GreaseSpot Cafe

Name that TV Show

Raf

Might as well play here.  Naming a TV show from spoken lines was really tough.

Once this particular round is over, though, we should return to our regular programming.

Wil Wheaton always used Skeletor clips on his short-lived SyFy show.  I'm going to guess

"Masters of the Universe"

George

Rankin/Bass will always be remembered for their Christmas specials. However, they also did a very famous television cartoon series. This series spawned a remake/reboot over a decade later. It had a lot of successful merchandise sales with the show's logo. There were several comic books. two video games, plus another that appeared on the Cartoon Network website.    This cartoon had 4 seasons, and the cartoons were released in 6 DVD sets.  Possibly the hardest action figure to find anywhere is "Driller" -for the few fans who remember him. Wil Wheaton might be able to join me in telling you about him from memory, however- he's spoken up as a big fan of the original series.  What is this series?

This well-known series (unconnected to He-Man or the MotU) combined science fiction and fantasy elements, including a magic sword. (Still not He-Man nor part of that franchise-that was Filmation.)    Here's a clue I never thought I'd give...At the very beginning of this children's cartoon series, the main characters appear on-screen naked and are told they will need to start wearing clothes- and are immediately assigned the outfits we all know them for wearing.

If the spec-script for the cinematic movie ever gets off the ground, Milla Jovovich said she's interested in playing someone in the principal cast, if they offer her the role.

One of my pet peeves of adventure cartoons appeared here.  A villain transforms into HIMSELF all the time (by name and everything.)

This show´s first episode set up the premise for the entire series.  If you made it to the end of the 4th season, you actually got a conclusion to the entire story, a proper ending- unusual for a kid´s cartoon.   It´s another story that included ¨the staff chick¨, a female wielding a staff.  Other weapons include a whip and nunchucks. There´s also high tech, but it´s not as important in the first season- all 65 episodes of it!

On 8/23/2018 at 1:29 AM, WordWolf said:

Rankin/Bass will always be remembered for their Christmas specials. However, they also did a very famous television cartoon series. This series spawned a remake/reboot over a decade later. It had a lot of successful merchandise sales with the show's logo. There were several comic books. two video games, plus another that appeared on the Cartoon Network website.    This cartoon had 4 seasons, and the cartoons were released in 6 DVD sets.  Possibly the hardest action figure to find anywhere is "Driller" -for the few fans who remember him. Wil Wheaton might be able to join me in telling you about him from memory, however- he's spoken up as a big fan of the original series.  What is this series?

This well-known series (unconnected to He-Man or the MotU) combined science fiction and fantasy elements, including a magic sword. (Still not He-Man nor part of that franchise-that was Filmation.)    Here's a clue I never thought I'd give...At the very beginning of this children's cartoon series, the main characters appear on-screen naked and are told they will need to start wearing clothes- and are immediately assigned the outfits we all know them for wearing.

If the spec-script for the cinematic movie ever gets off the ground, Milla Jovovich said she's interested in playing someone in the principal cast, if they offer her the role.

One of my pet peeves of adventure cartoons appeared here.  A villain transforms into HIMSELF all the time (by name and everything.)

The Thundercats logo is VERY recognizable.  Around the freaking world.  Characters with fur were able to get away with looking dressed before they got their uniforms. Sorta like a cartoon Chewbacca thing.  Wil Wheaton appeared in a feature on a boxed set talking about being a big fan.   Milla Jovovich wants to play Cheetara.    Mumm-ra said, all the time: ¨Ancient spirits of evil, transform this decayed form into Mumm-Ra the Ever-Living!¨ and was changed into the bodybuilder version from the mummy version.  That always bugged me.   Of course, you´ve heard of The Sword of Omens.    BTW, season 1 was 65 episodes, which means the show should seem like it lasted more than 4 seasons.

On 8/26/2018 at 4:44 PM, WordWolf said:

This show´s first episode set up the premise for the entire series.  If you made it to the end of the 4th season, you actually got a conclusion to the entire story, a proper ending- unusual for a kid´s cartoon.   It´s another story that included ¨the staff chick¨, a female wielding a staff.  Other weapons include a whip and nunchucks. There´s also high tech, but it´s not as important in the first season- all 65 episodes of it!

The first episode showed the Thundercats and Thunderians fleeing the destruction of their home planet.  The last episode actually has them finish restoring it. (I'll know more when I see the entire episode once.)  Cheetara wielded a staff, Panthro's weapon was nunchuks and Tygra used a whip.  Lion-O used the claw shield and Sword of Omens.

Edited by WordWolf
typo.

About 3,000 actors, no lie, tried out for the lead male role. The guy who got the part was the last to audition.

He's kind of famous now. Like, really, really famous.

A trademark of the series was to break the fourth wall, with the lead actors well aware that they were characters in a tv dra... com... show.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I made the same mistake WW made, which was to treat this thread the same as TV Mashup.

So George, if you don't mind returning us to our regularly scheduled programming: next clue should be quotes from a show.