GreaseSpot Cafe

The Cone of Ernesto

Raf

The thing is, an approaching hurricane doesn't look that defined. Rmember, a hurricane band looks like nothing more than an approaching storm, indistinguishable from any other approaching storm, for the most part. I'm sure there are times it will look clearly defined, but if that pic was a hurricane, it would have to be one of the smallest in history.

The newest pic, however, is a hurricane that has been known to do some serious damage.

Well most outer bands I've seen were just squall lines, nothing that large ... and after you said that I'd think it is probably not from a hurricane ... but it could be... maybe. I didn't really consider that someone would bother to put up a fake hurricane pic. The fact that it was used pre Isabel lends credence to it not being a hurricane at all. I don't think that curve is part of the eye wall, or of the main circulation of a hurricane. Where is Lifted Up?

hurricane-allen-19800809-smsir.jpg

I wonder if some of those isolated red cells in the outer bands to the west could look like that pic. I don't see why not. It would be cool to see video of how those tornadoes get spawned of the bands, like they say happens.

Anyway, nice big cloud bank with a little circular action on the tail of the cloud.

Looks like we're going to get a whole lot of rain with this one. :blink:

Most gas lines are intolerable. But hubby went out this morning and only had to wait 15 mins.

Laundry's done. I'm making home made chicken soup. We have movies and popcorn.

I think we're ready :unsure:

My prayers are for all the GS Floridians.

Sunnyfla :love3:

Here, we're waiting to see what UPS is going to do. If they aren't shipping, we aren't working. Just no need since nothing will be going out. I'm not going to be putting the wood up over the windows, but I will be bringing in the patio furniture and tiki torches.

I recently saw a picture of a cloud like the one in question in a National Geographic article about tornadoes. It was called a wall cloud, and tornado chasers often call it a "mother ship" because it is likely to spawn tornadoes. This one was over the prairie states, Oklahoma or some place, was horrible looking. Whatever it is properly called, if I saw one, I'd run like the very devil!

Raf....I'm praying for all you Florida folks....I know how it is.

Medic and I were living in Gulf Shores, AL when big ol' nasty Ivan hit 9/16/04

It's a day forever etched in my memory. 2004 and 2005 were horrible seasons.

Just cloudy in Orlando, but we're still closing down the plant at 3pm. The Production Line was sent home at 10am. I get to go home at 2pm. :dance:

'Twill enjoy relaxing on the couch with a good book and enjoying the pitter patter of raindrops on the roof.

Well, We had storm after storm last evening..now its so humid and drizzly. This morning I looked out and it looked like the clouds were touching the ground, couldnt see a thing....The barametric pressure must be very low..my head and body feels like I am in a fog..ha

when the barametric numbers are low it causes the mind to relax and get sleepy. I know this cause I worked in a Public school for 7yrs and we never tested kids if the numbers were low..we felt it wasnt fair to them..

now I have derailed my own thread.

...The barametric pressure must be very low..my head and body feels like I am in a fog..ha

when the barametric numbers are low it causes the mind to relax and get sleepy. I know this cause I worked in a Public school for 7yrs and we never tested kids if the numbers were low..we felt it wasnt fair to them..

now I have derailed my own thread.

That's really interesting! I've never heard of that. Wow! The things we learn on here. :thinking:

Yeah, this wasn't even as much rain, wind and whatnot that we get during a regular thunderstorm. I did enjoy having a few extra hours at home to catch up on some reading and enjoy listening to the rain out in the FL Room. :anim-smile:

Greetings from the Cape Fear Area of North Carolina :eusa_clap:

I live in Wilmington NC about 1/2 mile from the Cape Fear River......just a couple of minutes from Carolina Beach. Justloafing lives a few miles north, close to Wrightsville Beach.

We are all hunkered down for a rainy, windy night, we will touch base when the sun comes up and the storm passes on.

Radar :wave:

Edited by Radar OReilly

We made it thru just fine, it was really just a bad rainy storm. Lots of flooding here, but I am above the flood zone :), a few limbs and branches, leaves and pine cones.

Thanks for the prayers...........glad you survived your first hurricane likeaneagle. This one was like a hurricane on training wheels.;)

Radar

I made it out to the grocery store this afternoon only to find out the creek was flooded and the main road barrackaded. I stopped at the Super Walmart and they only had half the store with electric, meaning all the frozen foods were no good..People were shopping for food in the dark...It was busy..the lines were long so I scurried my buttsky out of there...

Im am glad its over.THe rain has stopped.