GreaseSpot Cafe

Name that TV Show

Raf

No.

The "cards" were not playing cards, but flip cards with increasing numbers (in five-dollar increments?). A panel-type game show, a card was flipped when a panel member made an incorrect guess. If all ten cards were flipped, the contestant won. Sometimes, it was clear that the panel had no idea, and the moderator would simply "flip all the cards" and declare the contestant a winner. Ergo, my earlier post. The question, "Is it bigger than a breadbox?" was first popularized an this show.

Any guesses?

George

was that the show with Bennet Cerf and Kitty Carlisle (unsure of the spelling on her name)?

Yes. Somehow this thread has turned into The Nostalgia Thread. Sudo -- where are you? :anim-smile:

And, ocasionally, a contestant was well-known, so the panelists were blindfolded, adn the contestant disguised his/her voice.

George

We have a winner! In "What's My Line?" a contestant would be quizzed by the panel (asking yes or no questions), trying to guess the contestant's occupation. Ten "No" answers, and the contestant won. As I mentioned, if thepanel wan't getting close (or if time was running out), the moderator would flip all the cards and declare the contestant a winner. Of course, if, say, President Eisenhower were the contestant, it would be obvious, so in such cases the panelists were blindfolded. The show ran for 17 years, and then about ten more in syndicated reruns.

The similar show was "To Tell the Truth." The show challenged a panel of four celebrities to correctly identify a described contestant who typically had an unusual occupation or experience. This "central character" was joined by two "imposters" who pretended to be that central character. The celebrity panelists questioned the team of challengers, with the imposters allowed to lie, but the central character "sworn to tell the truth". Occasionally, the show would "cheat," in that all three were priests, or fashion designers, or whatever. (In those cases, there was something distinctive about the real contestant -- archbishop, or inventor of the miniskirt, or whatever. At the end of each session, the panelists would vote for the person they thought was telling the truth. Each wrong guess earned the contestant $250, or $1000 if all were wrong. ($150 was awarded as a consolation prize if all the panelists figured it out.) The regular panelists I remember were Kitty Carlyle, Peggy Cass, Tom Poston, adn Orson Bean; but there were many others over the years.

Anyway, bulwinkl is up. Give us some quotes!

George

• 3 weeks later...

"Don't you remember? We said we were going to be creative this year and make gifts instead of spending a lot of money Christmas shopping."

"Well, I know we said it, I just didn't know we meant it."

"I shop, therefore I am."

"Mom, I need to reevaluate my life. Do you have a minute?"

"People who have money don't need people."

"Remember when we were kids and I run you over with my bicycle?"

"Yes."

"I have a car now."

George

Next TV show.

"If you cut us, do we not bleed? If you slap us, do we not swell up? If you spit on us, do we not get wet?"

"The answer to all these questions is yes."

"My family may have left Poland in disgrace, but some day we'll return the same way!"

"Those boys have got the right idea. We should try making money at what we really love to do."

"I think we'd get arrested for that.."

Actually, it was the last quote that made me think of the girls. And I think Shirley was Polish. (Obviously, Laverne wasn't!)

New show soon.

George

I think Shirley was Irish. She was Shirley Feeney, her father was Jack Feeney.

LENNY was Polish, Lenny Koznowski. (Something like that.)

Anyway...

"Did you revise the casualty projections?"

"Of course...Here they are."

"Just give me the number."

"Two to five million dead within the first 48 hours."

"Good enough."

"I was unfairly harsh to you a few minutes ago, I didn't mean anything."

"All right. Apology accepted."

"It wasn't really an apology, it was more of an observation."

"You are gonna tell me what I wanna know, it's just a matter of how much you want it to hurt."

George