GreaseSpot Cafe

A Friend Who Has Shingles Needs Advice:

notinKansasanymore

Well, actually the pain STARTS when the blisters go away.

There used to be nothing much you could do (and NO, none of the alternative medicine treatments do much of anything near as I can tell), but there IS a vaccine now for Chicken Pox that I guess is very effective on shingles. It's still a new treatment and may be hard to find, but it IS out there.

I plan on trying it, if my shingles ever flare up again.

They are NO fun...

There is a machine you can rent or get from the hospital supply places.

It is called a "tens unit".

Some insurance will pay for it.

It sends electro currents through your skin to help ease the pain.

Unfortunately there is nothing to get rid of it.

Thanks very, very much, folks.

In the interim, I happened across an advertisement for a new drug called "lyrica," which was developed especially for the pain that lingers after shingles sores heal. <www.lyrica.com>. However, there are quite a few health warnings, including that it could hurt a person's kidneys. But if anybody else is reading this thread looking for relief, that might be one option, with a doctor's close supervision.

I have forwarded all of your answers to my friend, and he is grateful for your advice.

Thanks again!

I had a brief chat with my PCP about singles as well as my mom - who had it once.

Since shingles symptoms vary widley with age/ gender/ etc - the person should absolutely consult with an MD. While rarely complicated or ciritcal it is varied enough that professionsal medical adivce should be consulted.

Best,

R