)

he has many children and has a "problem" and is in rehab now so all is good.

how come when everyday people go into rehab it is a bad thing and carries a stigma... but when a acotr goes in rehab they are heros and good examples?

Edited by pond

Amazed that I venture a response to this, but...

We are a fat and sassy culture -wonderful, awesome, compassionate, and myriad other greatness by design - but fat and sassy, wallowing in the blessings of liberty (that was the Hayes Gahagen class btw). spoon-fed eloi, often. I love us (U.S.), make no mistake, and I appreciate the inherent potential for greatness we (generally) harbor, so no yadda yadda on that count, please...but yikes! We love our drama lol. Me? My specialty is righteous indignation...lol.

Sheesh...what an intro...

The fact is, Mel Gibson got his tit in a wringer and hollered. Never mind the content, or right or wrong of it. He was busted for infracting the law we are all subject to, and his celebrity hung him.

That he had harsh words, ugly, wrong, prejudiced, biased, or whatever should never have been at issue for the public to gobble and choke on...altho we do...me do too...I hate me...lol.

I don't think MG's intent was to snag that DUI opportunity to make his sotted opionion public. I think he was a drunk guy who let blathered fermented sentiments booze out and win the day. A shame on all counts.

No one knows that better than him, I dare say. His own personal Gallipoli revisited.

The ticket buying public loves to catapult people to icon status...loves to...and it also loves to kick the slats out from underneath them...cuz then, somehow, someway, we (they, the public) feel in control...ceptin' our platform to rage, verbate, or intelligently, lovingly conversate doesn't usually rock the world or make international news status. We are relegated to websites, blogs, kitchen table convo, or I come to the garden alone discourse with our god(s) or loved ones...oh yes, and bars...lol...bars are great platforms for world crisis resolutions or blanket blames :)

I have no opinions...lol...maybe caffeine is in order.

X

M

So Mel got a DUI. So he said some hideous things. It causes me to see Mel as more human. God Bless the man I say. I saw "Passion." boring. didn't move me. right in the middle of a gory beating of the Christ I heard an older woman whisper to her adult daughter, "after this let's get tacos."

Mel made, what, close to 700 million world wide on "Passion"? A lot of people went to see it. I think the film was a movement of God in his heart.

My prayer is that he takes all that money and makes the Ultimate film on the Book-of-Acts. Can you imagine? A no-holds-barred movie of the rise and expansion of the first century church. WOW. O Mel can't you do that for us? all that $$$ sitting around in boxes in the garage...do for Saint Paul what you did for Lord Jesus.

As for your DUI. Thank God you didn't kill someone. You are human and I forgive you. Now go make my dream movie about PAUL!! :dance:

Ya know, I wonder if all this whitewashing of 'Mad Max's' reputation would be so forthcoming and "but he's human and we are ALL *sinners*! ((sob))" and the like, ... if he put out flicks that were humanist, atheist, left-wing, Bush challenging (how about if it was Micheal Moore? Anybody??), and etc.

... Somehow I seriously doubt it. Hell, even a good number of the so-called 'left-leaning and Jewish' producers wouldn't initially jump on Gibson's case until that one writer exposed their hypocrisy in this situation. <_< And this was even considering his "Passion of the Christ" that many in Hollywood (supposedly, allegedly) hated. Many of them still stuck up for good ol' Mel.

I guess if you put yourself on a pedestal you have to really watch what you do once you get up there...

Or at least be careful of who might be looking up your kilt. :biglaugh:

God only knows what I would say after a bottle of tequila!

Me too, Radar. I might even get sloppy for the 'good old days' in TWI.

But only if it's Patron. :)

I think it's time for him to retire.

Ever since seeing his stiff and totally unconvincing role in "The Patriot" I've had little interest in his performances.

His comments were reprehensible. And so was gettin so drunk that he could make them. Not to mention driving 80+ in a 45 mph zone.

Jim said:

His comments were reprehensible. And so was gettin so drunk that he could make them.

Ah, but there's the rub. If reports are correct, his Breathalyzer score was barely over the legal limit. If he's an alcoholic as he claims, that level shouldn't have caused ourtrageous behavior. Maybe it would in someone who seldom drinks and can't hold his/her liquor, but not in someone who's an alcoholic. My alcoholic uncle drank like a fish (died of cirrhosis of the liver), and I never once saw him act drunk.

Maybe Mel had something in his system besides tequila. Or maybe he was just having some sort of psychological break with normalcy because he's distraught about what's going on in the Middle East.

Whatever the reason, baaaaaaaaaaaaad PR move, Mel. Very bad.

I watched CNN in the morning this week and a few other stations who seem OBSESSED with the Gibson story while this one seems to have gotten rather underreported:

The Seattle shooter who killed one woman and shot five other women in the stomach, Naveed Afzal Haq (I know - - it doesn't roll off the tongue as easily as Mel Gibson's name), after declaring he was a "Muslim American" who was "angry with Israel" has been charged (today) with 9 felony counts including murder, hate crimes and kidnapping.

Not trying to get this thread bumped down to the Political threads, but just seemed a tad out of balance to me.

But, that's just me.

J.

I watched CNN in the morning this week and a few other stations who seem OBSESSED with the Gibson story while this one seems to have gotten rather underreported:

The Seattle shooter who killed one woman and shot five other women in the stomach, Naveed Afzal Haq (I know - - it doesn't roll off the tongue as easily as Mel Gibson's name), after declaring he was a "Muslim American" who was "angry with Israel" has been charged (today) with 9 felony counts including murder, hate crimes and kidnapping.

Not trying to get this thread bumped down to the Political threads, but just seemed a tad out of balance to me.

But, that's just me.

J.

I agree, J.

Whatever a person might say (reprehensible as it may be),

is NOTHING compared to the hate crime that occured in that synagogue.

Spewing verbal filth is one thing.

Spewing bullets is another.

The media is living up to their reputation.

They are flying their true colors -- as always.

Now if the assasin happened to be blonde, blue eyed and Christian,

you can rest assured --- the media would be barely mentioning Mel.

But (so as not to derail this thread) I think

he's getting wayy too much air time for the *size of the crime*.

<_<

saw a piece on the teevee last night that folks who know him, and have known him for a while... say that this is a "demon he's been battling" for a long time... that there's a "good Mel" and a "bad Mel" and that the "bad Mel" is very very bad... and of course they relate to when he's drinking or when he's on the wagon... that he's a "mean drunk"... but those folks who were with him at the bar didn't say he was mean...