GreaseSpot Cafe

Strange stuff in the tomato patch

Ron G.

My father is an inveterate gardener, Ron (as opposed to invertabrate, which I originally typed, and would just be gross! :blink: ), and I've seen that from time to time when I was much younger.

A quick search also yields the following, which are a bit silly and fun. If you like gardening, and slightly off-center people, both of which I do.

Tomato Forum

Cooking for Engineers

So...even though that slimey little sack is meant to keep the seeds from sprouting "In Fruitero", sometimes, that's just not the case.

hehe,

QT

I assume they grew like that after they were left sitting out somewhere, already sliced?

Now if you cut a tomato open and found that ... that would be cool ...

Not sure, but I'm guessing since they are green they must have seen some sun ...

Also, none of the little sprouts appear to be cut when the tomato was cut, so they appear to have grown after ... and the way the skin of the tomato has pulled in around the edges seems to indicate it has shriveled a little while the sprouts were starting ...

Just trying to do my snopes impersonation :)

OK, I looked at the cooking for engineers site, I guess they do grow and get green while in the tomato .. maybe

Edited by rhino

:redface2:

As someone who frequently buys "healthy stuff" with the greatest of intentions...... I'm afraid I HAVE seen this more times than I care to mention. :redface:

I can also provide a run down on other fruits and veggies and what happens to them if they aren't consumed within a timely manner. :ph34r: